• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Antivirus Solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Norton installed on my hard drive ran once a week and clamwin on a usb stick ran once a month .

Bitdefender 2012.

Hi all, just droped in to say, ive been running Bitdefender 2012 and also been using same company for last 3+ years low profile does not interfear with day to day work and now runs on Auto pilot. It updates it self everytime you switch on your PC, and checks out any site or download before you go ahead. First class would serious reconmend to anyone.:thup::salute:

I've been running MSE with EMET, Spybot, and Firefox with ad-block plus. EMET is a fantastic tool once it's configured by adding applications and system services to the Configure Apps list.
I also run the free version of Malwarebytes. No need for any real time protection other than what I already have, I just run it once in a while to double check. Seems to work perfectly for me.
No bugs here :clap:

I seem to live on AVG but it has been getting clogged up lately with bloatware and to be honest there are much smaller software offers out there

I'm poor so I usually use free antivirus like Avast or MSE but someone gave me a gift of Kaspersky Internet security.Using windows 8.1 should I use Kaspersky over MSE or Avast free?

I'm poor so I usually use free antivirus like Avast or MSE but someone gave me a gift of Kaspersky Internet security.Using windows 8.1 should I use Kaspersky over MSE or Avast free?

Kaspersky is top quality AV solution, it will protect you better than avast and MSE in general terms.

Thanks very useful guide, Been looking for a list of the best free anti-virus software for a while. I'm currently paying for Kaspersky anti-virus, but I’m thinking about trying a free anti-virus after the subscription runs out next month. Has anyone had any experience running BitDefender Free Edition or the free Comodo Antivirus on windows 10? Thanks for your help

i believe avast, avg, malwarebytes (any and all free antivirus) are absolute junk. i fix a lot of PCs for friends, family, and community and there is a documented trend that the PCs that are fuct all have avast installed on them.

i personally favor ESET. among the well known brands, i think McAfee is by far the worst. i used to use Norton for awhile, until I discovered ESET and have never looked to other antivirus since.

I used to use AVG but I haven't used Anti Virus in months MONTHS. Seriously, if you know your way around the Internet even halfway Windows Defender is all you need. There has been times I've turned it off for specific reasons and completely forgot and left it off. I have never gotten a virus by just using the Internet. Only time anything has ever happened is when I was inexperienced and hit a download button I shouldn't have a long time ago. It is so easy to avoid getting a bug IMO. Ya if you go to dl a piece of software, most of the time there are multiple dl links and most of them are the wrong ones but I haven't hit the "wrong" one in as long as I can remember. That's probably why this thread hasn't seen much action lately, because it is so extremely easy to avoid.

i only really have it on my computer because i often stick other people's USB drives into my computer, and i don't trust anyone else but myself using The Computer.

I used to use AVG but I haven't used Anti Virus in months MONTHS. Seriously, if you know your way around the Internet even halfway Windows Defender is all you need. There has been times I've turned it off for specific reasons and completely forgot and left it off. I have never gotten a virus by just using the Internet. Only time anything has ever happened is when I was inexperienced and hit a download button I shouldn't have a long time ago. It is so easy to avoid getting a bug IMO. Ya if you go to dl a piece of software, most of the time there are multiple dl links and most of them are the wrong ones but I haven't hit the "wrong" one in as long as I can remember. That's probably why this thread hasn't seen much action lately, because it is so extremely easy to avoid.

I think there's an argument to be made there, but in reality, clicking download on a site is only one way to get an infection. You can get infected from other computers on your network, and also by hidden scripts on websites (I believe Forbes or some other major website accidentally hosted a rogue-ad that would run scripts on a computer remotely and infect the computer). Between that and sites that will just auto-run java and flash, etc not having an AV no matter how careful generally isn't recommended.

I just re-upped my ESET Nod32 subscription (I get it every year in sale for around $15 for 3 licenses -- so I can have my parents' computer protected as well to avoid an annoying trip). Next time I think I will be going with the free Sophos software.

No it's not generally recommended but I still feel as of right now the combination of how you browse and where you browse paired with Defender will keep me just as protected as 99 percent of anything else out there. I guess that above comment came across wrong. I haven't used an alternative to Defender for months.

I think there's an argument to be made there, but in reality, clicking download on a site is only one way to get an infection. You can get infected from other computers on your network, and also by hidden scripts on websites (I believe Forbes or some other major website accidentally hosted a rogue-ad that would run scripts on a computer remotely and infect the computer). Between that and sites that will just auto-run java and flash, etc not having an AV no matter how careful generally isn't recommended.

I just re-upped my ESET Nod32 subscription (I get it every year in sale for around $15 for 3 licenses -- so I can have my parents' computer protected as well to avoid an annoying trip). Next time I think I will be going with the free Sophos software.

Between PrivacyBadger, uBlock Origin, and uMatrix, drive-by malware is impossible. Since most of my family are too lazy to be bothered with actual security though, I pay for a MalwareBytes subscription for them.

Your Anti-Virus Alternative Solutions

If you own a computer, you can get a virus. If you use a computer, you can get a virus. If your kid's friend's younger brother accidentally starts mashing keys on your computer while you are on the internet, you can get a virus. Viruses pose a real threat to our personal security and love to cripple our systems. They have been around since 1982, where the first credited virus --Elk_Cloner-- was written by a 15-year-old highschool student, and ever since then, people have found this unexplainable urge to create malicious code for purposes beyound this writers understanding.

As the years progressed, computer users began to realize the threat that viruses posed was serious, and so the antivirus program was brought to life. Many people and companies began to create different and unique antivirus programs, but each one lacked something the other had. Whether it be a unique searching algorithm, a worm detection tool, or active scanning, not one company has been able to get things perfect. Fortunately for us, as time has passed, technology has advanced and more sophisticated detection proceedures have been implemented. Heuristic techniques are now implemented to detect undiscovered problems, and as one would want from a detection tool such as the Anti-Virus program, poorly written virii and suspicious programs can now be caught without having being sent with a detection list. Although this process isn't perfect, it is a step in the right direction.

Since this thread is here to provide you with some insight on what a virus is, and how to prevent from getting one, it is time that we move on to the different types of Anti-Virus programs. These programs below are a few of the most common tools that have been voted on by you in the --Comprehensive Windows-based Antivirus Poll-- thread, the --Antivirus of Choice?-- thread, plus the latest versions of programs tested in the --Mega Antivirus Test--.

(L) - Linux Version Available
(M) - Mac Version Available
(U) - Unix Version Availabe
(V) - Vista 32/64-bit Version Available
(64) - XP 64-bit Version Available
(7) - Windows 7 32/64 bit Versions Available
(S) - Windows (Home) Server
All versions available for XP 32-bit unless otherwise noted
If a website states Vista compatibility, and no evidence was found to the contrary, then this guide assumes that it is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paid

Free

Virus Removal Tools
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to get rid of a Virus (A General Guide)

First of all, I would like to start off by saying that every virus is different, and there is no one way to fix everything. But, as I have been privilaged to mess around with a few computers, and have access to the Internet, I have been able to come up with with a few basic steps which might help you in your ever so depressing task of getting rid of a virus. These basic steps will help in preventing a virus from spreading, as you will be able to cut off its avenues of escape and attempt to corner it.
  1. The first thing that I would do, actually, the first thing that everyone should do if they are planning on surfing the internet, is to download, install, and keep up-to-date an anti-virus program. There are many programs listed above, and if you do not have the financial resources to purchase one, I highly recommend that you install one of the free ones. Remember, something is always better than nothing.
  2. If your anti-virus program pics up a virus, but is having trouble deleting it, perform a google search on the virus to gain some information on it (know thy enemy). Try to find removal instructions, forum discussions, or maybe a friend who has had it before, and find out all you can about it.
  3. Disable System Restore. To do this, Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Check the 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' box.
  4. Next, update your anti-virus definitions, and then perform a scan of your computer. Also, after this completes, I would recommed that you also scan your computer with atleast two of the above online anti-virus scanning programs. This will help to detect and eliminate virii or part of a virus that your stand alone anti-virus program wasn't able to fix.
  5. If the virus is still occupying your computer, then the next thing you will want to do is to follow the removal instructions that you had earlier found about your virus. This will most likely include you rebooting into Safe Mode (Press F8 right after POST and before the Windows Booting screen comes up), and running the fixes there.
  6. Before going into safe mode, I would suggest that you download adaware and spyware removal programs as you might want to take this opportunity to scan your computer with these tools as well. The beauty about Safe Mode is that it only starts up the absolutely nessasary processes to run windows, and therefore any virus or spyware program that usualy runs when Windows boots, won't. This way, you can safely and easily remove any files that you couldn't have under normal Windows conditoins.
  7. While in Safe Mode, you should now follow the explicit instructions of how to get rid of your particular virus. This will insure that every part of it will be irradicated from your computer.
  8. After cleaning everything up, just reboot, and you are good to go. If this is not the case though, and you need more help removing your virus, just post on these forums and I am sure that someone will be able to help you out.
After going through a terrible virus infection, it becomes ever more evident that viruses are a continuing threat to our online existance. There are many new threats discovered every day, and that is why it is important to keep your anti-virus software updated. But there is one thing that all of us have to remember, and I cannot stress this enough, Common Sense is our best line of defence. By taking the extra second to think of whether or not we were expecting an attechment from a friend (or a link through MSN), not letting curiosity get the best of us in our junk mail folders, staving away from shady websites which have 'just what you were looking for', and most importantly, running an up-to-date antivirus program, we would be able to cut back on the number of infections that we get, and in the end we would have a more enjoyable online computing experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links to Different Useful Anti-Virus Threads on these Forums

Links to Different Useful Anti-Virus web pages outside these Forums

There are many different Anti-Virus programs out, and above is just a small representation of them. In the above lists, I have only included Home-based versions of the offered antivirus programs (that's excluding Workstations and File/Mail server versions), and so to get a full grasp on the different technology out there, I suggest that you take the time and carefully examine the different options at your disposal. Most of the listed companies also carry Internet security packages which include spyware removal tools and firewalls, which are just as important to have as having an A/V solution.

If there is one thing that I would like you all to take from this entire post, it is that Common Sense is our first line of defence. By taking an extra second to think about whether or not we were expecting an attachment in an email, or thinking twice about visiting the unknown sites that many of us frequent while indulging our curiosity, we would be able to greatly reduce the spread of viruses, and at the same time, we would be sending virus writers a message saying that we will no longer be taken advantage of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are way too many people out there today who (if not purposely) run their computers without an antivirus solution, and then when they get infected, they come asking for some miracle fix. In a case like this, ignorance isn't bliss, as there could very well be consequences from inaction. This is why I thought it would be prudent to write up such a post. Hopefully, by showing people that they do not have to break open their wallets to get effective antivirus protection, more computers will become protected, and thus save everyone precious time and money. Also, by encouraging people to install and update antivirus programs, we would be doing our part in stinting the spread of viruses and the motivation of virus writers. It is my view that by doing our part and spreading this message, we will be able to help educate people on how to have a safe and rewarding online experience.

To further help people out, I was also hoping to make this a continuing, community involvement thread. What I mean by this is that I will ask you to post any virus related problems that you may have had in the past, along with detailed solutions on how you went about fixing them (don't forget to state the exact name of the virus!). In the end, I am hoping that this thread turns out to be a sort of database of experience so that others would be able to turn to it for help.

In the mean time, I am more than welcome to any of your input on this post, along with any comments or suggestions that you might like to make (PM at your convenience). If there are other antivirus programs that you would like me to add to the list, other links that you feel other people should know about, or any other topic that you would like added/discussed, I am open to suggestions. This topic will be updated on a continual basis, and so if there is anything that needs to be corrected, just kindly let me know.

Remember, a virus is everyone's problem. Only by working together can we achieve what we all want.

Raven

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price.

Last edited:
Back