• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before I buy - Non SLI mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

Okay, a friend of mine is buying my current motherboard off me, and I couldn't be more happy. However, I need to buy a new motherboard ASAP.
I'm pretty certain I'm going to be getting an Expert.
However, one thing I am bit unclear on is running two pci express video cards. Not in SLI.
I have a 7900GTX that fulfills my gaming and 3D modeling needs, but I'm going to have three monitors in the very near future and as far as I know I can't mitotically spawn a new DVI connector on the 7900.
So, I'm looking at a 128mb Matrox P650. It will be fine and has some cool features that ATI and nVidia don't offer.
Will I be able to run both cards at the same time on the Expert at full bandwidth, or even a reduced bandwidth on the P650?
If not, is there a s939 motherboard that will let me run two completely different PCI Express x16 cards at the same time?

Last edited:
I believe any board will let you do that, doens't even have to be sli board/crossfire board, a couple of members have been running more then one video card for multiple monitors in plain pci so I believe it should work with pci-e as well.

futura2001 said:
Will I be able to run both cards at the same time ...

If not, is there a s939 motherboard that will let me run two completely different PCI Express x16 cards at the same time?...
Yes and any one with two PCIe x16 slots. It's a Windows thing. All versions of windows since 98 will detect multiple graphics cards and their monitor(s) and there is rudimentary multi-monitor functionality too. But you'll also want Ultramon http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Last edited:
Thank you guys, that does help clarify things considerably.
Maybe I should keep my eVGA/Jetway mobo. It has three x16 slots. One for single card mode, two for SLI. Wonder if I could have two 7900GTXes and a Parhelia series card in there as well just for the sake of excess and overkill. Although the PWMs would probably have a hernia trying to power all that. Meh, I ordered an Expert and I don't have a need for more than two cards and four monitors (well three, but one has dual inputs and will be hooked up to both cards) at this current time.
billb: Thanks, that should be helpful. Although Matrox offers many of the same features in their drivers and hardware already, including the much coveted monitor zoom feature which I am really looking forward to.

Back