• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you copy account settings from outlook 2003?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxburn

Yah because I have 8 mail accounts in thier and want to install those accounts on another instance of windows with outlook 2003. I was thinking I can just use thunderbird and steal the account settings instead.

Just use the Import and Export Wizard from the newly installed OL2003 to import your Mail Account Settings and / or your Mail and Addresses from the original install. You could also import your Account Settings from Thunderbird using the same Wizard.

redduc900 said:
Just use the Import and Export Wizard from the newly installed OL2003 to import your Mail Account Settings and / or your Mail and Addresses from the original install. You could also import your Account Settings from Thunderbird using the same Wizard.

Wonderboy how do you import settings? They have like 20 options and I tried 10 of them and I couldn't get it to work. What file do I import? I assume it is in the same directory as the outlook?

Fluxburn said:
Yah because I have 8 mail accounts in thier and want to install those accounts on another instance of windows with outlook 2003. I was thinking I can just use thunderbird and steal the account settings instead.
What do you want?

I just want to copy the email account settings from outlook 2003 to another copy of outlook 2003. If you could tell me more precisely how todo this, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Fluxburn said:
I just want to copy the email account settings from outlook 2003 to another copy of outlook 2003. If you could tell me more precisely how todo this, that would be extremely helpful. Thanks
I use Outlook 2000.

I believe this may be of interest:
EDIT also:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_21154050.html said:
There's a "Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard" in the "Microsoft Office Tools". That will allow you to 'save' and 'restore' all Office settings to and from a file. I tried it and it works fine for backing up email account settings.

The only disadvantage is that the accounts can't be saved separately. It saves all of them in one file (as well as any other Office settings, I guess). So you'd want to be careful that you're not overwriting recent changes when you use a previously backed up file.

i dont htink you can in outlook, in outlook express you can just export the file as a .iaf file

remember outlook doesnt hold the email account info, the mail profile which is in control pannel/mail holds it.

i always have to re enter details

It's simple enough. Go to Start>Programs>Office>Office Tools>Save my settings wizard.

Go through this on the Outlook you have configured correctly saving your settings. Then use the same program with the file you created to bring the settings in.

Just locate the following key in registry (start – run – regedit):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Then right click on the key, outlook and select option, Export…save it anywhere you want…
and run it while restoring your outlook.

This will restore your old outlook profile with all email accounts and rules.
But, you will have to enter passwords for the accounts again. It does not store the user passwords.

I hope this helps people like me..who are lazy to create the email accounts again… :D

Back