• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aegeis physics processor, PPU for U?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

How about a thread on these bad boys or is there one I'm missing? I understand BFG and ASUS both have units available according to an article I found the other day. Both were 1xPCI boards and I want a 4xPCI solution so I can use the only empty slot I've got.

Anybody got one yet?
Anybody's good friend down the street?
Anybody's good friend of a friend?
Anybody's heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend?

If you want my advice, I'd say skip it and wait for the second generation Ageia and more games that support PPU's. For the cost of the thing, you could get a second video card and get SLI, with better all around performance. Read the article on Hardocp, which reflects my sentiments.

-Rav

Rav said:
If you want my advice, I'd say skip it and wait for the second generation Ageia and more games that support PPU's. For the cost of the thing, you could get a second video card and get SLI, with better all around performance. Read the article on Hardocp, which reflects my sentiments.

-Rav
Already got SLI, that's why I want the 4x solution. Might be better than replacing ny GPU's to add a PPU. :)) u gotta love it!

If you've got the money to burn, then go for it. Just be sure to check the list of supported games to make sure there are enough there to interest you in the next year. Remember, it won't accelerate games that don't specifically support it. Also, not all games run faster, some just get more detail and objects, and actually end up with a lower frame rate. I wouldn't worry about PCI-e 1x being a bottleneck. Regular PCI maybe, but not PCI-e. It also requries a molex connector, so make sure your PSU is up to the task of basically powering a 3rd video card.

-Rav

And I'm not ready to go out buy now, but I thought with as nuts as most of these guys are with technology, I can't believe there's not more discussion over a technology that will have a significant impact in short while.

Well for one it isn't widely available. From the searching I've done it's a very limited product right now.

Two, it's very expensive. For the price you can only really use it with three or four games.

I'm looking at it as if it's an experimental piece of hardware which has been released to the public for testing purposes - given the fact that some people may have the money or balls to purchase it.

Right now you'd be wasting your money on it unless you had thousands of dollars to spend on a computer each year. Next to nothing supports it. As I stated before. The Price/Benefit ration is very low right now for such a product.

This is definitely a revolutionary product for the PC and one shouldn't completely turn their head from the future advancements in technology we might encounter with such hardware, but it's nothing to be raving about quite yet.

The one I saw reviewed used regualar PCI, not PCIe. I don't think you're going to find a 4x PCIe card, muchless a 1x PCIe.

I almost forgot. Since nVidia has a contract with Aegia there have been some interesting rumers that nVidia may be adding the physics chip to their video cards in the future. If this is true, and prices stay where they are at, we may start to see $100 - $150 more for nVidia cards. However if prices drop to half of what they are now, we may see prices of $50 - $100 more for video cards. This is just a guess at pricing and the effect of having a contract between the two companies.

Back