• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scared to Flash my Bios....please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

I hope this is the best forum for this.

Sig for rig. Reason I have to flash my bios is because the computer boots up at 800mhz because the CPU doesn't get the right voltage and also stops me from being able to bootup with 2 sticks of ram....

Reason I'm afraid is because I'm using a mobile 3200+ processor in my MSI mobo and when I flash I need it to work properly...can't go through my computer not working afterwards...

So...I need to know if I'm safe, what version bios I need to flash it with? etc....

thanks.

If you are careful and take your time, it is unlikely that anything will go wrong. I would suggest flashing to the latest version, using an MS DOS boot floppy (or cd) and the dos flashing program.

Just follow the instructions by MSI on flashing the BIOS. Read them at least a good 5 times, or until you fully understand them. Other than that, and running minimal hardware to reduce any possible conflicts, you should be fine.

WhatTheSchmidt said:
I hope this is the best forum for this.

Not really. You may get more help here, in General Motherboards, I moved it.
:)

I was scared my first time, too. You need to ask yourself a few questions first though. Is the "Reset CMOS" jumper set to reset the BIOS settings? Have you tried going into BIOS, checking the proper settings and saving the settings? It is very important you save the settings before resetting the computer. If you already tried both of those, then maybe it is time to upgrade BIOS.

Before you can figure out what version you need, you need to know what motherboard you have. You said MSI, what model? Once you know the model, the best place to find updated BIOS is on the MSI website. I hope this helps. Please keep asking questions, it is the only way to learn.
:)

Matt

It still looks like it's in General Hardware to me.

I was scared the first time I did it as well. Within the year I was modifing bioses to show more options and flashing them to my boards, and never had a problem. My brother once ended up with a corrupted bios (not from flashing it though), so I hotflashed his chip for him on one of my old boards. Worked great.

Gnufsh said:
It still looks like it's in General Hardware to me.

Whoops! It's a wonder I haven't been fired yet.
:p

All better now.

Matt

Back