• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI Mode Comparison Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow6107

Registered
Alright, I'm getting ready to build a new PC this summer, but being a (poor) AGP user, I know very little about PCI-E. I do know that in the world of SLI motherboards, some will run 16x with a single card, and 8x/8x with two cards, then I saw the ASUS A8N32 Deluxe SLI, which will run 16x/16x SLI, I see these numbers, but specifically what do they mean in terms of performance?

Well, I appreciate the help on that aspect of the question, but the other half of the question is, what exactly does that effect? what, specifically, is the difference between 16x/16x and 8x/8x?

Shadow6107 said:
Well, I appreciate the help on that aspect of the question, but the other half of the question is, what exactly does that effect? what, specifically, is the difference between 16x/16x and 8x/8x?

I am no expert, but I believe it determines the amount of data that can be transferred at once. It is something like the bus width or something, but like I said I am no expert when it comes to stuff like this.

8x refers to the bandwith of the PCIE bus. theoretically 16x>8x. but as you know, we are unable to ever take full advantage of the entire bus. From early results, the 16x actually showed lower performance value as it has two nforce4s which needed to work together.

This is similar to agp 1x, 2x, 4x,8x, pci mode

lol. just clearifying.

in terms of performance 8x8x or 16x16 there is little negligable performance difference.

Actually the 16/16 board is not a good investment right now because nvidia didnt ADD 16 lanes to get the 16/16. they took it from other places. :(

The radeon 3200 I believe is true 16/16 and the next nvidia chipset will include it also.

I could be TOTALLY wrong though :)

Back