• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to find a PSU type plug for my pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've never seen a premade one without a relay. You could probably rig something yourself with parts from a hardware store; install a socket for an EIA plug in the back of your case or one for something small on a card slot cover. Or just make a hole for the cable to go through and knot it behind.

I would just run the plug out one of the pci slots, you can probably find a plug at the hardware store, or just cannibalize an extension cord. Since you're never going to turn it off, just plug it directly into your wall or a power strip and leave it.

I took apart an old dell psu and i was looking at its plug. it has all kinds of capacitors and such but if i took those off and use it you think it would work?

wait a sec, do you have an AC or a DC pump? your sig says you have a D4, so you just need to connect it to a molex on your PSU and it'll be on whenever your computer is on. If you want to have it be on when your computer is off, you'll have to get a DC inverter and permanently wire it to that. That's really way too much trouble though, just connect it to a molex and be done with it.

This is for my new system. I bought a iwaki MD-20RZ, Thermochill 120.3, Storm Rev2.

ok, just wire it up to run off an external plug then. the point of a relay is to turn the pump on w/ the computer, and if you don't want to turn the pump off, then just plug it into the wall.

I dont want to just run a wire out of my case. I want to make it look clean and have the ability to unplug my pump by pulling the cord out of the back of my computer. Ideally i want to setup some LEDs that tell me when there is power to the pump or not just incase it accidentally gets unpluged. Just an extra safty measure.

yeh i would not wire out of you case, if you turned ur computer on and forgot to turn the pump that would not be good, and i would say don't use the LEDs use an lcd screen :rolleyes: they look cool and you can display what you want on them, just a thaught and they are only about $10

As long as you use thermal shut-down forgetting to turn the pump on soulnd't break a thing. Not that I recommend doing it.

UmHelp said:
I dont want to just run a wire out of my case. I want to make it look clean and have the ability to unplug my pump by pulling the cord out of the back of my computer. Ideally i want to setup some LEDs that tell me when there is power to the pump or not just incase it accidentally gets unpluged. Just an extra safty measure.

Buy a male->pin 3-prong jack (or take out one from an old PSU), drill a hole in your case, mount the jack. Then, cut the male plug from the pump, and solder that to the jack. Get a standard power cable, and plug that into the wall/strip. Plug that into your case whenever. Only way to do it. I believe mouser should have those jacks.

BTW, I'm getting the impression that you want to just plug it straight into the PSU for some reason. That pump NEEDS to be plugged into a 120VAC jack, it can't run off a computer's 12v line.

No, I dont want to connect the pump directly to the PSU i want to cut a hole right above my psu with the same type of plug. It would look like there are two power plugs going into the computer.

#J2 looks exactly like what I want. I was just going to use the plug from an old PSU (I mean cut it out of the PSU maybe thats where some of hte confusion was) but there are all kinds of capacitors and resistors soldered on and it would be a bit of work getting them all off so i might just grab one from that site.

Back