• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new X2 3800 question.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

innervision

Registered
Alright....new to the dual core scene and have a question. I already burned in the proc and now I've gone to the bios to overclock it. I have it set to 240x10 and when I restart and go back into the bios it says I'm running at 2.4gnz which is correct. Now the problem lies in windows, I've installed the amd patch so that windows will recognize the 2 cores but in CPU-Z and in Ntune it reads that the cores are at 2025ghz. WTF?! So I thought that maybe it was just some fluke thing so I restarted windows and went back to the bios and of course it read 2.4ghz. Loaded windows and of course it says 2.25ghz.....hmmmm.....

are you using the newest version of cpuz? 1.33? be sure to do that.

I haven't had to install any patches to get windows to read my opty 165 correctly

Not into AMD 64 that much, especially not X2, but do you have Cool'n Quite disabled?

Yes I have the latest CPU-Z. I was actually able to get windows to recognize my OC's and all I did was use the MS Hotfix patch. I'm actually now running at 2.524ghz with 1.36vcore (primestable for 6 hours). The weird thing is that I do have cool n' quiet enabled....for some reason with it off prime pulls up with an error in like 5 mins. and with it on it lasts for hours. All in all.....everything works great so I'm not touching anything :beer:

Thanks you guys!

Honestly I haven't heard of many people using it, but I just happen to be in the AMD Official forums and they have a sticky for installing dual cores and it gave a link to the hotfix.

ive installed the hotfix its for the throttling issue that happens with some games...speeds up and down

Yep same I have it installed on mine, now I'm waiting for the postman to delivery the rest of my watercooling gear so I could OC my chip higher.

hotfix doesn't work for me..

but if your games speed up and down. set the affinity to one core.

infinitevalence said:
you have to turn off Cool and Quiet in the bios or it will throttle the chip down when not needed to save on heat and noise :p
I agree :beer:

i too agree on disabling cool'n'quiet

as far as 'hotfix', unless it's in the windows update, i've never installed it on any pc's i've built using dual-cores

Back