• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ext2 Installable File System For Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very slick -

I ran the exe app in windows, selecting large file support.

Then, after moving my files from my FAT32 storage partition to my Windows partition, I started up PCLinuxOS.

Using the PCLinuxOS Control Center, I then deleted the FAT 32 partition and created a new Ext3 (Ext2 not a choice) partition in it's place. Formatted, exited the PCLOS Control Center, and rebooted into Windows.

This app puts a shortcut into the Windows Control Panel. At 1st, Windows does not see this new partition. Running the app allows you to name the partition, so I named it D.

Here's a pic of the IFS Window when I was done-

Then back to "My Computer" and SHAZAM! There's the new Ext3 partition.

Then I just cut and pasted the files I moved earlier.

Yes sir, a very slick app indeed!

Last edited:
ponkan pinoy said:
I think I've seen Gnufish endorsing the driver; heard good things about it, though I've never used it myself.
I am really impressed withthis driver. ext2/3 is a much superior fs to FAT, and it works really well (better than captive-ntfs).

There's no I in Gnufsh, though.

I'll be adding a 120gb Maxtor HD to the Linux rig, and I'll set it up as aExt3.

Yeah, its a great driver I love this one. It only supports ext2 though, so no journalling while you are using this driver

There is no driver for reiser, but there is stuff like rfs-tool that at least works. There is nothing at all for xfs or jfs

slick i will try this once i get linux installed tonight. i couldnt decide if i wanted my storage drive to be ext or fat i will def go with ext now

Yeah, its a great driver I love this one. It only supports ext2 though, so no journalling while you are using this driver

I don't know about that- the website says it does, and I formatted the partition as Ext3.

I'll look into it some more-

From the link-

The Ext3 file system is the Ext2 file system which has been extended by journaling. Ext3 is backward-compatible to Ext2 - an Ext3 volume can be mounted and used as an Ext2 volume. Just as older Linux Kernels which do not know the Ext3 file system can mount Ext3 volumes (as Ext2 volumes), the Ext2 file system driver ext2fs.sys for Windows incorporated in this software package can do it without any problems, too. Of course you do not take advantage of the journaling of the Ext3 file system if you mount it as an Ext2 file system.

So the way I read this, if the partition is a Ext3 partition, the jounaling will be available. If it's a Ext2 partion, it's not available.

Am I reading this correctly?

"Of course you do not take advantage of the journaling of the Ext3 file system if you mount it as an Ext2 file system."

So, if I mount the partition as an Ext3, not Ext2, there's no journaling?

To word the above statement backwards, " To take advantage of the journaling of the Ext3 file system, mount it as an Ext3, not Ext2".

Either way, it's better than FAT32.

If you mount it as EXT2, then there is no journaling, even if it is infact an ext3 filesystem. So no, the driver doesn't give you journaling.

Back