Easy song to learn on a guitar

I've just picked up a guitar yesterday and I'm looking for some easy songs to practice and learn. Right now I'm playing Bethovens "Ode To Joy" on the first two strings.
    Heatware (Yes Israelis have it too!) PayPal Verified[/size]

Green Day's - Time of your Life is a good strumming song to work on. So would Oasis - Wonderwall
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4 1.35v
    Samsung IPS 2560x1440 27" and Asus 23" Monitors
    GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Mobo
    16 gigs Gskill Ripjaw Memory
    EVGA GTX 670 4gb @ Stock
    OCZ Modstream Pro 700w ATX Power Supply
    Samsung 840 Series 250gb SSD & 2 1TB Sata Hard Drives

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member benbaked's Avatar
    this land is your land
    HEATWARE (22-0) | Folding/SETI/Rosetta (crunching BOINC as the ben.World.order)

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | i7-4770K | EVGA 680GTX FTW | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
    ASUS Maximus Formula SE | QX6700 | Gigabyte 4350 | OCZ Gold 2x4GB DDR2 | Intel X25-M 80GB
    PS4 | Wii U | Xbox 360 (Zephyr) w/ WD3200BEVT 320GB | PS3 CECHG01 w/ WD1600BEVT 160GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout

http://www.olga.net/

learn to read tab. its simple, 'eh?
    █████████████████████████████████████████

Quote Originally Posted by jacheatamobits

Yeah but I want some songs on 1-2 strings so I can practice.
    Heatware (Yes Israelis have it too!) PayPal Verified[/size]

And how exactly was this computer related?

*moved from GCRD to GD
    Last edited by cw823; 06-07-06 at 08:18 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you

honeybadger moderator smacks the **** out of people that cause issues in the classified section

Heatware: cw823
    Paypal: paypal @ cw823 dot com

Adak - My spreader bar was shaped using a pair of vise grips, a hammer, and the tow receiver on my pick up

Support your forum:
    http://www.newegg.com/

Flip mode: It's best to gete used to using all the strings as soon as possible. I advise finding a song you like, learning the tab, and sticking with that song until you've got it down. Then move onto someting else, etc.

This will take longer on a song to song level, but it will help alot more than just learning one or two strings.
    Heatware:
    Trolls: You mess with one of us, you mess with SSS
    Gamertag: Elif Tymes

Anyway, on topic, Rolling Stones songs have a lot of 1-2 string riffs on them that are easy to play "Jumping Jack Flash" and "Paint It Black" come to mind.

come as you are by Nirvana was my first song I learned and that was really easy. mainly 2 strings except the bar chords which are 3.
    My main rig- Q6600, Abit P35 Pro, Nvidia 8800GT, 8 GB GSkill PC800, , 2xSeagate 250 gb , 600 watt Fortron Blue Storm II power Supply, Audigy 2, Logitech Z680 Speakers Dell 2005FP Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon-K
    come as you are by Nirvana was my first song I learned and that was really easy. mainly 2 strings except the bar chords which are 3.
    Yeah that was like the 2nd song I learned. In fact, the whole "Nirvana - Nevermind" album is a great for guitar newbs. Very easy stuff for the most part.

Flip-Mode, learn how to form simple 2- or 3-string "5th chords" (sometimes called "power chords"), and you will be able to play at least some part of 90% of modern rock songs. A 2-string power chord is formed simply by placing your index finger on any fret on any of the E,A,D strings, and placing your ring finger 2 frets higher on the string below it. So, for example:

Code:
    ---            ---
    ---            ---
    ---     or    ---
    ---            -3-
    -7-            -1-
    -5-            ---
    You can slide this fingering all over the fretboard keeping the 5th interval and play tons of easy songs.

The 3-string 5th chord just adds the high octave to the root, so you simply add your pinky finger to the mix by placing it on the same fret as your ring finger, but one string below. For example:

Code:
    ---            ---
    ---            ---
    ---     or     -3-
    -7-            -3-
    -7-            -1-
    -5-            ---
    Start with the 2-string variant since it's easier.
    KillrBuckeye

Scarlet: i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (1.19V), Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, 16GB (2x8GB) GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, eVGA 8800GT, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, WD 750GB Black, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB, SB Audigy 2, Corsair 450VX, Dell 2005FPW + ASUS VH226H, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Gray: Q6600 G0 @ 3.4 GHz (378*9, 1.31V), Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400, HD 5450, OCZ Agility 60GB SSD, Corsair CX500

http://www.killrbuckeye.com

Iv been playing for years and believe me the quicker you get off sticking with two strings the better.

Dual Booting Ubuntu and XP
    Asus M2N32 WS Pro :drool:
    AMD X2 4200 (OC'd 2856MHz @ 1.4V)
    2GB Corsair PC5300 RAM (4X512MB)
    XFX 8800GTS 320Mb
    FSP 500W Bluestorm II PSU
    160GB WD SATAII Hard Drive

F@H masakabassist Heat: masakabassist

Quote Originally Posted by jacheatamobits

Learn to read sheet. Much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins
    Learn to read sheet. Much more powerful.
    I don't think that's the best approach for someone wanting to learn to play rock guitar. Nobody learns to play pop/rock music by reading the sheet music. Given that there are several ways to play the same note on a guitar and the fact that it spans several octaves, it just leads to confusion. Now if you aspire to learn classical guitar and create intricate compositions, then by all means learn some music theory and learn to read/write sheet music.
    KillrBuckeye

Scarlet: i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (1.19V), Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, 16GB (2x8GB) GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, eVGA 8800GT, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, WD 750GB Black, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB, SB Audigy 2, Corsair 450VX, Dell 2005FPW + ASUS VH226H, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Gray: Q6600 G0 @ 3.4 GHz (378*9, 1.31V), Abit IP35-E, 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400, HD 5450, OCZ Agility 60GB SSD, Corsair CX500

Quote Originally Posted by KillrBuckeye
    Given that there are several ways to play the same note on a guitar and the fact that it spans several octaves, it just leads to confusion.
    Well, you're right. The multitude of ways in which a note can be played on a guitar makes sight reading guitar music difficult. But the fact remains that sheet music can summarize EVERYTHING tab does, and more. If someone has difficulty knowing which string to play, then this can always be remedied by a note on the sheet. If someone has difficulty knowing which finger should be used, again, this is simply remedied with a simple number above or below the corresponding note.

I've used both TAB and sheet and I'm comfortable using both (I read sheet as comfortably as I read words). My experience has taught me that sheet is much, much more powerful and extendable than TAB. If you ask any musician who reads sheet to read TAB, he'll do so. Easily.

But just looking at the sheet music, I can tell you loads about the piece you're going to play. From the dynamics, the fingering, the structure. All incredibly important. Also chime in with the fact that if you can read sheet, you can read TAB, and so you can essentially read ANY musical composition on the internet, in your library, at your music school, etc.

Now what does TAB tell you? It'll tell you which frets to play on which string. That's it. I've found that TABs are helpful for the first day or two when I'm sightreading a piece, but it's use ends there. (I understand that there are other ways to underline certain dynamics on more elaborate tabs, but I bet you'll agree that this is rare and also quite ackward)

Now if you aspire to learn classical guitar and create intricate compositions, then by all means learn some music theory and learn to read/write sheet music.
    I don't think so. I think if you aspire to be any serious musician, you should learn how to read (at least on a basic level) sheet music. It's like learning how to program in C++ instead of sticking to QBASIC your entire life. It takes effort, and perhaps it may not always be easier. But in the end, you've learnt something very powerful and you can always go back to QBASIC if you need to.

But then again, my position is a bit skewed. So

Disabled
    Well, lots of folk music is fairly easy to learn (and some of it can be pretty hard so you do need to be careful what you choose). Also, a fair bit of the fingering for folk music served as a basis for the blues stuff that is itself a major influence on modern rock.

Personally, I am partial to the Kingston Trio and the Chad Mitchell Trio. Although it should be noted that there were never less than four members of the Chad Mitchell trio (and some recordings feature five of them as Chad was replaced by a very young John Denver before he went solo himself and before he died, they played the festival circuit with the whole group reunited).

I've been intermittently trying to learn some folk music e.g: Dubliners, Great Big Sea, some Country: and have found it to be moderately semi-difficult. I can barely contort my fat fingers into the needed chords but when I try to play fast I'm having a hard time switching chords. Green Day, Blink-182, Misfits and most punk or hard-rock/alt songs are soooooo much easier it's almost questionable whether those guys have any real talent outside of lyric writing (if they write their own lyrics).

Practice Chords and Scales as much, if not more, than songs by tab. Also, don't try to play full speed before learning it slow, as you'll more than likely teach your fingers inaccuracy. When you're learning something, play it in extreme slow motion until you can get through it a number of times without screwing up. Then step up the pace progressively, only a little each time. It may be a bit frustrating at first, but by the time you get to full speed you'll be amazed and how well you can play it.
    Nikola Tesla is my hero.

Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins
    I don't think so. I think if you aspire to be any serious musician, you should learn how to read (at least on a basic level) sheet music. It's like learning how to program in C++ instead of sticking to QBASIC your entire life. It takes effort, and perhaps it may not always be easier. But in the end, you've learnt something very powerful and you can always go back to QBASIC if you need to.
    I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with learning sheet music, and I have no doubt that it can be very helpful. However, I think it is far from a vital skill for learning how to play pop/rock music or even being a "serious" musician. How do you define "serious musican" anyway? I considered myself to be a serious musician during the many years I was playing in bands, composing original music, and gigging regularly, yet I couldn't read a lick of sheet music. I think the same can be said for many guitar players in popular modern rock bands.
    KillrBuckeye