• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel D805 + Phase change results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

Sorry if someone has posted something similiar to this already, but I was curious as to the performance of the extremely overclockable Intel D805 dual core cpu, and everywhere Ive been reading there saying that its overclockable on air , stable at 4ghz, with water 4.1-4.4, I want to know if anyone has stacked a serious phase change on it, since at 4ghz it outperforms every cpu on the market currently (at the others CPU's, stock ratings).

Exempt said:
since at 4ghz it outperforms every cpu on the market currently (at the others CPU's, stock ratings).

Dont have much to say on your main question myself, not to many people in here either. If you wont find your answer here try here XS.

Why would you compare an overcloed cpu to a stock one? Looks like AMD FX's still hold the top, we'll see what conroe has to offer soon, looks like it will take the top. Then in Q1/Q2 2007 amd K8L will be out to rock intels world.

Conroe did take the top but a large margin (74k+ 3dmark01 being one of them) just its been taken down by futuremark. Its not a good comparison of OC to stock, but you may be able to see 4.5-5ghz.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Why would you compare an overcloed cpu to a stock one? Looks like AMD FX's still hold the top, we'll see what conroe has to offer soon, looks like it will take the top. Then in Q1/Q2 2007 amd K8L will be out to rock intels world.

I figured with a good regassed mach II gt, or regassed vapo LS, the chip should theoretically be able to hit 4.6ghz, possibly 4.8ghz beyond that the chip would be producing a ridiculous heat load, as well as straining the limits of a kicka$$ PSU, now I was hoping that at this speed, and the speed of a highly overclocked FX 60, would be near comparable, the D805 possibly losing by 15-20% in realtime utilization. Now thats all theoretical speculation, but if in fact that was close to the truth, I would compare it for the simple reason of Intel D805= $88 bucks (reseller) vs AMD fx 60 = $750, or the dual core at $1150.

I don't "side" with either AMD or intel, I just want the fastest (in this case for gaming). I do have to say Im not fond of the intel BGA style CPU placement, since Ive always been a strong advocate on proper insulation with non conductive silicone on the pins and pins sockets, Id just feel safer being able to insulate actual pins, not smear some goo on balls, (no analogy intended there). Ive had two of my current rigs , one a mach II gt regassed/ Baker block, running a Prescott 3.4 @ 4.6 for over 2 years now, never had a glitch or a problem, and my other a vapochill LS, regassed, chillcontrol modded, PC Ice tuned, running a 3.2 NW, @ 4.4ghz for 2 1/2 years, I seriously have to say its the insulation job thats kept it running this long, and this stable, since Ive had bad experiences with my mach I, and improper insulation many years ago.

I gained a total of 150 mhz on my 805D when I had it under my phase-unit. It went from about 3450 on air with load temps that hit 82c :eek: to 3600 with load temps of -29c. Obviously this chip was a dud but sometimes chips can hit near their limit under air.

Trying to guess what sort of increase you will see under ICE is never constant but the max changes I have seen from stock air to phase has generally been between 150mhz (in the case of my 805D), 400mhz (with my San Diego) and 450mhz (with my Dothan). I think most people would agree that going from stock air to phase should net between 300-500 mhz on average.

NoL said:
Better question Ad Rock is what voltage did you place it at?

Well 1.7 in BIOS but I was running it under a P5P800-SE which is a terrible board IMO. CPU-Z would show 1.4-1.32 under load so either CPU-Z was misreading or the board undervolts terribly low. I sinked the mosfets with copper sinks and had a 80mm fan blowing over them and it still discolored the underside of the PCB from the heat. I am pretty sure that the mobo was undervolting pretty badly but I could not find a Vcore measuring point for the board anywhere. I am sure with a better mobo my results would of been different.

The chip was weak though IMO since one core would fail prime at about 3.65 and the other core could go until 3.9. Still that chip was terrible even under stock cooling since I beleive most people were hitting at least 3.8 on that combo.

The 805D is a rather new Smithfeild budget Intel part..
cheapest dual core CPU out there right now :thup:

I havn't seen phase results either. I would think someone would spring for a 930 if they were phasing a netburst chip ;)

Ad Rock said:
I think most people would agree that going from stock air to phase should net between 300-500 mhz on average.

Except with dud cpus, a decent, not great cpu, from my experience, (and of course a strong condenser unit, should give you a minimum of 400-600mhz increase, but then again , most of my overclocking experience has been with intel CPUs, and within the last few years, 1000mhz, is pretty much something that is attained very easily, even with average (intel) cpus. But from my AMD overclocking experience Id say a good unit should give you at an average of 600mhz overclock.

greenmaji said:
The 805D is a rather new Smithfeild budget Intel part..
cheapest dual core CPU out there right now :thup:

I havn't seen phase results either. I would think someone would spring for a 930 if they were phasing a netburst chip ;)

The chip cost me more than my whole unit did :).

I do wish however I would of bought a better mobo to mess around with that 805D.

Ad Rock said:
The chip cost me more than my whole unit did :).

I do wish however I would of bought a better mobo to mess around with that 805D.

I've heard about the great deals you got on your parts :thup:
Did you make a thread when you built it? Link?

greenmaji said:
I've heard about the great deals you got on your parts :thup:
Did you make a thread when you built it? Link?

I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist (you couldnt tell from looking at my work however) so I never really wanted to make a thread on a unit until I more happy with its looks. I want to change some more on this unit (mostly just paint the tubing and make a new base-plate) but I am saving the big revisions until I can get a hold of some milled evap's. Also the cover on the compressor starter is off at the moment. Oh and I bought a bunch of fibre-glass to make a custom shroud for the condensor but have not got around to making it yet.

Also please keep in mind I built this in my bedroom in our apartment in Montreal, so it was pretty tricky trying not to light anything on fire with my girlfriend shaking her head at me :p .

Anyway here is a quick sneak-peak of the unit with its fancy cap-in-cap evap and all.

Upload.JPG

Ad Rock said:
I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist (you couldnt tell from looking at my work however) so I never really wanted to make a thread on a unit until I more happy with its looks. I want to change some more on this unit (mostly just paint the tubing and make a new base-plate) but I am saving the big revisions until I can get a hold of some milled evap's. Also the cover on the compressor starter is off at the moment. Oh and I bought a bunch of fibre-glass to make a custom shroud for the condensor but have not got around to making it yet.

Also please keep in mind I built this in my bedroom in our apartment in Montreal, so it was pretty tricky trying not to light anything on fire with my girlfriend shaking her head at me :p .

Anyway here is a quick sneak-peak of the unit with its fancy cap-in-cap evap and all.

Upload.JPG

Looking good looking good :)

Nice work Ad Rock :D Pretty is a diffent skill, performance is were it's at :thup:

It sounds like the board you ran the 805D with could have used a Vdroop mod.

jinu117 said:
Looking good looking good :)

Coming from you thats a nice compliment, thanks :). I hope to eventually build some units that can hold a candle to your own.

greenmaji said:
Nice work Ad Rock :D Pretty is a diffent skill, performance is were it's at :thup:

It sounds like the board you ran the 805D with could have used a Vdroop mod.

It could of used a pass through a chipper/shredder but instead I just RMA'd it (it actually starting freezing up in the BIOS boot screen so I had an easy escape).

Eventually I should be able to produce something similar to Jinu117 in terms of looks :D.

Back