• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tutorials

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used this book: Link

I picked it up from the library so I didn't have to pay for it. It's got a lot of info and a whole bunch of examples. The best thing in my opinion is to learn the language (book or online tutorial) and then make up a project to complete. I learned most of my php by creating a character databse system for a small MMORPG that I used to play.

Go to sitepoint.com and buy their book on building a website using php and mysql. Its very good to get your feet wet. For more advanced stuff they have two additional books.

im going to be working through them all except for the books suggested as I got php & mySQL for dummies instead, simply because I like the way these books are written they have humourous little quotes in them which makes reading alot more enjoyable

Don't forget the power of used book on amazon. When you are just starting something that you are kind of new at, a $50 book that is fully up to date may not actually be as useful to you as a year old copy for $5.

Mr. Walis, what the ** are you doing in my forum? LOL, jk

Anyhow, thee Malpine is right on, getting something new as you can is your best bet. But also, make sure that you can use what you learn. For example, if you have a server that has PHP 5 and MySQL 5, then get a book on it because using mysqli and transactions is fantastic.

Also, use PHP.net's manual and read all the comments by users for each function because they are extremely helpful.

edit: yay, this response made me a 4-star'

PHP.net is the best reerence anywhere. Greatest part is if you have a function you need help on, type php.net/function_name and it will bring up all the info:)

Back