Scared to Flash my Bios....please help

I hope this is the best forum for this.

Sig for rig. Reason I have to flash my bios is because the computer boots up at 800mhz because the CPU doesn't get the right voltage and also stops me from being able to bootup with 2 sticks of ram....

Reason I'm afraid is because I'm using a mobile 3200+ processor in my MSI mobo and when I flash I need it to work properly...can't go through my computer not working afterwards...

So...I need to know if I'm safe, what version bios I need to flash it with? etc....

thanks.
    e6420
    Gigabyte UD3R
    4GB G.Skill 1000
    2 500gb spinpoint F3s in raid0/1
    MSI 4830
    Corsair 520hx
    in a CM Stacker

water cooled with swiftech apogee GT black,
    mcp 600 pump, swiftech 120x3 rad
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=28709

If you are careful and take your time, it is unlikely that anything will go wrong. I would suggest flashing to the latest version, using an MS DOS boot floppy (or cd) and the dos flashing program.
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Just follow the instructions by MSI on flashing the BIOS. Read them at least a good 5 times, or until you fully understand them. Other than that, and running minimal hardware to reduce any possible conflicts, you should be fine.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965BE, Asus M5A88-V Evo, 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600 , Coolermaster Hyper212+, OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB, Seagate 7200.11 500GB, Antec EA-380
    Lenovo X200, P8400 C2D, 8GB, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3.

Classic Moderator Admin
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheSchmidt
    I hope this is the best forum for this.
    Not really. You may get more help here, in General Motherboards, I moved it.

I was scared my first time, too. You need to ask yourself a few questions first though. Is the "Reset CMOS" jumper set to reset the BIOS settings? Have you tried going into BIOS, checking the proper settings and saving the settings? It is very important you save the settings before resetting the computer. If you already tried both of those, then maybe it is time to upgrade BIOS.

Before you can figure out what version you need, you need to know what motherboard you have. You said MSI, what model? Once you know the model, the best place to find updated BIOS is on the MSI website. I hope this helps. Please keep asking questions, it is the only way to learn.

Matt

It still looks like it's in General Hardware to me.

I was scared the first time I did it as well. Within the year I was modifing bioses to show more options and flashing them to my boards, and never had a problem. My brother once ended up with a corrupted bios (not from flashing it though), so I hotflashed his chip for him on one of my old boards. Worked great.
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

Classic Moderator Admin
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnufsh
    It still looks like it's in General Hardware to me.
    Whoops! It's a wonder I haven't been fired yet.

All better now.

Matt