• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Tape

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NickLNitro

Registered
I have An AMD T-Bird 1Ghz and I want to over clock it but I'm afraid to unlock it bc I'd have to take off the Heat Sink and I know it's mounted with thermal tape. How could I remove the Heat Sink (Volcano 6cu) and clean it so I could use thermal grease to put it back on....or how can I take off the HS so I don't damage the tape and I can put it right back on?

You can probably reuse the thermal pad (tape) if you want as its usually only stuck to the heatsink side.
If you want to use thermal paste instead of the tape use a razor blade to cut-scrape off as much of the tape as you can from the heatsink then use either rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover to get whats left off of the heatsink.

A good lapping before putting the thermal paste on would help to remove any residue and get better cooling out of the HSF.

Back