• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is oblivion working for you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

I love this game. I even skiped class one day just to play it (i don't think people should do that) so now i have a lot of hours in to the game and i want to keep playing but i have a problem. I had something like 120 saves on the game and then i got turned in to a dang Vampire. I slept for 560 hrs and when ever i slept for 1 hr more (no matter where in the world) i would always be bit. This was okay for a bit because everything worked and i didnt have the sun effects. But now something is messing up

I can no longer save my game. I also cant load any of my before saves. I can only load 1 save and that one is when it auto saves. THIS IS MAKING ME MAD. I can't do anything anymore (like take chances). If i die i go back to the last door i went though. Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me? :shrug:

Take care
KF

Hmmm... did you tweak your .ini file at all ? What about mods, are you using any ? I am also a vampire in the game and it had no effect what-so-ever on my ability to save and load games, as it shouldnt. I find it hard to believe the game would just stop working, have you changed anything hardware wise ? Try using a default .ini or something :shrug:

dang...this sucks now ALL my game files are gone....i think i will uninstall it and try it again. I did not change any file or add any mod. Well thank you WaTTz i have read a few of your posts before and you have helped me before too...

I guess i am just going to have to start over again...*sigh* atleaste i love the game eh? ahaha

ticktock123 said:
dang...this sucks now ALL my game files are gone....i think i will uninstall it and try it again. I did not change any file or add any mod. Well thank you WaTTz i have read a few of your posts before and you have helped me before too...

I guess i am just going to have to start over again...*sigh* atleaste i love the game eh? ahaha

Well Im glad I could help :) Even though it seems as if the worst has come to this situation. I wonder how in the world all your game files got deleted ? Thats a strange one :shrug: Just make sure you back up your "My Games" folder as you go along next time. I just started doing it a week ago, and its actually pretty handy. Once you do a quest and dont like the rewards, just go back and put your old saves in and then your ready to do it the right way !!!!!

Good luck man :)

now is a new problem....i can't get the darn thing to uninstall it comes up with errors in Service Pack 2 IE. I have had problems with IE (hotmail doesn't think it is real) but i dont think ths should matter.

I don't want to just go and del the files them self because that won't work well...and i can't just install over the top because the files are already there...Can anyone help?

Sounds like your service pack 2 got corrupted. You may have some virus or spyware taking over your comp. Try and run a virus scan (AVG free), run a spyware scan (spybot search & destroy), defrag you HDD, and then try it. If not, you may need to reinstall Windows clean :shrug:

Ouch man. I swear i've heard a similar problem over on the official forums though. I'm like 30+ hours in and like 370+ saves later and havn't had an issue. While im no vampire, but have been bitten many times, and only played a vampire a few times just to see what it was like before restoring a game I've had no problems.

I run Oblivion on a beta copy of Windows XP. No probs what soever. Of course, this only works if you have a beta version of Windows XP.

However, I would try reinstalling windows. If that's not a viable option, reinstall service pack 2. Before you uninstall SP2, be sure to uninstall your video and audio drivers. Then, reinstall SP2. That should allow you to uninstall Oblivion.

If you still can't uninstall Oblivion, Delete it's folder. Then, use a registry cleaner such as regsupreme to remove the invalid entries. That should allow you to reinstall Oblivion without a hitch.

FYI: If every time you go to sleep you turn into a vampire, it means you contracted porphyric hemophilia at least three days prior. Just don't sleep and head to a church, and one of the Nine will fix things for you assuming you don't have a bounty on your head.
Vampires are fun though... well at least until you head into Oblivion and learn the full implication of your weakness to fire. But I suppose that is why I have magic reflect gear...

futura2001 said:
FYI: If every time you go to sleep you turn into a vampire, it means you contracted porphyric hemophilia at least three days prior. Just don't sleep and head to a church, and one of the Nine will fix things for you assuming you don't have a bounty on your head.
Vampires are fun though... well at least until you head into Oblivion and learn the full implication of your weakness to fire. But I suppose that is why I have magic reflect gear...

Ahhh I don't think ridding yourself of the vamp is that easy.....I had to talk to the witch and collect all of the goods she requested first... then wait 24hrs and only then would she give me the cure...this took a while as the items she want aren't exactly plentiful.

As for the first poster...It sounds like you have are a vamp rather than anything being buggered up with your comp....while a vamp you can't wait in the daylight (you die).

Being a vamper can be a good thing as it makes your strong....but having to suck blood daily is annoyimng and this resets your powers to base anyway so the daylight is pretty much out of the question if you want to be a vamp and be powerful......seek a cure before you erase your files and see if this works.....you need 6 cloves of garlic, some blood grass...vampire dust from a particular vamp and some other items ....and give them to the witch.....gl

invisible hand said:
Ahhh I don't think ridding yourself of the vamp is that easy.....I had to talk to the witch and collect all of the goods she requested first...

Within the first 3 days of catching the virus, you can go to the chapel and get healed, or drink a potion - only after those 3 days does your only option become going to the witch or accepting your dark fate.

do you guys know each one of those saves is over 4MB each!? You are just hosing your hard drives with that many. My friend had over 500 and when he cleaned them out he said the game was much more responsive.

ticktock123,

look in my documents>my games>oblivion>saves

are all your saves there?

I personally have a problem where I can't save at all. If you start out quicksaving, the game won't let you use regular saves.

Also, did you go to a chapel? because if you still have the disease before you go to sleep you are going to be turned into a vampire every time. go to a chapel, get the blessing, then sleep.

The Chapel is also good for when you get beat up with some attribute stealing weapon or magick. I ran all around the map looking for ingredients to restore my intelligence when Bairwyn's ghost got in a few shots with an intelligence sucking staff. Then I got bit by a vampire cleaning out a cave while looking for an artifact. I went to the chapel and not only got the vamp cure but also got the intelligence restored!

yeah my friend had just over 3GB in saves! there is no reason to keep so many and according to him, it made his game sluggish. I prefer to use the quicksave, which keeps one quickload and one quicksave. And every so often I backup the files to another hard drive just in case.

My saves are just under 2megs a piece. But the older ones I just zipped up anyways so I just keep recent ones in the directory.

Back