• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Thermalright Ultra 120 the absolute best air cooler in existence?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh yeah one question is it better to burn in with a stress test for a few hours or would it be better to keep the pc mostly idle for the first 200 hours.i figure if you burn in that makes the processor hotter if you make sure not to push the pcin the first 200 hours when the thermal compound is hardening wont everything generally stay at colder temps?

madhatR said:
ill prolly go tuniq tower on conroe unless scythe ever releases the all copper ninja that they keep showing off

I would think that to be FAR too heavy for conventional mounting systems.

I remember how heavy my XP 90 C was, and that has nothing on the size of the Ninja.

Given the height of the tower and the added weight of a fan I could forsee issues with board flex and bad seating.

Proly why they are not releasing their Pretty toy for consumers.

SteveHabs said:
i figure if you burn in that makes the processor hotter if you make sure not to push the pcin the first 200 hours when the thermal compound is hardening wont everything generally stay at colder temps?

I would have to disagree with you here. "Thermal Cycling" Helps to seat and spread the TIM. By warming and cooling repeatedly it seeks the gaps when it is warm and viscous. If it stayed cool all the time, the material would not have an oportunity to fall into the valleys and evacuate the crests between the 2 surfaces before the TIM cured.

dguy6789 said:
Could you provide evidence?
I would have to get some Screen Caps for you but I can run my Sig Proc @ 2500 Fanless with the Ninja, and not go above 42c while Priming.
I suppose it would depend on your case though. I have a fair amount of air going through my case, and the 2 exhaust fans on the back are horizontally in-line with the Ninja.

Last edited:
Is tuniq ever going to release a k8 version that comes with a bracket for it?? as far as I know k9 aka socket am2 boards need a special retention bracket for the heavier heatsinks and none are available from tuniq right now im pretty sure but thermalright has some you can buy i wonder if they would work with tuniq tower.

I settled on the thermalright si-120 just because its the xp 120s successor But im guessing ultra 120 cools better then si-120?

SteveHabs said:
I hear all of you sweating the conroe. Please tell me what you like so much about it and to whatever you say all I have to say is wait till amd releases the 4X4 near november unless you have money to burn.

Steve all I can really say is that you are an interesting cat...

Stop gap ;)
slower procs at that :p

I gave the madshrimps.be reviewer an e-mail asking about upcoming heat sink reviews, he says he's getting ready to do a new one and that thermalright doesn't think its such a good idea to give him a test sample.. but if I (or anyone else) thinks its a good idea to give thermalright an email about it (I already did ;) )

well i think one k8l will come close in performance to the conroe especially benchmark wise and i think 2 of them will make them pretty much equal if not performing a little better than the conroe.But never the less most current games wont see advantages from either of these processors as its mostly gpu dependant with pcs. future titles are what we have to look forward to.

with memory intensive applications like video editing dvd authoring and autocad and photoshop.

amd and intel will always be pretty close in performance. when one company gets close the other will reply with something as good or better. the competition is what will keep getting us better technology that the government had back in the 70s probably.

anyways even if the 2 k8ls on the 4x4 motherboard are beat by one conroe processor at least amd created the multi socket idea. physics coprocessors and other things to make the pc perform better will be great for the pc world.

whenever the new tech comes out though remember you have to pay a big price for it. if you spend 4000 and thats with discount shopping sites you could bet with dell they would charge like 8000 or more and not even with quality parts.only a certain amount of people can afford to fully utilize these new features mostly gamers or people in the it world/business owners/managers.most pc users wont even care about having these things for a long time.

but the main theme is that whatever is better at any certain time will eventually be caught up with or beaten until a little time goes on and the other company takes the offensive. it goes back and forth. i think excluding the 4x4 features staying with am2 boards one k8l processor will compete fine against the conroe.just remember none of this stuff will be cheap and in 4-5 months there will be better stuff.

:eek:
I must have set off a nerve, Ill stop now (it just gets worse :p )

I still would like to see that Ultra-120 review :D

im sure there are reviews. search on yahoo. and im sure tuniq tower 120 still has the ultra 120 beat.

The review would compair it with the top 20 heatsinks as of June and some more new ones :eek:

no that reveiw hasn't been done ;)

but just a review that compairs it and the Tuniq Tower would be cool :cool:
And I havn't seen any :(

The reason we havn't seen a Tuniq Tower VS. Ultra-120 is because the Tuniq is out of stock everywhere? Nobody can get thier hands on one to test it against the Ultra-120 is what I'm guessing?

BTW, has anyone tried out the new SI-128 ?

product_si128.jpg

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_si128.htm

The reviewer just needs a reveiw sample of the ultra-120 he already has the Tuniq Tower (among 20+ others) thermalright doesn't think its a good idea to send him one (for some unknown reason, they havn't replied to my e-mail)

I am not a fan of all aluminum coolers. While aluminum disspiates heat faster it is at the same time slower to absorb heat from the source.

I am personally in love with the zalman 9500.

Big thing i dont like about the thermalright ones is that without modding on some sort of fan box you lose a lot of efficiency because you are only actively blowing air across about 60% of the fin surface because of the center part of the fan. That really does make a HUGE difference.

Back