• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 too dark for me, what tweaking options are there? (for PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I've finally decided that I'm going to finish Doom 3, as I never really got that far in it :p. The only problem is that it's too dark for my taste, even with the brightness up. Is there anyway to brighten it up without completely ruining the lighting environment? Like simply making the lights more intense? If not, then is there at least an option to disable lighting, and equally light everything? Like the open GL hacks? You all know what I"m talking about right? Anyway, the game is just too dark, and scary (part of the reason I stopped playing it into the first couple levels :beer: ) so really any suggestions at all for making it brighter would be great. Thank you!

EDIT!

If you are reading this, and thinking to yourself that the game is supposed to be dark, and you feel that you need to bring this to my attention, then please don't. I know the game is supposed to be dark, I don't need anyone to tell me that, I'm just looking for some ways to make this game better for me. If you like the game dark, then you don't need to worry, it's already perfect for you. However, I'd like it if it wasn't pitch black ever. Also please don't tell me that if I don't like the dark environment that I shouldn't be playing these types of games.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You can increase the gamma on your video card settings, if you do it to high though it looks like fog. If you were real persistent and wanted it perfect, you could go through the levels with the SDK and increase all the lights. This would be a ton of work however, maybe somebody has already done something like this, you might search for it.

just google doom3 mods, I am sure you can find some that turn all of the lights on, that or you can use the flashlight mod.

Janus67 said:
just google doom3 mods, I am sure you can find some that turn all of the lights on, that or you can use the flashlight mod.

...flashlight mod? What is this flashlight mod of which you speak?

Adjusting the gamma in-game via console is done with the command "r_gamma". So you'd type in "set com r_gamma 1.3" for example, which is the setting I use.

Yeah I never finished this either. I play games to relax and this one stressed me out even more! Scary game. I put on the 'duct tape' mod, it's really the only thing that made the game playable for me, otherwise it's completely pitch black for half the game and no fun at all.

--Illah

Illah said:
Yeah I never finished this either. I play games to relax and this one stressed me out even more! Scary game. I put on the 'duct tape' mod, it's really the only thing that made the game playable for me, otherwise it's completely pitch black for half the game and no fun at all.

--Illah

haha! That's EXACTLY how I am! :beer: In fact, that's usually the reason I cheat at games. You know how sometimes you have to try something over, and over and over and over and over? Well some people just keep pushing, but me, my brain is already about to explode after the second or third try...so I cheat :D

Anyway, I looked at the flashlight mods, and there are like a million of them!! :eek:

which do you all recommend? Is the simple duct tape mod the best? Thanks!

Yeah the separate flashlight thing was kinda retarded. I see what they're going for with the idea, but I find it kills the gameplay. When you see a monster and switch away to a gun you're just firing in the dark hoping you hit it? That might be semi-realistic but it's dumb.

I like the duct tape mod cuz it only affects some guns - i.e. guns where it'd be reasonable to be holding a flashlight and the gun at the same time. Pistols, shotguns, etc. The really big guns aren't modded since you couldn't expect to mount or hold a flashlight with a massive chaingun...but then again the fact that one guy can walk around with 10 weapons, some on which have to weigh 50-100lbs, and a truckload of various types of ammo in his pocket kinda makes any attempt at 'realism' pretty weak.

--Illah

Illah said:
Yeah the separate flashlight thing was kinda retarded. I see what they're going for with the idea, but I find it kills the gameplay. When you see a monster and switch away to a gun you're just firing in the dark hoping you hit it? That might be semi-realistic but it's dumb.

I know what you mean, I understand the concept but it makes the game almost unplayable.

I like the duct tape mod cuz it only affects some guns - i.e. guns where it'd be reasonable to be holding a flashlight and the gun at the same time. Pistols, shotguns, etc. The really big guns aren't modded since you couldn't expect to mount or hold a flashlight with a massive chaingun...but then again the fact that one guy can walk around with 10 weapons, some on which have to weigh 50-100lbs, and a truckload of various types of ammo in his pocket kinda makes any attempt at 'realism' pretty weak.

--Illah

lol, I always think about that in games, they try to make it look realistic, and then you got one guy with a payload of weapons that you would need a large trunk to carry around! Hah! :p but then again, the games aren't as cool when you can only carry a couple of weapons. :-/

I dunno I liked this game...it's suppose to be dark to force you to use the flashlight...ie. not having your gun in hand all the time to catch you by surprise.....you get really fast at hitting F...by the way hitting F while you have the flashlight up gives you back the last gun you held.

Well I haven't tried any of the flashlight mods yet, but is there a mod that completely and evenly lights every corner of the game? I know that would COMPLETELY kill the environment that was trying to be created, but I don't think the flashlight mods are enough for me lol :beer:

blueswitch said:
I dunno I liked this game...it's suppose to be dark to force you to use the flashlight...ie. not having your gun in hand all the time to catch you by surprise.....you get really fast at hitting F...by the way hitting F while you have the flashlight up gives you back the last gun you held.

well of course it is supposed to be dark, but I want to experience the storyline without having to worry about getting the $%#@ scared out of me. Also, the flashlight is off center, which is very annoying. I just don't understand why the flashlight is off center, it doesn't make any since. :confused: but anyway, I know what you mean, I just don't want to play the game that way. I'd say that it's an even split between the people that like the dark environment, and the people that hate it.

blueswitch said:
I thought the game was a whole lotta fun.. You're right, suppose to make you switch back and forth on the flashlight/guns.. I've went through D3 and ROE 3 or 4 times now. Some think it's a lame game but to each his/her own..

Can you guys please stop telling how the game is supposed to be played, or how you like to play it? I'll just be blunt here, I don't care how the game is supposed to be, and I don't care that you like it the original way, I just am looking for some simple ways to make the game better for me since I don't like the dark environment. And please don't tell me that I shouldn't play the game if I don't like the dark environment.

Thanks.

twoeyes said:
Maybe google for some INI/config tweaks?

there actually is a doom 3 tweak guide I found somewhere a little while ago, but it is VERY long :bang head: ...well, not very long, several pages though. I think it has every tweak the game has to offer...but I'll have to find it again and check. If I find anything I'll post back. Thanks.

Well I checked the tweak guide, and it has nothing that helps. I found a tweak for changing the intensity of the light, but that does no good in the many MANY areas where there is no light at all. There are several places in the game that are pitch black, and no in game setting will help, not even the brightness. All the brightness does is change the gamma, and that won't help if there is an area in the game that doesn't reflect any light.

Grrr...well my only option is something that I don't even think I can do. Do you all know of the CS hacks that would evenly light everything? Is there any way I can do that with Doom 3? I know it will completely kill the environment, but to be honest, the environment is the only thing about the game that I do not like. I have looked for hacks, and mods, but can't find anything like this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Back