• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need CRT advice, old one fried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

How ironic can it get? Last night I was posting in the CRT discussion thread here and after few minutes poof, screen res blows up and blurs and after few seconds it shrinks to the middle with wavy lines, it was quite psycodelic and if I was stoned it would be very funny.
It was a ViewSonic E70f, I'm currently using the same model I took from my dads computer.
Now, first thing tomorrow we are going to get me a new one but there are some serious monetary issues right now so I'm going to go as low as I can without buying a piece of crap.
The best option is a 17' CRT but I have no idea what to look for :(
I never actually went out and bought a monitor, I had 3 in the last 12 years I've been into computers, first one was a 15' in 94 and then came the ViewSonic that died in 2000 (and of course the same monitor my dad is using). What do I need to look for? I've got no idea :shrug:
I never did research on CRT's because I was sure that my next monitor will be a LCD.
My friends recommended me a Samsung, he doesn't remember the exact model but I think its the 997.
Again, money is a huge issue here as I'm living off my savings and my parents are paying for the education.

Look in your local classifieds. My brother has found several nice ViewSonic and other CRTs there. He currently has 19" Viewsonic and it'll do 70hz or so I think at 1600x1200, etc. :)

Spoudazo said:
Look in your local classifieds. My brother has found several nice ViewSonic and other CRTs there. He currently has 19" Viewsonic and it'll do 70hz or so I think at 1600x1200, etc. :)
No time, this has to be bought first thing in the morning tomorrow, two computers and one screen isn't a good combination....

Flip-Mode said:
No time, this has to be bought first thing in the morning tomorrow, two computers and one screen isn't a good combination....

Well local stores, or at least around here, carry basically no good CRTs. They're all cheap 1024x768 4 year old CRTs that have been collecting dust.

Shopping around your town you can get it done today :p

I have the same model, it'll do 1024x768 at 100hz 1186x900 (or whatever weird res that is, I'm using it now) at 100hz, and also it did 1280x960 at 100hz but then it stopped working and displayed the "Hz?" sign meaning it couldn't do that, though it did for a few seconds at least! :D

It'll also do 800x600 at 140 or 144hz, hehehe :)

Flip-Mode said:
Nope, its a 17" so I guess this is this model. I'm going to shopping tonight, going to see whats selling and do HW on the model #'s.

You could probably get a better monitor than that for $50 in your classifieds. I find $50 17-19" CRTs that do 1600x1200 now and then. :)

Back