• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SMP will really help your progress on getting the first million :)

I have found it to be resonably stable on my dedicated folding rigs. I run dual boot on them so i can fold win or linux smp but atm I run mostly linux (~ 14 out of 16). If the wu mix changes (ie. ppd) significantly between them i can fairly easily switch over.

FahMon is pretty good for monitoring them but it does take a regular manual scroll thru its log view to ensure none are 'hung'. Since i run 6 quads in linux with 2 instances, if one instace does hang for a while it just means the other one goes faster, so i don't see much of a drop in production. The dual cores with single instances do need a bit more watching since it is easy to lose 1/2 day of production. I also need to watch that i don't let 2 2608/09's run at the same time on the quads since ppd and elapsed time will degrade noticably.

But still, all the more reason to have more quads :D

:welcome: back to the fold nucligator! I know nothing about that program who's name I shall not speak, but you spoke the words to make everything right:

"dual quad-core", "borgie", "12 rigs", "big numbers"

You are all good with me :cool:

ok guys answer me this:

I am relatively certain that ppd are close on Linux and Window$, but I would love to be able to start building a farm of rigs that i can boot to a linux distro with a pre-configured client running.

To do this I would like to use a CD to boot with and have FAH load automatically - no desktop, GUI, nuthin but naked Linux of any flavor.

Here's this kicker... I have a hard time doing Linux. I have been stuck to Windows since DOS 2.0 if ya know what I mean.

Any ideas if something like this can be had? It would be 2kewl if there was an ISO like this somewhere. HECK I would even host it on my server if I had it....

= )

I am pretty sure it can be done although i am a noob too in linux so don't know how to do it.

A lot of folks were smp folding in linux from a livecd when they started. But they would have to setup? or at lest startup folding manually on each reboot and work in progess is lost if you need to reboot.

The common issue with diskless folding is the loss of all progress when a power hit is taken or a reboot happens. If this is an infrequent event then i suppose you can choose to live with vs the savings of a hdd or other writable media for every rig. I imagine usb sticks might be an alternative to hdd ... probably uses less power, but you still hafta buy them, and i don't know about their longevity. RW cd's might be possible but you still need a cd drive. Diskless from a server is likely best and especailly if checkpoints can be stored and restarted from.

There are a few folks here (ghettocomp, cuda340 and others) that use notfred's support for windows diskless folding. From what i recall reading they seem to lose work in progress on restarts. I assume it would work ok for smp, but the smp frequency of hangs etc may be detrimental, especially to the science since elapsed times could increase even more without checkpoint restarts and deadlines could more easily be missed.
There are a few threads here on it.

I expect there is something similar for linux but i am not sure where to point you. There have been some discussions here about some of the linux guru's putting together a 64 bit linux folding distro but i haven't seen any info on it being completed.

The major issue with these setups is the work in setting it up on heterogeneous hardware and the lack of flexibilty in upgrading/reconfiguring and managing them, although i am sure you get good at it after a while.

I have never taken to it since i like to oc my farm rigs, so i tend to tinker with them a fair bit. But if building such a setup is your equivalent of my oc'ing hobby, then I am sure it would be a fun project :)

Last edited:
great to be back in the fold (lol pun intended)

ok how can we talk some linux gurus into building a 64bit distro on a CD with a line-command configurable client?

I have two AMD64's sitting here chuggin away at windoze and I think they would do better booting to a CD instead of spending all those cycles processing graphics, AV, and all the other chum that windows makes a computer swallow.

Maybe I offer to pay $100 for the coding and then host it on my personal website? Someone come up with it for us!!!!!!

Back