Installing x800gto ... HELP !!

I've installed a new x800gto agp to replace my geforce 5700le.

I've removed the geforce drivers, used driver cleaner then physically installed the new card.

On booting into windows xp pro sp2 the 'New Hardware' wizard opens but then says it can't install because the software can't be found.

Tried with the installation disc in & downloaded latest from ATI , still the same.

Running the ati install program on the disc stops with a message
    'Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup a standard vga driver before running setup'

It Seems Windows just can't recognise the x800.

Any ideas anyone ??

Hopefully its something simple I've missed.

I've had this happen when I tried to install drivers before rebooting.

Heatware Profile
    I had the exact same issue with a X800Pro. I had to actually reinstall windows. What happened was wen I ran the drive cleaner (same as you did) it actually deleted the Windows VGA registry entries. Since I don't care to mess round with the registry and I love to do it anyway, I reinstalled windows. Then, all was good.
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    2 x 4GB g.skill Sniper 1866
    Gigabyte GTX770 Windforce

Ever heard of Google? Try their fantastic "Search" option!
    "A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." --- Herm Albright

10 Year Badge
    cant you select what you want to delete with drivercleaner? u accidentally deleted registry entries? i've never had this problem
    Intel i7 4790k 4.4ghz +H220-X| ASRock Z97x Killer | AMD Perf. 4x4GB DDR3 1866 | Sapphire R9 290 tri-x CFX| Samsung 840pro 256gb|
    640gig+1.5tb WD 7200rpm| Antec Twelve Hundred|Cooler Master V1000
    ASUS vg234QE 144hz monitor | CreAtive X-Fi XtremeMusic | Fanatec Porsche 911TS wheel Logitech g500. OCZ Elixir