• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i got GR:AW today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 of my friends say they can't run the game properly even at 800x600 with everything at min .. infact changing from high to low doesnt even makes that much of a difference in fps ( noting from FRAPS ) both of them are using nvidia cards ( 7800gs and 6800 Ultra )

A little off topic but is it me or have been more games having issues with nVidia cards recently?

GRAW will run around 30-40fps w/ a 7-series card on average with the correct settings, and preferrably 2gb of RAM so you can change the "texture managed" options in the XML file.

i find the same thing, when running at 1280x1024 with settings on medium and low dynamic shadows and 4x AF. 2gb of ram etc.

1280 1024 med detail, no FSAA, runs fine here (i'd guess 40 - 50 FPS, slight visible lag when hostiles appear) That is, on a dothan 2.6 2GB bh5 and x800XT.

/me want conroe

I got it yesterday. I didnt get to play it much because of work. But it ran fairly well on my rig.

deathman20 said:
A little off topic but is it me or have been more games having issues with nVidia cards recently?

It’s actually a topic I have been putting some thought in. As of late nvidia has been putting a ton of energy with packing clocks with pipes. Pretty strait forward right? While in the camp on the side of the pond, we have ATI that has been writing each and every part of the their software engine with precision in mind, not just raw pipes and clock speeds in mind. Yes ATI has notoriously ran higher clocked cores. But for everything software aspect, ATI has a custom coded and written program to handle the instructions per clock for that individual item. Where as Nvidia acts like the proverbial melting pot, and just takes it as it goes, sometimes ending shoving square blocks in round holes, thus having performance hiccups and sometimes out and out performance "deaths" as of late in their newest cards. Why are we hearing of more and more 7xxx series cards eating it? Simply because, the dump truck method to handling instructions is becoming obsolete VERY fast, with more and more shaders per clock, much higher resolutions and pixel output, the strain on precision rises with each new app that is released. Sadly for the guys that wish to stay in the Nvidia camp are losing ground once again, the lofty dominance that 6xxx series has given us is about to fall on its face again. ATI is doing what they did 3 years ago with the 9700 and 9800 cards. They cut back on pipes and pixel clocks, in favor of compatible and precise software instructions. With DirectX10 at the doorstep, who knows what new problems and issues will arise with the current formula for fast graphic processing? Only time will tell, but the ultimate question, will Nvidia realize too late? Will this turn into another FX-series face plant? Or will the Nvidia behemoth ride on, crushing everything in its path? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
chevro1et said:
Nice analysis shard.

Agreed. At least im not the only one thats thinkin that currently. Just started seeing alot more posts about issues and was curious from a nVidia guys perspective if thats what you guys are thinking also?

shard said:
It’s actually a topic I have been putting some thought in. As of late nvidia has been putting a ton of energy with packing clocks with pipes. Pretty strait forward right? While in the camp on the side of the pond, we have ATI that has been writing each and every part of the their software engine with precision in mind, not just raw pipes and clock speeds in mind. Yes ATI has notoriously ran higher clocked cores. But for everything software aspect, ATI has a custom coded and written program to handle the instructions per clock for that individual item. Where as Nvidia acts like the proverbial melting pot, and just takes it as it goes, sometimes ending shoving square blocks in round holes, thus having performance hiccups and sometimes out and out performance "deaths" as of late in their newest cards. Why are we hearing of more and more 7xxx series cards eating it? Simply because, the dump truck method to handling instructions is becoming obsolete VERY fast, with more and more shaders per clock, much higher resolutions and pixel output, the strain on precision rises with each new app that is released. Sadly for the guys that wish to stay in the Nvidia camp are losing ground once again, the lofty dominance that 6xxx series has given us is about to fall on its face again. ATI is doing what they did 3 years ago with the 9700 and 9800 cards. They cut back on pipes and pixel clocks, in favor of compatible and precise software instructions. With DirectX10 at the doorstep, who knows what new problems and issues will arise with the current formula for fast graphic processing? Only time will tell, but the ultimate question, will Nvidia realize too late? Will this turn into another FX-series face plant? Or will the Nvidia behemoth ride on, crushing everything in its path? Only time will tell.

I think developers could code games to take a better advantage of the x1900 extra pixel processors. Very possible IMO.

dan

Well I just got Ghost Recon for my Xbox 360.
Ushally when a game is really good I get this wierd feeling in my torso as a sign of WOW, or amazement. Previous games that did this were Half-life (this is a big one), Half-life 2 (When I first played the first chapter), and WoW (Big one aswell). I had that feeling, in the begining sequence, the graphics are STUNNING, it's amazing!

yep graphics are good.. how come i see screenshots of pc version and the interface of the soldiers helmets have ablue border around the screen.

when I actualyl play the game theres no border.

geestring said:
yep graphics are good.. how come i see screenshots of pc version and the interface of the soldiers helmets have ablue border around the screen.

when I actualyl play the game theres no border.

Thats what you can all art prepped marketing. Almost all the time, more bling will drive sales.

I played on the 360 and it didnt have it either. Is it realy a problem though? I would have thought it was gonna be pretty distracting, the new interface is much more streamlined

Me and a couple of buddies picked up GRAW-PC today...

It's a good single player game but the problem is that the multiplayer end is incredibly buggy, especially GameSpy Arcade. Currently, there's no easy way (or hard way for that matter) to join up with friends in a Co-op game unless you use a third party VPN program such as Hamachi or BattleLAN. I bought the game primarily to play online and it's pretty unplayable at this point.

Maybe I'm missing something? Otherwise, just a heads-up.

Regards,
Ish

Back