• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPUs hold they're value pretty damn well these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

I'm quite disappointed personally at the lack of innovation i've seen in the last year or so in CPUs, sure they've gotten faster but I mean I bought a 3700+ about 6 months ago and its list price on newegg is still the same as it was back then, thats a pretty weird thing to see in the CPU market IMO. You'd think AMD would be refining its manufacturing process and prices would decrease over time or hell god forbid a new CPU comes out. Just seems like we're in a lul, waiting for DX10 cards and the horizon of conroe, and DDR2 support from AMD (whoopie).

Just a rant I had to get out of my system, excuse the mess :beer:

I think your CPU is getting rare.
Old bartons go for mad $$$$ on e-bay for that reason I would guess :shrug:

I remember when 3000+ Venice procs costed close to $200. Bought mine back in september for ~$150, now they are @ 110 dollars.

Amd is in the process of getting CPU's @65nm. They will also release K8L shortly. Expect them to be released late '06, early '07.

It takes more than 6 months.

dan

I wish I could hold your setiment...

I cant even sell a 1.4ghz 266FSB Thunderbird processor for 35$ thats with shipping LOL...

cozmo_d said:
I wish I could hold your setiment...

I cant even sell a 1.4ghz 266FSB Thunderbird processor for 35$ thats with shipping LOL...

But that is obsolete. Processors that were current a year ago are still up there because nothing really that much better has come out.

Is a barton not obsolete?
Aren't they socket A?
They go for $200+ on e-bay :eek:

proth said:
LOL... My 955XE cost me a grand 2 months ago.

Anyone wanna give me 800 for it?

I wish I had 2 Grand Id build a new Computer :cool:

1.4 is not obsolete, well too you & I, It is......... But I worked for a while in a li'l computer shop where we purchased big lots of computers like from banks & schools, There are masses of people buying these rigs after we rebuilt them

Im talking 733/900/933Mhz with pc133 or pc100 even, we would disassemble all of them test all parts /floppies/cdroms/HD/ Format all drives...... Rebuild the units with 900mhz/256mb pc133/cdrom/floppy/8gig HD and NO OPERATING system period...... They sell them for between 85 & 125$ all day long every day, Not too mention the scsi drives, old video cards 32mb and down, Sound cards, modems, Im talking some of this is ISA modems & soundcards, Monitors, just tons of crap for 1 dollar also, they got so much of it sometimes they give it away, 95% of the stuff thats broken gets recycled

The suck thing is the Owner was a tight arse, I was building 55 to 75 computers for him every day, and this cheap ******* wanted to pay me 6.50 an hour cuz I dont have any certification, I told him you seen my work ethics, I know what Im doing & am cranking out units like mad, I told him I want 100$ a day and thats CHEAP, but would he pay it ???

HELL NO

I told him have a nice life & good luck getting a better worker than me.

Cheap... So & So Pizz's me off.

Sorry for rant I got caught up in the moment

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
Is a barton not obsolete?
Aren't they socket A?
They go for $200+ on e-bay :eek:

That is extremely rare as only a few 3200+ went for more than $150 on ebay. The 3200+ was the fastest socket A processor, so it is understandable that some people would be willing to pay a premium to max out their socket A system. Also, those high prices are for brand new sealed retail processors.

The regular run of the mill oem barton goes for far less than half of what you quote.

The older Socket A stuff may not be cutting edge, but I've got to agree with cozmo_d that it's hardly obsolete ;) Heck, I just upgraded from a Palomino 1800 to a Barton 2500 two months ago, and honestly, the only place I could tell a difference is in my SETI times and benchmarks. If I went to a 3200 or an Athlon64 I imagine I'd notice a bit more of a difference, but nothing really earth-shattering.

An 1800 isn't something you can brag about on the forums, but it's a perfectly powerful system :) You might not be able to run all your games at ZOMGxWTF resolution with w00tAA/AF, but it certianly can play them and have them look descent doing it.

JigPu

I went from a 2600+ T-Bred with 512MB RAM to an athlon64 3000+ which I immediately OCed to 2.2Ghz with 1GB RAM, and I could notice a difference, partialy attributed to RAM, partially the CPU. Multi-taking is much better on the Athlon64 than the XP, and things happen a lot quicker it seems like. RAM helps too, but I've also used a 3200+ with 512MB, and it still easily 'feels' better than the 2600+.

y'know i clicked on this thread thinking we'd be talking about the value in performance, not price...

yea my barton 2500+ is still going strong in all the newest games (no complaints with oblivion, anyway)... granted it's overclocked as specc'd in my siggy, but gee I really thought 4 years ago I'd need a new one by now ^_^...

i'm pretty sure this little gem will last me until I move to a PCI-e board in the unknown future... hopefully a year or so out of college anyway, when I'll have the $$ to look at a new system

Funny time for a thread like this, considering AMD has just announced major price drops... Looking at a local price comparison page which also logs the lowest prices:

3800+: 280€ -> 137€ (sharp drop in june)

Aparently the X2 3800+ is supposed to drop by about 40-50% shortly too. Looking at the dualcore P4's is not alot rosier:

940: 450€ -> 250€ (sharp drop in april)
950: 640€ -> 310€ (sharp drop in april)

And I understood Intel will have some more pricecuts shortly too. I guess I sold my rig with an X2 3800+ at just the right time. :)

I just bought a 2.1GHz Barton for my daughter's SK41 Shuttle at newegg for ~$85. They aren't that expensive and anyone paying more on ebay is a sucker. You just have to be patient and shop hard to get the bargins.

Back