• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram timing/frequency problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyanisis2

Registered
Ram timings problem

Just a curious question. Ive noticed when i go into bios it shows that i have 1024 or ram. This is correct. But if i adjust the timings at all to compensate for oc'ing then when it reboots it only shows that i have 512 of memory. Any idea why it does this? Normal timings are 2.5-3-3-7. If i even change it to
3-3-3-7 then it tells me i only have 512 of memory.

it is two 512 sticks. One is a corsair brand. The other is a cheaper brand- can't remember then name right now- and im at work

Just a curious question. Ive noticed when i go into bios it shows that i have 1024 or ram. This is correct. But if i adjust the timings at all to compensate for oc'ing then when it reboots it only shows that i have 512 of memory. Any idea why it does this? Normal timings are 2.5-3-3-7. If i even change it to 3-3-3-7 then it tells me i only have 512 of memory. MY memory is 512x2 - one stick of corsair and one cheap brand

Furthermore, according to CPU Z my FSB is running at 111 mhz with a 444.1 bus speed. It also shows the memory frequency at 185 mhz. Isnt 185 way to high for PC2700 memory. Maybe im confused. My system is perfectly stable so i dont know. I have CPU-Z but i don't know how to take a screen shot of it to show u guys. If someone could let me know that as well.

It's possible one of your two sticks is failing when you change timings and you're only running one. Probably the "cheap brand".

PC2700 is supposed to run at 166Mhz(DDR333) so 185(DDR370) is a decent overclock, but certainly not impossible.

To take a screenie just get everything lain out on your desktop that you want to snap a shot of, press the PrtScn(print screen) button, open up paint, photochop...etc and press ctrl-V(paste). Then you just need to edit the pic size and save it as a .jpg or .png and upload it.

thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the 166Mhz was the max speed the mem could run at or it would crash. So if i try to overclock more, do i need to drop that ratio down so the ram speed doesn't try to get too high? I have included a screenshot as well.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Back