• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help deciding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

party animal

Saratoga, CA/University of California Irvine
Well, it turns out my motherboard crapped out on me :bang head (this is the second time, the first motherboard was a Shuttle AN35N Ultra) So im deciding to get a cpu + motherboard combo at fry's as a replacement until i can RMA the motherboard. There are two deals going on right now, but i dont want to buy online as that takes more time than going to a store that is a 15 minute drive.

The breakdown:
Deal 1: ECS Nforce 3 motherboard + A64 3000+ (im assuming this is S754 cuz the sempron deal uses the same motherboard) Price = $120 + tax

Deal 2: Same motherboard as above, + Sempron 2800+ (64-bit? anyone want to shed some light on that?) Price = $70 + tax.

Keep in mind that this is to hold me over until i can get my Athlon XP up and running again, but this will probably perform better than my AXP so i might just exchange it out. I am going to go with a new sysytem at the end of this year, maybe early next year. I asked my friend and he said to go with the sempron cuz its only needed to hold me over. So now i want your opinions. Thanks a bunch.

my vote is for the second setup especially if the sempron has 2800+cache
i need more info about hte cpu core
sempron if 64 bit will do 2.2 2.4 range default vcore
A64 id 0.13 then 2.2 2.5 default core if 0.09 then the previews value would be higher
so just cechk the cache and the core name of borth cpu so i can help u to find out witch one is better

okay, the only info i can find on AMD's website is the Sempron has 256kb cache and there are D0 E3 E6 steppings. Im guessing the A64 is a hammer core. 130nm Ill try to make a stop at frys to double check, hopefully someone knows someting there :p

Oh, one more question, how can you tell if its 130nm or 90nm ie. a 90nm A64 and a 130nm A64 for S754, because there are the hammer/NC cores and the Venice core. Thanks.

Last edited:
you need to get some more info on EXACTLY what sempron it is, and 3000+ for that matter

with sempron, there are 64bit and non 64bit versions

and 3000+ there is a venice s754

if it's the venice on for the 3000+, i'd get that

Back