• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pump Sizing question! 3 Choices!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimCaleb72

I'm looking for another water pump to possibly do some more WC. Air Cooling, despite being 100% safe and easily transportable, is annoying me with the associated noise. After my experience in WCing my AthXP to 3200+ and beyond, I wanna push my lil opteron and 6600gt till they scream!

Fear at 1600x1200 or bust!!!

So I have three choices I'm looking at.

HENRI STUDIO model PS5
Max 470 GPH
Discharge Size 3/4"threaded outlet coupling
6 feets cord/120 VAC
35 bucks.

HENRI STUDIO model PS7WG
Max 900 GPH
Discharge Size 3/4"threaded outlet coupling
20 feets cord/120 VAC
40 Bucks

HENRI STUDIO model PS9
Max 1100 GPH
Ball-Bearing motor shaft
Decoupled motor shaft housing and impeller assembly
Discharge Size 3/4" threaded outlet coupling
6 feets cord/120 VAC
50 Bucks

Probably overkill if they perform as stated. the BB rotor looks interesting. Any opinions? Price difference is so small, should I just grab the largest one?

Thanks!

I think you should get none of those and buy a pump that's made for watercooling... do you know how much heat those dump in the loop?

i agree with thegreek.
or at least get the info on the PQ curve. gph means nothing if it doesnt have a chart that tells you what its flow will be with added restriction

Those sound like something for a pond with 6ft cords and 120VAC. And pond pumps are ment to be submerged for one thing. Why not look into swifttech's pump?

Because they're more than double the price! Brutally expensive at 110 dollars a pop. Those are in canuckbucks, btw, so the aquarium/pond pumps are dirt cheap. Besides, the 12v pumps draw from the power supply, which requires one to spend over 100$ for an decent example.

My current pump is a Via Aqua, and i have it in an inline configuration. Why can't the above pumps be modified?

I thought a pump only added significantly to heat load when submerged, not when inline.

[Corporal Dan] said:
Because they're more than double the price! Brutally expensive at 110 dollars a pop. Those are in canuckbucks, btw, so the aquarium/pond pumps are dirt cheap. Besides, the 12v pumps draw from the power supply, which requires one to spend over 100$ for an decent example.

My current pump is a Via Aqua, and i have it in an inline configuration. Why can't the above pumps be modified?

I thought a pump only added significantly to heat load when submerged, not when inline.

even being inline it raises the water temp a bit.

whats wrong with the via aqua pump u have now?

[Corporal Dan] said:

Do you have the Via Aqua 1300? (they're great pumps by the way, depending on what kind of setup you have, there are different models, inline/submer) Yeah, after I ran that pump for a while I wanted to get a new pump too, but didn't want to admit that I needed a pump made for WC (Swiftech!=$$$/quality).

Unfortunately you get what you pay for...

As was stated above, gph means little to nothing for watercooling as far as pump ratings go. It takes good head pressure to keep the water moving through the loop unlike in a pond. So a good pump for watercooling needs good head pressure and good flow.

Nothing's wrong with the 1300 I have. It's a quiet, decent flowing pump. The WBs I have are relatively low restriction. DD Maze3 CPU+GPU. That's in my athlon pc, and I will continue to use it.

I want to build ANOTHER setup for my opteron. I get really good temps with aircooling, but the noise level is ridiculous. I'm using an ada 80mm intake fan (small case, so makes a huge difference) that's so loud it may as well be a delta black label.

The thing is, computing is no longer my primary interest any more. I can't devote as much money to it as I once did, so I try to do as much as possible on a budget.

The pumps I listed up there seem pretty powerful. 900gph at 0 head must surely translate to decent performance even at high head levels

I would love a fancy and compact swiftech pump but I can't justify the cost. And the power supply is a limitation too.

Besides, just bought a titanium bike frame, which seriously damaged my store of... discretionary funds :) (habcycles.com)

I'm not looking for top-shelf performance. slightly better temps with a reasonable noise level and a low cost are all I'm after. I don't believe in quiet fans either. Vantec Stealth are not really stealth.

I can't seem to find the curve anywhere. I'll write the company.

Any input regarding the value of the ball-bearing shaft?

EDIT:

Here is the email I sent:
Hello,

I plan to use one of the above pumps in a water cooling system for my computer.

I would like to know more details about the pump output characteristics, specifically, the flowrate vs head (Q vs H) curves, and the pump wattage/heat output.

I would also like to know what the advantages of a ball-bearing rotor would be in such an application, and whether these pumps can be used in-line as opposed to submerged.

The watercooling loop will include two water jackets, a heater core, and a reservoir, connected by silicon tubing. Equivalent head is unfortunately unknown.

Thanks!

I think it might be of interest to post the response in case anyone searches for these pumps.

Last edited:
[Corporal Dan] said:
The pumps I listed up there seem pretty powerful. 900gph at 0 head must surely translate to decent performance even at high head levels

unfortunately there is no way to know that as there is no pq chart. its entirely possible that that pump really sucks. flow ratings on pumps mean absolutely nothing if you dont have the rest of the relivant data.

as for inline vs submerged and heat dump. an inline system dumps nearly as much as a submerged. inline still lets the fluid flow through the hot part of the pump where the heat is added. if it did not you would not be able to start the pump because the impellor would freeze in place unless you had a large high cost and quality pump with a sealed housing which isnt applicable in this case

ripit said:
If you are looking for a cheap alternative pump, it might be worth looking here. They have lots of fountain/pond/utility/irigation etc. pumps cheap.
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=pump&Submit=Go
I have been trying to determine if any of these would work. I was kind of thinking of the marine pump, specifically because it is 12v, but there are lots of plug in ones.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576

yeah but how loud are they?

NODES said:
yeah but how loud are they?
I was wondering that myself. I think I might find out on that marine pump since I can get it locally and easilly return it if I don't like it. It looks pretty menacing in the picture but I already looked at it at the store and its smaller than it looked in the picture. By the way this store has retail outlets all over the US so there may be one near by, though it kind of varies what they carry (they wont carry everything on the web site). Also, check prices online. They honnor their online prices including sale prices instore (and sometimes sales are instore only and not seen on the web site and vica versa). If I get that marine pump or any of the others, I'll post about it. Right now I'm still trying to figure what water block to get (trying to stay cheap so I was thinking a white water).

I could probably buy the pump anyway and return it if nessasary if you want to know how loud the marine one is.

insufficient posts :( No love for me.

Maybe if I used ebay feedback? I could send an email to a moderator from within ebay to prove I'm not a scammer (100% positive rating, over 100 transactions)

nope, you have to get the post count
it doesnt take long
post 100 meaningful posts and you're in baby..or is it 300..

Back