• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Antivirus Solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Free

Comodo Internet Security (V) (64)

Why is it Free?

Much of Comodo's revenue comes from verifying web business with SSL certificates (we put the padlock on websites).
The more consumers are comfortable being online and shopping online, the more businesses will need our services. So we’ve created the best free antivirus program on the market.

Website

Have been using for a few days now, scans quick, looks nice, most reviews like it :)

Absloutely amazing sticky, WELL DONE!

My reccomendation is NOD32. I started using it because it is the only 64bit AV I could find, but now I don't use anything else.

On almost every PC that I have had software problems with and that was running norton, NOD32 finds some viruses that norton missed...(they have a very very handy DOS based scanner - burn to a cd and run using a DOS boot disk...)

Thanks again this is still handy :D

I am able to confirm it is Vista 64bit compatible, as I'm using it on my 64bit Vista system ^^

I'm liking it so far, a full system scan only takes around 10-15 Minutes - Can't beleive some people still use norton...

I'd recommend McAfee VirusScan Corporate Edition, though it might be out of many people's price range. My philosophy is "if it’s good enough for the federal government, it’s good enough for me"

The fed has proven itself to be wildly stupid and wooden-headed when it comes to correcting even the most obvious of mistakes.

I use Kaspersky Internet security, the most recent variant. It's very friendly towards my type of computing, and the first AV program I've used that doesn't create many problems as it goes about its job. ;)

Is there a more upto date check of say AVG and NOD32

You can find more up-to-date tests --Here--. AV-Comparatives does a few tests every year (both for proactive detection and on-demand detection). Just visit the linked site and open up the corresponding .pdf report.

I have updated the main post with this link as well.

As of late Microsoft Security Essentials is rather good as a free option. Bests AVG and Avast.

Nice compendium!

According to that av-comparatives website, Avast is better than Microsoft Essentials. Their free software catches more old viruses, and scans faster. In the pro-active test it does a little (3%) worse than MS though (with their professional product).

I'm curious about the memory these programs use. I have AVG free at the moment and it used just over 4.5MB when idle. Does anyone have the numbers for Avast antivirus or MS Essentials? TIA.

I'm liking my ESET NOD 32 business edition and have been using it for quite some time now and no problems with any computers in my home but I'm sort of starting to think I should upgrade to something stronger, like Kaspersky perhaps. Any thoughts?

I have had good results after infection with Spyware Doctor with antivirus (paid) more than once.
I would still be running it, but in this economy, I can't afford it till business picks up.
I myself had a virus that McAffee missed that rendered my system useless and spyware Doc cleaned it up...Then my boss had a virrus within the last six months (today being Aug 11) and I recomemded Spyware Doctor with antivirus, so he managed to D'l it and it cleared his system also. It blocks popups, and asks if you want to permanently block it and it has saved me from my worst enemy...me.
All versions of Norton have failed me at one time or another, as well as AVG free, and McAffee
Avast was too annoying, currently running Avira free version.
That's my two cents :)

Answering my own question from before, Avast uses about 46 Mb all in. It's fairly active, but not too obtrusive.

I've switched all except one of my PCs to MS Essentials, which is pretty clean apart from the nagging about auto updating. Somewhat ironically, MS Essentials doesn't support the 64 bit version of WinXP (it's a product of the same company, after all). So, the PC with this orphaned OS is running Avast free. It's not too bad either, after they fixed some bug causing an error message on boot almost every time...

Answering my own question from before, Avast uses about 46 Mb all in. It's fairly active, but not too obtrusive.

I've switched all except one of my PCs to MS Essentials, which is pretty clean apart from the nagging about auto updating. Somewhat ironically, MS Essentials doesn't support the 64 bit version of WinXP (it's a product of the same company, after all). So, the PC with this orphaned OS is running Avast free. It's not too bad either, after they fixed some bug causing an error message on boot almost every time...

just put this on a clients machine with in 1 week she had 50 spyware that MS Essentials completely didnt detect.... had to install malwarebytes to remove it... i am done with this software, seemed light enough, the spyware didn't even seem too difficult to detect. i have seen it a while ago, so its no excuse of them not being able to have the signature detection for it....

any other free AV's worth giving a shot that do not nag about upgrading to the pro version?

The thing about MSE is that you have to configure it properly. i have it remove ALL levels of infections, not just do a 'recommended action' where it does not delete anything. But I always use Malwarebytes in conjunction with MSE.

For bad infections I have to go into the registry via ERD commander, or use BitDefender Rescue CD.

@imposter: Try avast! then. It does seem to be more busy, although I can't report on personal experience with effectiveness; I can't remember the last time I had a virus on my PC ... and don't say "ignorance = bliss" ;)

1st, let me say :welcome: AnneWilson to the forums.

Your question would get more attention if you made your own thread....besides (and I hope you don't get offended), "threadjacking" is kinda frowned on here, but I'll answer your question as best as I can anyway.

I looked at the link you provided and if you are running a small business, and need a mail server without having to invest in your own IT department, it looks promising if you can afford it....but then you have to take in the cost of each active email account served and decide whether or not it is worth it...and if you have many accounts, it may be cheaper to hire an It professional and have him or her setup your own mail server, and although I have never tried it..you can do it on the cheap or even free with Apache Linux as your server OS.
Hope this helps,
Doc

Back