• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recapturing the Magic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shoeby

I walked into the store today and bought a copy of Everquest Titanium Edition (EQ + 10 expansions) for a mere $19.88 Why may you ask?

If you've been following some gaming news there's a little buzz about a "progression" server EQ 1 is starting at the end of the month. It starts with just old world EQ unlocked, and players have to unlock future expansions by beating content.

I started playing EQ shortly after release, left because it was too hard, and came back 6 months later, and fell head over heals in love with it. I played for many years devoting nearly 300 days /played on my man character, joining the uber guild on my server, and finally retiring shortly after my guild downed Quarm and beat the expansion.

EQ was a mixed bag for me, good and bad, On the bad side, it pretty much took over my life, I played all the time. On the good side I met the woman who would eventually become my life.

As of late I can't help but compare every game (MMO) I play to the feelings I got when I played EQ... but nothing ever lives up to it, so I bought this, to start fresh on this progression server and see if I can recapture the magic. Part of me knows that it's JUST NOSTALGIA, but another part of me wonders if I could really get sucked into it the way I once did.

Anyway I'm writing this because I'm wondering if any of my fellow OC'ers are doing the same, planning on doing the same, or think I'm a complete lunatic.

I've tried going back. I really have. I was on the same level of playing as you, in terms of my love for the game. I just never found that magic again, 5 characters and 60ish low levels again. The gameplay is just so... slow... compared to today that you could finish a novel in the time it takes you to grind out a level.

The game's still good. It's just not as good as our memory makes us believe it was.

yea I am in the same boat with swg.. loved the game to death back in 2003-04 and then after the CU I quit, then came back for NGE then quit... now trying it one last time(at least I hope..)

Falcon-K said:
yea I am in the same boat with swg.. loved the game to death back in 2003-04 and then after the CU I quit, then came back for NGE then quit... now trying it one last time(at least I hope..)

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.-Obi-Wan Kenobi"

Let it Die, you know it should ,it's time has come got to let it go.

Well back to the subject:rolleyes:

I got a letter form Sony the other day on Everquest II. I was just a basic we have a new expansion "Kingdom Of Sky" and PvP now and by the way you can start character the top of your class now, gone is class progression. Sounds like they screwed players that spent the time to level and just gave it to every one.

Question, would this server make players all start at the same level?
Would it allow cross server trading?
How good is this information?
Sounds interesting like something I could get into my self.

haha i hear ya. Why do you think i went out and bought FFXI. I know its not the "ideal" game but it is quite fun. I enjoy running around partying etc etc so this game is alright in many ways.

I compare many MMO's to it and yeah... they suck. WoW was alright in some ways, but there was literally NO storyline(supposedly when you hit 40-50 it starts to become "noticable") and all the quests are marked like they are trying to hold your hand. just annoyed me so i quit.

Falcon-K said:

Falcon, you're braver then I. I played the first week of the NGE and it almost made me wanna vomit. Don't think I'll ever play that game again.

Back on topic. Yes i'm playing on the "Combine" i.e progression server. It will be fun that I know. All the old zones, everyone at lvl 1, and a super crowded server. I haven't picked a name yet. Damn, now that I think about it I haven't played EQ in like 5 years.

Ok seams like it's going to start up June 28th, that the latest info?

What do I need to buy to get in on this? I guessing my Everquest2 stuff will not get the job dun.

We going to start a Overclockers Guild?

As far as I know, to start you only need Original EQ to get started, but as time progresses you'll need to own the expansions to go to that expansions area. I figured what the heck for 20 bucks. I've been playing for a few days now on an older established server. My thoughts are that it kinda sucks that I have to solo because there are no characters my level, but once i get to that progression server I'll have plenty of people to lvl with. Yes its slow... VERY slow, but the nice thing about EQ is the downtime that you get to meet new ppl and get to know your groupmates. As I said, this is how I came to know my wife.

yeah and yeah. (she's playing and 14.95/mo)
Dragged a few people from my old WoW guild that used to play hardcore. The wife and I joined a guild temporarily called Revenance that is made up of some Fires of Heaven guild board members.

Back