• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCF Drafting Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlavrenz

Well I was looking at all the clubs one day and thought hmmm... I don't really fit into any of them. So I decided to make my own! Well just any old club by myself would be useless so this one has to be worth while. I decided to go with the drafting club as that is this is what I do for a job. I am mainly thinking CAD and bored but if anyone else has other drafting expireince, feel free to post. Once you reply, You will be added to the list and can put your number in your sig!

Information I would like to know... none of the fields are required if you don't want to answer the questions

1) What field you are in-
...architectual, mechanical, electrical

2) How you draft-
...CAD, Inventor, Bored etc.

3)Where you work-
...city,state and/or company

4)Any other special information you would like to share.

Feel free to PM me or post as to any suggestions you may have

Last edited:
OCF Drafting Club Member List...

0- dlavrenz
1- adamwinn
2- -maddog-
3- Captain Slug
4- elcreepo
5- Son1990
6- DietPepsi0219
7- ZhengHe
8- darksparkz
9- Burdman27911
10- maxxpehling

Last edited:
1) What field you are in- electrical

2) How you draft- CAD with the Promise-E add on

3) Where you work- WI, Absolute Automation Systems Incorporated

4) Well you guys will be mad at me for starting this club but, I only started last as a fresman in high school in a drafting class. This summer, I have already started working under another engineer who is teaching me Promise and together, we are drawing the plans for electrical control panels

1) Field: Construction
2) How: Autodesk DWF Composer
3) Where: Rescue Concrete, Inc. (California)
4) Other: I hate digitizers as well as 'black paper' CAD drawings. White backgrounds for the win!

Most of the time I'm measuring other peoples' drawings (architects, etc.) so I spend most of my time in DWF Composer, but every now and then I bust open AutoCAD when needed =P

I'm in. ACAD, inventor, blender (if that counts). Amateur at engineering and architectural.

1) Not in a field yet. Will probably go into marketing and/or product design
2) Alibre Xpress, Milkshape 3D, and Eagle PCB
3) A really nice local machine shop is about to hire me because I know how to work in Alibre Xpress and they like my machining work.
4) I've never taken any CAD, 3D design, or even machining related classes. I've learned all of it the hard way on my own since I was about 12.

Ok looks as though no one else will be joining for a while sooooo... lets get a little conversation started.

First of all, do you like it when I assign numbers or do you want to pick your own???

Secondly, I want to describe Promis to you as it is an awesome tool that is revoultionizing the way they design panels at my work. But first, It is late and I have a soccer game and my birthday party tommorrow(I guess that would be today now) so a little sleep would be nice. Probably won't be on the rest of today so don't expect a response.

Last edited:
So anyways appears as though I am not that popular. :cry:

O well:shrug:, it hasn't stopped me from geeky things in the past:p

Promis... well basically it takes ACAD and creates a database for all the "blocks" which are now called symbols. When you drop a symbol on the page, it knows what part number it is and can associate with the related schematic/panel layout view. Then when that is all done, you draw the wires and the computer automatically assigns the wire numbers. You can then choose to print all the wire labels and panel tags without re-typing them all. Finally, when you finish the panel, all the parts are automatically ordered after accessing our parts database.

:eek: Now doesn't that save time.:drool:

It is easier to explain when you are looking at the program:rolleyes: But really it does help a lot because I onl know basic CAD and I have no knowledge of electrical symbols but I can draw panels:clap:

So this is a pretty cool program and we should have it fully impelamented in a couple of weeks. :thup:

O yea, :bday: to me tommorrow!!!

Structural/Heavy Industrial/Petrochem

2) How you draft-
AutoCAD, Microstation, Bentley Autoplant, PDS

3)Where you work-
Stantec Consulting
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

4)Any other special information you would like to share.
Done about 8 years of 2D/3D drafting, mostly for industrial projects dealing mostly with structural stuff, i.e. concrete foundations, steel framing/supports, buildings, etc.

1) Not really in one. Looking to get into electrical engineering when I graduate.
2)Solidworks, Milkshape 3D
3)New York City with Baker & McKenzie (law firm) in the IT department
4)National paintball player. Want to get into the paintball gun/marker industry

1) Field: probablly going to go in to some sort of engineering career...or maybe be an animal doctor just like my daddy!! (just kidding: i would never be a doctor and would never want to be like my dad..who happens to be a doctor)
2) How: ptc pro-destop 8.0
3) Where: suburb of milwaukee wisconsin
4) Other: i am in high school and by no means a professional...

1)Field: None currently, since I'm a High School student, though I was considering either Marine or Environmental Engineering though that may change.
2) How you draft: AutoCad, Bentley Microstations, By hand, Chief Architect, Rhino3d
3)Where you work: As far as engineering nowhere, though I do design for fun. See #1
4)N/A

Architectural, planning to minor in mechanical in college.

2) How you draft-
AutoCAD and a few other AutoDesk programs, ie VIZ, AccuRender

3)Where you work-
Taking classes in high school.

4)Any other special information you would like to share-
I've taken two years of manual and machine drafting by hand, and a single year of AutoCAD floorplans and 3-D buildings, all in high school. Considering to major in Architecture and minor in Mechanical Engineering.

Mechanical Engineering (student still)... tho looking for automotive field down the road

2) How you draft-
CAD (solidworks, a little autocad..and mess around with a few others)

3)Where you work-

I'm working for a tobacco company as a sort of intern for mulitple semesters, but I don't do drafting there, more along the lines of IE work.

4)Any other special information you would like to share...

I haven't had much experience at all with drafting, I want to do more as I doodle around with designs of vehicles and I'm looking to get into the Automotive field soon.

1) mechanical

2) wow I have used so many. AutoCAD, inventor, Rhino, solidworks, CATIA (on a strictly hush hush basis) theres several others but those are the main ones. I use rhino more often than the others. I've also done a lot by hand. and I've discovered that hand drawing a gear tops out as the worst thing in the world to draw.

3) Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton Washington.

4) Im six foot four, dodn't that suck

(run:/Dancingobnoxiously/) Yeah more people have come :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow! I am surprised at the number of students here. I figured I was only one of a handful that draft but it looks there are a lot more.

Back