• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice on a S754

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ytpconquer

I am toying around with the idea of replacing my current Mobile Barton setup a with S754.
My eVGA 7800GS came with a free motherboard pictured here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188005

I have pretty much everything except the processor, so that is really the only thing I would need to buy. However, I can't decide which CPU would be best.

I am comparing between a 3000+ Venice core:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103606

3200+ Venice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103009

3400+ Newcastle core OEM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103609
(whats makes the $15 difference between these?)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103488

or a 3200+ Newcastle Retail:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103483

Comparison sheet of all:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16819103484,N82E16819103483,N82E16819103488

Now i can assume all are great chips, and I would go with the 3000+ Venice since it is a great overclocker and is cheap, but I'm not sure if the motherboard I got would do it. Thats why I kind of want to be able to get the best out of the box in case I run into trouble with the motherboard.

Does anyone know how far I would be able to get with the motherboard I listed? Getting a new motherboard is not an option because I am just upgrading to use the mobo and give my Socket A to my dad.

Also, should I get the OEM version and get an aftermarket HSF, or just use the retail one. If chances of oc'ing are slim on this board I am thinking of just going with the 3400+ Newcastle, either retail or OEM with a diff HSF.

Expert OCF opinions are appreciated! :beer:

Last edited:
The 3400 newcastle would be a good choice if you arent oc'ing but with AM2 semprons available i reckon socket940-AM2 would be best so long as you can find an alright motherboard for a decent price.

well getting a new mobo is not an option, because I am only upgrading since I already have the motherboard. I read on newegg that this mobo doesn't have a divider, so I don't think I could go very far with oc'ing. My Corsair Value RAM doesn't do very well when oc'ed.

I'm not really informed on oc'ing A64s. Do you need a divider to keep the memory running at one speed and the CPU at another?

So then if I can't oc the Newcastle 3400+ would be a good choice?
Also, if I am not gonna oc I can just get retail asnd use the stock HSF right?

If the board completely lacks memory divider setting then that is not good.
But if it will automatically lower the memory speed you can later control that with software in windows.
Either way I think that getting a Venice would be a smarter move + you can still OC a little bit, you get 90nm, SSE3 and a better memory controller.

well this is a newegg review I read that talks about oc'ing and the divider. This is really the only thing I could find:

Pros: I've got to say, I got this as a combo with my 7800GS to test the overclocking potential of this board with a sempron I had in another system. I was able to get a sempron 2600+ to OC to 2.0ghz from 1....
6ghz, no regrets =]

Cons: Lacks a divider but...... More »

Other Thoughts: ...lowering the clock speed of the pc3200 ram from 200mhz to 166mhz, then increasing the HTT of the cpu from 200mhz to 250mhz, and giving the sempron a v0.05 volt boost did the trick.

The thing is, my memory is really no good with oc'ing for some reason. My computer crashed with the FSB and Ram at 205 Mhz, with 2.8 on the RAM and 1.825 on the processor. I don't think I would be able to oc very much so I just want something that will be faster out of the box until my next upgrade.

White_Pawn said:
get an AM2 Setup. with the price slashes, you can't go wrong! venice 3000+ for only 90 bucks and you get ddr2 support.

already said I am only upgrading because I have the mobo. I can't spend money on a new video card, RAM, PSU.

90 bucks will become 600-700.

White_Pawn said:
in that case. the 3200 venice.

That is kind of what I decided on. It seems like a good balance between the 3000+ Venice and the 3400+ Newcastle. It has the better tech of the venice with slightly slower speed than the Newcastle. I will probably be able to squeeze a few hundred Mhz out of it anyway, cause this Mobo doesn't seem all that bad. I will just have to learn some more about A64 oc'ing.

"Other Thoughts: ...lowering the clock speed of the pc3200 ram from 200mhz to 166mhz, then increasing the HTT of the cpu from 200mhz to 250mhz, and giving the sempron a v0.05 volt boost did the trick."

This means there is a memory divider setting.
Just take the user's guide of the board see all the BIOS features. and check if there's anything to adjust the memory speed.

Yea I am willing to bet it has divders. Also get the 3200 Venice. 10 multi is much nicer to work with than a 3000 and the 9 multi.

The Coolest said:
"Other Thoughts: ...lowering the clock speed of the pc3200 ram from 200mhz to 166mhz, then increasing the HTT of the cpu from 200mhz to 250mhz, and giving the sempron a v0.05 volt boost did the trick."

This means there is a memory divider setting.
Just take the user's guide of the board see all the BIOS features. and check if there's anything to adjust the memory speed.

yeah The Coolest is right there. Lowering the ram to 166mHz IS the memory divider.

thanks guys! I did look in the manual, it pretty much has everything I think I would need for oc'ing. It has stuff like overvoltage and all the frequency settings. I will be going with a 3200+ venice. How far would I be able to go with the stock HSF? I have an SI-97 on my barton but I don't think it would fit on 754 right?

alright I ordered a 3200+ Venice Retail version. I should be getting it sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am gonna try it out sith the stock HSF and everything for a while, since I am in no hurry to really oc very high. I'll post with results once I get it!

I have one more quick question before my CPU arrives.

It is coming tomorrow,and since it is retail it comes with the HSF. I plan on getting an aftermarket HSF soon, but probably in a few weeks. In the mean time, I will use the stock HSF. However, I'm not sure if I should use AS5 on it or just use the pad for now. I understand that removing the pad and using AS5 voids the warranty, so should I just ignore that and use AS5 anyway?

I know that the pad becomes harder to remove once it is used, but is it worth voiding the warranty? I will for sure use AS5 with the aftermarket HSF that I will get, but I'm not sure what to do for now.

Also, I have an SI-97 on my XP right now. I saw that there was an SI-97A that was compatible with S754. Is there any way I could make my SI-97 fit on the 754?

ytpconquer said:
I have one more quick question before my CPU arrives.

It is coming tomorrow,and since it is retail it comes with the HSF. I plan on getting an aftermarket HSF soon, but probably in a few weeks. In the mean time, I will use the stock HSF. However, I'm not sure if I should use AS5 on it or just use the pad for now. I understand that removing the pad and using AS5 voids the warranty, so should I just ignore that and use AS5 anyway?

I know that the pad becomes harder to remove once it is used, but is it worth voiding the warranty? I will for sure use AS5 with the aftermarket HSF that I will get, but I'm not sure what to do for now.

Also, I have an SI-97 on my XP right now. I saw that there was an SI-97A that was compatible with S754. Is there any way I could make my SI-97 fit on the 754?

The SI-97A will fit into the S754 mounting bracket (I assume they use one) wheras the S-97 will likely clip onto the socket lugs.

Why not wait for the aftermarket HSF to come before upgrading?

Well the SI-97A is compatible with SocketA AND 754, whereas mine, the SI-97 is ONLY compatible with SocketA. I think the A version includes an xtra bracket or something.

As for waiting, that is the best option, but I don't know when I'll order the HSF. It could be up to a month.

I was thinking of getting a TT Venus 12, as these seem pretty solid. It is loud, but my comp sounds like a jet engine right now anyway.

Well I said I wanted a Venus 12, but after looking around and reading some reviews I have expanded my options to an XP-90 as well.

Would you think a Venus 12 is better or on par with an XP-90? I am talking about the aluminum XP-90, not the Copper one as I am sort of on a budget.

BTW sorry for all the double posting I don't know why I'm not editing instead.

Back