• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new 930 - too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyemarn

I cant wait for C1 preslers and bought a B1 few days ago. using thermaltake soprano case, sycthe kamariki 2 550W PSU and Scythe Ninja. Room temp is around 25C(in japan now). at stock speed the load temp reported by my P5LD2 Deluxe mobo is around 52C. Overclocked to 3.6Ghz at stock voltage and temp max at 62C under load. Idle temp is around 42C. Is this normal ? I used artic silver 5 instead of the provided thermal paste. Is it because I put too little and there is no contact between core and the ninja? Installation was quite hard but managed to do it. I did spread the artice silver around the core. Please help.

I suspect poor contact between IHS and the ninja. Should I remove it and put more AS5? Or the temperatures are normal? Should I lower the voltage?

More is not always better with thermal compound.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

For what it's worth, the temp sensors are usually pretty inaccurate. Board sensors vary so much from say Asus to Abit to DFI, that you can never really tell who is correct.

The Scythe Ninja doesn't come with any fans and works a whole lot better with a fan blowing through it. Also check if your IHS is flat or dished in, the Ninja's base is very wide and rests on the outside edged of the IHS, so there will be bad contact if the IHS is dished in. Use a razor blade as a straight edge, resting of the edges of the IHS and check if you can see a space in the middle where the cores are.

Here's some of my temps with a 930 and the Scythe with (2) 120mm fans on it:
Ambient temp = 22c

MHz......Idle......load...Vcore
3.0........32........44.....1.35v
3.8........36........48.....1.45v
4.2........38........52.....1.52v
4.8........42........59.....1.56v

EDIT: Checking temps with the BIOS temp monitor can be deceiving because the processor is working pretty hard in the BIOS, so the temps you see in the BIOS monitor shouldn't be considered "IDLE" temps....This is whay I've seen with the ASUS P5WD2 series mobos, other mobos may be different

Thanks for everyone's advive. I think something is wrong with the contact. I'm not very sure and don't feel like removing the ninja again just the check it. When I touch the ninja I can feel some heat. Does this mean the ninja is working fine? I have ninja pro and using the 120mm fan which comes with it. I have another 92mm fan blowing from the top(tt soprano case). 120mm fan and PSU's 92mm fan sucking out the hot air.
Heatpipes near the processor are hot too. Should I just leave it? I'm doing 250fsb 3.75Ghz at 1.3V now. Temp maxes at 62C. What is the max temp for this preslers?

Overclocker.IL said:
I think 62C at load is o.k .... I hope it's Load temps ...

you have a problem at 62c load...anything over 60 on most cpu;s will shorten its lifespan if it is run that hot after a while, and also lead to instability

Overclocker.IL said:
I think 62C at load is o.k .... I hope it's Load temps ...

Not much more then 63c the chip starts to throttle back 50%. Presler core CPUs are speced at 63c. Dont let it run even 63c though. Anything < 60c is probably ok.

Thanks everyone for advice. My system's specs is :

Pentium D 930 B1
512OEM DDR2533 2 sticks
Seagate 300GB 7200.9 SATA2
LG H-10N DVD RW
Galaxy 7600GS 256MB DDR3
Leadtek TV Card
TT Soprano casing
Scythe ninja pro with 120mm fan
Scythe Kamariki 2 550W PSU

I can prime stabily for more than 12 hours with 1.3V BIOS at 250fsb. Temp reaches around 60C. Idle is around 45C. The problem is when I restart PC through Windows, it will shutdown instead of restarting. When I chose save settings and reboot in BIOS the pc will shutdown automatically too instead of restarting.

My room temp is around 24C. Mobo temp around 35 but CPU reaches 60. I think I installed the ninja wrongly or maybe no enough contact. I dont want to lap the IHS or Ninja to void warranty. With Artic Silver 5 any tips I can ensure maximum contact? I don't feel like removing the ninja because installation is hard.

Any advice? Or do I get a bad chip? Or should I raise the Vcore to 1.35V? Any advice on performance mode settings and PCI-E bus speed? Thanks.

This is the screenshot of 240fsb prime stable and can restart Windows or save bios settings.

Attachments

• 240fsb 1.3v.JPG
    240fsb 1.3v.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 503
I have removed the ninja and reseat it again. Instead of spreading the Artic Silver 5, i put a dot in the middle. I found out the CPU socket is a bit crooked towards inside. Is it because of Ninja's pressure? Will it void the motherboard's warranty?

After booting up I found only 1-2C of temperature drop? I'm not sure what's the problem. Room temperature around 25C. Mobo temp max at 38C and CPU at around 60C. Is it normal ? Im using Thermaltake Soprano. 1X120mm intake,1 92mm intake beside the case above the cpu and one 120mm exhaust fan. using ninja with the provided 120mm fan mounted towards the exhaust instead of PSU. PSU comes with at 92mm exhaust fan.

Please help. Im only using 1.3V in BIOS but the CPU temp is high.

Is that 930 a 65nm CPU? Because that seems a little high for me as well. I run a 940, 65nm water cooled, and it idles around 16*C stock. Without watercooling id probably put it around 20ish idle stock. I'm not super expert in this matter, but it sounds like either a sensor is bad and not picking up the right temps, or your CPU is defective and it's time for an RMA.

well the cpu is running fine and no problems doing prime95 for hours. is just that the temp is worrying me. is it possible to rma a cpu because of high temperature?

If you got it off newegg or a similar retailer then you can return/exchange it but Intel will most likely not RMA it for "running hot".

I didn't buy from newegg. I dont think the shop will let me exchange it. Im thinking of removing the casings front intake fan and use it for ninja because its more powerful than the stock ninja fan. Will this helps to reduce temperature? Im not sure whether ninja likes strong fan. Should I mount the fan towards the rear exhaust fan or towards the PSU? And the side casing fan above the ninja, should I switch it to intake instead of exhaust? Or in other words should I focus on more cfm for intake or exhaust?

Thanks everyone for advice.

Im really not sure why my temp are so high. I reduced the CPU voltage to 1.225V in BIOS and priming now. Should be stable but the temp at load are still high. 57C for CPU and 40C for mobo. Is it dangerous to reduce CPU voltage? Please advice if I can do anything to reduce the temp and overclock more.

Attachments

• oc1.JPG
    oc1.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 363
if it's stable at a lower voltage then it's totally ok to run like that, even beneficial as you said because of the lower temps.

I have been priming for over 36hours at 1.25V at 243fsb. Load temp around 55-57C. I have read Artic Silver's instruction and it says that I have to shut down my pc regularly to get lower temp. Is it true? Ive not shut down my PC for more than 5 mins since the day I assembled my PC. Should I do that? How long should I shut it off? Will I get lower temp?

wyemarn said:
Thanks everyone for advice.

Im really not sure why my temp are so high. I reduced the CPU voltage to 1.225V in BIOS and priming now. Should be stable but the temp at load are still high. 57C for CPU and 40C for mobo. Is it dangerous to reduce CPU voltage? Please advice if I can do anything to reduce the temp and overclock more.

If your MB temp is 40c, that is a good indication that case temps are high, I have the same problem. Every degree cooler the case, a degree cooler the proc will be. Good airflow is key here and opening up the side panel doesn't mean it will get cooler. Your processor is not running hot, it's just in a hot environment.
wyemarn said:
I have been priming for over 36hours at 1.25V at 243fsb. Load temp around 55-57C. I have read Artic Silver's instruction and it says that I have to shut down my pc regularly to get lower temp. Is it true? Ive not shut down my PC for more than 5 mins since the day I assembled my PC. Should I do that? How long should I shut it off? Will I get lower temp?
Arctic Silver takes about 200 hr to set in, through this 200hr you want to shut the PC off and let cool to room temperature numerous time. AFter these 200hr you may run your PC 24/7.

Hmm.. I have never used an intel before (but getting my first one soon, same model as this), although all the reviews I read, people said that they ran this thing OCed to like 3.4GHz at 30C Idle on stock HSF.

Back