• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with WMP11 beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFG34

i installed it and now i cant get it to play videos. Winamp stopped working with videos too. The only media player that still plays videos is jet audio. Im guessing something is wrong with codecs. I tried to install 10 again but it wuldnt let me cuz 11 is already installed. any help??

afg34 said:
i installed it and now i cant get it to play videos. Winamp stopped working with videos too. The only media player that still plays videos is jet audio. Im guessing something is wrong with codecs. I tried to install 10 again but it wuldnt let me cuz 11 is already installed. any help??

You MUST have SP2 with XP Pro installed, not sure about other OS's

is it even in beta yet
i thought it was just a leaked copy

I'm sorry it is not working for you. I did a little searching (read 5mins) and the only easy way of reverting back to Media Player 10 is via System Restore, you should have one since the Player 11 installer creates one.

Other option I suppose would be to find an application to uninstall every codec you have on your comp and starta fresh with K Lite Codec Pack or something. I've also noticed that Media Player and Media Centre complain alot unless you have a DVD Decoder from major companies like nVidia.

i have xp home. and yes it did create a system restore and i did a restore but still didnt help. Version 10 is installed now but something else messed it up. any ideas??

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the something else please? Not quite sure what you were referring to there. System Restore, as the name suggests should have restored it to a point before you installed Meduia Player 11, and if your comp was working then it should be working now. Are the problems you are experiencing the same as you were experiencing before the restore?

You could try reinstalling Media Player 10, incase the installation was corrupted in anyway by upgrading to 11.

Failing that, perhaps restorwe to an earlier time?

I restored it to 11 may but still it doesnt work. Im sure videos used to work on 11th may. I also tried reinstalling WMP10 but no luck. When i try to play videos in WMP it freezes and when i go task manager it says it is not responding. Is there anything else i could try???

The problem existing, not specific to this case, is probably not new; it has existed for many years.

From my previous testing on Windows 2000 a long time ago:

Windows Media Player since, I believe, after version 7 have not been able to be correctly uninstalled. Also an instalation attempted after "uninstaling" a later version of Windows Media Player than the one being installed will not result in a correctly funtioning Windows Media Player (although it may still run and play media).

Microsoft does not seem to address the problem.

A desired version of Windows Media Player can be made to function correctly on Windows 2000 (probably also applies to Windows XP) by modifying registry information and files on the file system.

I have multiple times in the past successfully installed an earlier version of Windows Media Player and had it function correctly. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what specific modifications need to be made to the Windows registry and files to correctly have Windows Media Player functioning (not simple; quite a complex mod). I regret not documenting my findings.

videocodecs4yw.jpg

that is all the video codecs

I noticed you had Nero installed. If you installed Nero Digital, it may interfere with other Media players. I was having a hayday troubleshooting some of my videos playing and errors until I unistalled it. Once I did that I seemingly corrected the issue. Sometimes having to many codecs can be a bad thing also.

Remeber 11 is still in beta progress. It may be hooking in and not removing some .dll's. The restore only reverts/removes so much. So you may have to hunt down any files that may be in the system, and remove them to correct the issue.

Here is the offical Ms statement for issues on WM11

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/wi...aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePlayer

Last edited:
I uninstalled nero and cyberDVD and installed the codec pack and now videos play in WMP classic. perfect. Now imma install ver. 10. THNX GUYS

i used to have it but when u right click on something, the menu comes and there is something from vlc there. i dont like dat.

Back