• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning eyes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vyel

Registered
I spend a lot of time on the computer. Both games and school related / coding. Sometimes after a long day, my eyes will burn when I close them to goto sleep, and when I wake up the next day.

I'm using a 17" CRT.

I've heard an LCD can reduce this - can anyone share their experiences with me?

I don't want to be blind before I'm 30...

:welcome:

Turn down the brightness on you're monitor after time you're eyes will adjust to the lower setting just fine.

Most people turn their monitors up to high.
I did when i had a CRT.

Try that .

MassRaptor

I'm sure you've heard this before, but are you sure that the monitor is at 85hz or higher? That will be flicker free, with anything below that being very eye straining (to most at least) And are you trying to run too high of a resolution? something like 1600x1200 wouldn't be a good choice since it will be so small and with a CRT would be blurry and you'll be straining to read the text. If you wear glasses becaus of near sightedness, take them off if possible when at the computer.

Anyway, LCD's generally are better for your eyes and I agree from personal experience. But don't expect miracles if you're on them too much anyway. Just relax, sit a bit back from the screen, and let your eyes take rests. Eat a good diet... excercise.. sounds very cliche but it helps. It's far from optimal to have your eyes in pain, don't let it go too far and listen to your eye doctor.

EDIT: I will second massraptor's advice on brightness control. It helped me a lot in the past, but this lcd I usually use not isn't too bright anyway so I forgot about it.

Brightness is down a bit already. Refresh is set at 75hz (max). Resolution is 1024x768, and I'm sitting a about an arm's length away usually.

Just yesterday I took a picture and looked at it on my CRT, and it looked like half of it was completely black. Viewed it on my laptop and I could make it out.

I spend a lot of time looking at white backgrounds while coding. I don't know how much that has to do with it... come to think of it, even after I'm done just gaming my eyes will usually burn :(

Even working on my LCD's after awhile my eyes burn too.
When i play BF2 for 5hour session i still get eye burn.

I'm not the Cyber Athlete i used to be :beer: ( LOL )

A bad or going BAd CRT can be just as bad.

On the flip sdie of the coin it could also be eye strain over time as you work.Will also give you burn.

MassRaptor

I think the issue is that you just have a very old monitor. If you're doing desktop work mostly theres no reason to get anything but a 2005/2405FPW - i think you'll be blown away... You'll definitely dig the real estate.

Back