• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2003 NLB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liquidsky

Registered
Hey guys, wanted to know whether it's possible to set up a NLB (Network Load Balanced) cluster using only the OS and no extra hardware using two nodes? Do the two nodes only output 1 public IP address or does it come out as 2? Kinda new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I've done a 2 node active passive sql cluster with an attacted array. I think its possible without the attached array but I have no idea on how its done. I think you need a quorum drive on each node.

And when you set up the cluster you have one IP for the cluster and about 9 other IPs for everything else. :)

Thanks guys. But still wondering whether i need an extra switch or hub to set the one cluster ip or is it done by one of the two nodes? Since it's a webserver i'm worried about the DNS transfer in case one node goes down, do i have to indicate my two internal IPs to my ISP or do the notes reroute themselves? When using an active/active cluster is data synchronized between the two machines, meaning updated (mirrored)? Thanks again i'm still new at this.

Back