• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's Secret Weapon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As for the servers; Isn't a Quad-Core Woodcrest kicking a Dual Opteron 200 system's arse?

Yes, AMD does have the potential for 8 cores with 4 Dual Core Opteron 800s.

Well the server's I was referring to are 4 and 8 way SMP solutions, not to be confused with quadcore or 2x dual core servers, there is a difference when talking about communication between physical processors. I think the woodcrests are performing better than the dual opterons by a decent margin but I don't think thats the case when 4 or more chips are used in a server. Thats where the HT link works far better than intels bus based implementation.

This isn't a secret weapon or anything that will outperform conroe, if it was AMD would be telling the world about it. This and some other thing that AMD is doing is just a quick fix until they are able to get K8L out the door, at least this time around they are doing something to improve performance while they work on a new gen chip, this wasn't the case back when they were working on K8.

I said the exact same thing, Avg. That AMD would be telling the world about it. But that was before I found out that Intel was doing the same thing. In which case, it doesn't really do anything for AMD. Intel will still come out on top, so its not as big of a deal. It is to the rest of the world, however, as our performance just increased 66% in 90% of our applications without us having to do much about it.

i'm hoping this is true, for both companies, but more-so from amd, because if you add the speculated '4x4' into this equation, it gets more interesting

i'm hoping for all amd am2 cpu's to be able to work in the '4x4', as well as am2 opterons

Ok, so lets see if im getting this and if not PLEASE correct me. So what RHT does is makes both the cores act like one which gives better performance to single threaded aps? If this is the case I don't really see it being very useful in the future when everything utilizes 2 or more cores. Now for todays standards this would give you a lot of performance with single threaded aps. Am I in the right direction here?

^^^^^ pretty much nailed it on the head. The amount of performance gain to be realized is certainly up in the air though. If I had to take a guess its not gonna be all that much of an improvement.

well, what about programs that are optimized for dual-core, but you have quad-core? this will allow the program to take advantage of the other 2 cores, and so on.....assuming it's true

Yep, Quad Cores would become supercharged Dual Cores.

As for the performance increase, I'd say its 66% (2/3 more). If you've ever seen a benchmark of a Dual Core processor in a Dual Core-supporting game, a X2 3800+ performed roughly like a 3.2 to 3.4Ghz Single Core Athlon 64. It seems that this would be similar, if not the same. Plus, someone commented on XS that it would make a 3.6Ghz Kentsfield like a 6.0Ghz Conroe, so I'm guessing they have a good idea of what the performance increase would be. Its big though, nothing to snort at. Something to "write home about," if you will.

Question: Dual Core-supporting games; Have they not been doing this for a while now? How DO you get a game to run on both cores? Don't they divide up the instructions, sending every other one to the second core? Or do they run the Physics on one core, etc?

Last edited:
Two Athlon FX 64s in a dual-CPU motherboard will certainly give Conroe a run for its money, no matter how aggressively Intel clocks its new babies.

And cost you a pretty penny, lol. Kentsfield, anyone?

xFlankerx said:
And cost you a pretty penny, lol. Kentsfield, anyone?

true, but did you read my last post, there are going to be 22xx series opterons for am2/'4x4', how about 2 of the cheapest 22xx opty dual-cores with 2x1mb L2 on each, and reverse-hyperthreading, and overclocked sound?

remember, the '4x4' platform is for hardcore gamers/enthusiasts, so you know there's gonna be some good oc boards for us....
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32605
albeit not for 4-5 months, but worth the wait, we'll get to see the release and let prices settle down

There is no way that K8-based processors are going to be any sort of a challenge to any Core-based processors.

Whats so special of 22xx series processors? Its basically Opteron 2xx for AM2, right? So 2 Dual Core Opteron 22xx processors in 4x4 - Same thing as two Dual Core A64s in 4x4. If you're referring to overclockability of the Opterons, there is no guarantee that the newer Opterons would overclock as well. The Conroe and Kentsfield processors overclock better than the Opterons too, if you hadn't noticed. I'm sorry, I just don't see the big deal. RHT - Intel has it as much as AMD does, lol.

4x4 is a bad name anyway. It should be 2x2. Two cores x Two Sockets.

well, as far as i've read(and i've read alot), K8L will be on AM2, so there is that upgrade path...in other words...two Quad-cores....with RHT.....mmmmmm

Yes, well, I've read a lot too and AMD's K8 Quad Cores aren't coming until Q4 of 2007. K8L Quad Cores in Q1 2008. Intel's desktop Quad Cores are in Q1 2007. Not to mention the tweaking and core revisions that Intel gets to make over the course of a year.

Truthfully, I don't K8L is going to do much for AMD. But people smarter than I have said that there will be clock-efficiency changes. However, most everyone believes that K8L will give the Athlon 64s, at most, a 20% performance increase, putting it neck to neck with today's (or rather, next month's) Conroe. But then AMD has to deal with Intel's 45nm Penryn in 2008, and any changes Intel makes to Conroe up until the mid-'07 release of K8L.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Intel vs. AMD thread, but I just needed to say that once on OC Forums. I've been quiet here for the past couple of weeks, so thanks for letting me make that little schpiel. Its all IMO, ofcourse, but its grounded in a lot of facts and articles. I'm not liking AMD's chances in the somewhat long-term future. Unless AMD has another secret like RHT (and RHT still has to be confirmed), its not looking too good for them.

I bought a cheap computer to game while I wait for the new generation to pan out, and see who can give me the best performance/cash ratio.

And everyday I'm happy I did, because there is no way we can guess who'll win. Yes, Intel is leading right now, and hardcore. The 6600 is on par with AM2 FX-62, so I hope AMD has something ready until I upgrade to Vista/Dx10/last generation proc. But AMD has always proved ressourceful.

We're seeing crazy performance for very low cost, 2 interresting platforms coming to life and a new main OS around the corner.

About RHT, it's possible. It's also possible to keep both cores in sync using the shared L2 cache. I don't think it's something that will be major, as both companies will certainly manage to get that technology out sooner than later.

xFlankerx said:
Yes, well, I've read a lot too and AMD's K8 Quad Cores aren't coming until Q4 of 2007. K8L Quad Cores in Q1 2008. Intel's desktop Quad Cores are in Q1 2007. Not to mention the tweaking and core revisions that Intel gets to make over the course of a year.

Truthfully, I don't K8L is going to do much for AMD. But people smarter than I have said that there will be clock-efficiency changes. However, most everyone believes that K8L will give the Athlon 64s, at most, a 20% performance increase, putting it neck to neck with today's (or rather, next month's) Conroe. But then AMD has to deal with Intel's 45nm Penryn in 2008, and any changes Intel makes to Conroe up until the mid-'07 release of K8L.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Intel vs. AMD thread, but I just needed to say that once on OC Forums. I've been quiet here for the past couple of weeks, so thanks for letting me make that little schpiel. Its all IMO, ofcourse, but its grounded in a lot of facts and articles. I'm not liking AMD's chances in the somewhat long-term future. Unless AMD has another secret like RHT (and RHT still has to be confirmed), its not looking too good for them.
So, you read a lot?
Have you read the confession of the Intel's chief server's architect
about AMD's Opterons?
Who told you kentsfield is faster than Opteron in server system? Do more reading, or shall i say: start reading.

First of all, I mixed up Woodcrest and Kentsfield. Woodcrest is the Quad Core server, and Kentsfield is the Quad Core Desktop, not due until Q1 2007. I just wanted to get that cleared out of the way.

Now, I don't concern myself much with the server market. If I don't keep up with every single article, I can be excused for that. Plus, I mentioned neither Woodcrest, nor Kentsfield, in my last post, so you didn't really address anything I said there. Want to link me to this confession?

xFlankerx said:
First of all, I mixed up Woodcrest and Kentsfield. Woodcrest is the Quad Dual Core server [essentially a Conroe in a server package], and Kentsfield is the Quad Core Desktop, not due until Q1 2007 [Clovertown is the quad-core server chip]. I just wanted to get that cleared out of the way.

Now, I don't concern myself much with the server market. If I don't keep up with every single article, I can be excused for that. Plus, I mentioned neither Woodcrest, nor Kentsfield, in my last post, so you didn't really address anything I said there. Want to link me to this confession?

Just some clarification for ya :)

Also, I wouldn't count AMD out just yet, quite a few tweaks are coming down the road, more than many are expecting and don't forget, we're still comparing 65nm intel chips to 90nm AMD chips and saying intel edges out AMD in power and has a decent bump in speed. Just imagine if AMD gets 65nm right...

xFlankerx said:

We can expect them as soon as Q1 07....

dan

Back