• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket-A records to fall soon!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

Socket-A records to fall soon! - DENIED!

This is my official notice that I will be aiming to take down some world records for Socket A.

In my struggle to resist AM2, I've finally got a plan to hold me off untill K8L.

http://webpages.charter.net/jinwpark/PhaseChange/ProductionA/

Built By: Jinu117 (from xtremesystems)
Compressor: Danfoss NF9FX
Gas: R402a
Condenser: Custom made Condenser with 30% more capacity for this specific use
Evap: Chilly1
Case: LianLi V2000B
HD mod: Lian-Li Ex23
Controller: Golden Froster XE (LCD)
Case Mod: Extra wheels in middle

This case/cooler will transfer to new system in the future.

Also on the way:
Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)(The best AGP card..period)
water block for 7800GS(haven't decided on the gpu block, suggestions welcome)
2 WD Raptor 74gb 16MB<--will transfer to new system in future
XiFi<--will transfer to new system in future
Raid Controller(need suggestions on this too)<--will transfer to new system in future

Rest that I have:
Athlon XP-M 2500+
Athlon XP 2700+ Tbred-B
Athlon XP 1800+ Tbred-b
Athlon XP-M 3000+
DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra-B
2x256 Corsair PC3500(BH5)
Antec TruePower 480w

So, the case/phase will be here in about 19 days, so that's how long I have to get everything else. I do need suggestions for a good water block for the 7800GS, preferably one that covers ram(front and back), or if it's better to have sinks on the ram and small block for the gpu, I'll go with that. I also need suggestions for a good raid controller for a pci slot, I know nothing about this, so I'm in your hands.

Thanx for your suggestions, and can't wait to see what I can do. Results will be as full and complete to the best of my abilities, and will probably be my final adventures with Socket A. After that, system as now goes to wife, and I'll either be going the Conroe way, or the K8L way.

John

Last edited:
is 240 the max fsb your memory will do? how much vcore are you aiming to put into your barton. sounds like a good toaster.

this highpoint card looks pretty good, they have the ata133 version for like $20 more there... it supports raid 0+1.

memory goes higher, but fsb is limited to ~252 right now on water

2.0v(undervolts to 1.98v) is max for board, volt mod will happen :D

Thanx for the link, but I need a SATA raid card, with at least 4 connectors

I'll use 2 raptors for now, but I will eventually have 3 in raid 0 for new system, and I'm hoping to use the 4th slot for a 250gb SATA to mirror the 3 drives(back up), not sure if this is possible, 3 in raid 0 w/ a raid 1.....

Sounds like you got all the pieces in place, bud, best of luck! :thup:

That single stage unit sounds like a monster as well.

I see you went for the 3000... :)

Looking forward to seeing the results of that and the 2700.

Thanx guys

Tests will be/not limited to:
3dMark2001SE/03/05/06
SuperPi 16k-32m
AquaMark3
SiSoft Sandra benches

feel free to post any others you'd like to see me go for(post record for socket A as well)

I will also be going for highest possible Prime95 24hours stable.

I don't think I can get highest validated clock, it's a good phase, but no ln2/dice

Also, suggestions for vid card water cooler/heatsinks and sata raid controller?
And, is it possible to run 3 raptors in raid 0 and have a 250gb mirroring on raid....0+1 w/ 3 0's?

Molester said:
I'll use 2 raptors for now, but I will eventually have 3 in raid 0 for new system, and I'm hoping to use the 4th slot for a 250gb SATA to mirror the 3 drives(back up), not sure if this is possible, 3 in raid 0 w/ a raid 1.....

doesn't the onboard sil3114 do sata raid? granted it is really slow but i'm not sure a pci raid will provide much if any additional bandwidth.

well, if it does or not, dosn't having it on pci eat less cpu cycles? same with sound? regardless, the onboard SATA only does raid 0, and raid 1, not raid 0+1

Subscribed. This sounds like it's going to be fun. Good luck to you.

*Smokey the Bear voice* "Only you can prevent the spread of Conroe!" lol

damarble said:
Subscribed. This sounds like it's going to be fun. Good luck to you.

*Smokey the Bear voice* "Only you can prevent the spread of Conroe!" lol

lol, good stuff, umm, i'll post results in another thread, but i will use this as a discussion to makes sure i get everything setup right

conroe is at superpi 1m 10.2 seconds, im praying for 30s, and i don't want to get into other benches, it's out of my league, sli/crossfire, dual core, 4mb L2....

but this case/cooler/hd's w/ K8L....maybe ;)

for now, ill skip the raid controller, as doing a mirror is something im only concerned with having with next pc, so don't worry about raid/controller suggestions

but still open to discussion/suggestions for the water cooling setup for the 7800GS

thanx

Sounds like your wanting one of the DD NV-XX blocks if one is compatable.

btw..Raid0 isn't that tough on your CPU, if you were going Raid5 that would be a different matter.. but the only four channel SATA raid contolers (that are not SAS, PCIe) that I remember seening were adaptec.

that 2500+ M should go pritty good. I had my 2600+ M at 2700Mhz @ 1.975v (undervolt to 1.95ish) on air 24/7. That was untill a week ago when my bios decided it was corupt randomly. haven't been able to get that speed back. The Abit NF7-s has vcore adjustments up to 2.3v so that might be a good bet.
As for the 7800gs, i have one too. Pipes can't be unlocked as they are 'laser cut' at the factory. The 7800gs+ (note the + sign) has 24 pipes active already, not the standard 16. There are no aftermarket coolers for 7800gs cards. This is becaues of the bridge chip used the port the pcie core to the agp bus. It is in an odd position, but has mounting holes either side. You should be able to make up/adapt a heatsink fairly easily though. But on the bonus side these cards overclock like crazy. Mine is 485/1500 up from 375/1200. I benched with no artifacts at 500/1500 and got a 3d05 score of 7150 (approx.) so theres an easy target for you.
EDIT: i just remembered, you probably know this, but 7800gs cards have a current limiting system on them. This means that at about 500Mhz core speed the current becomes liited and you won't see a gain when increseing the clock speed. This is easily rectified by removing a couple of resisitors on the back of the card. Just look up a guide for it. I hav't done this yet as i have no need to.

Wish you the best of luck in your overclocking adventure. My load temp was 45-47*c btw, but remember thats a socket sensor!

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=94803

Have fun! Hip.

Last edited:
yeah, i'm on a fever-pitched search for the Gainward Bliss 7800GS 512mb AGP card, i'll take the one with 20 pipes(7800GT gpu), but i'd really like the newer one with 24 pipes(7900 gpu)

umm, should anyone stumble across a shop that just so happens to carry one/some, link me please, preferably in the US, but if not, i'm sure i can find a way to get it here ;)

Back