• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's Secret Weapon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That isn't it yet, it doesn't do reverse ht its just an optimizer.

All this brew-haha about RHT when something already exists in our DCs. While watching F@H running the otherday I notinced CPU usage at 50% (WTF). Upon close inspection I notice an oscillation between the cores. Apparently, at least on the Optis, as a running app is capable of chunking code into both cores for concurrent processing. Note this is not parallel since they are running synconous and waiting for the other to finish. This would mean Core 0 is HTTing stuff over to Core 1 to munch on while it does other tasks.

well, lol, yeah, windows as it is can tell programs to run on different cpu's, what it can't do is tell 1 single-threaded program to divide it's instructions up among the 2 cores

mjw21a said:
I take it you're joking there... AMD doesn't have the cash to do so....
Since when did every MERGER involve just cash? Besides it could just involve part of ATI's operations...
No more joking about this than I was when I said to expect quad core AMD cpus in Dell systems many many months ago

OC Detective said:
Since when did every MERGER involve just cash? Besides it could just involve part of ATI's operations...
No more joking about this than I was when I said to expect quad core AMD cpus in Dell systems many many months ago

Actually, I saw a website which was analyzing this possibility and they said that AMD has over $2 billion in cash right now and I think (don't quote me) they showed that to take ATI over would take just over $3 billion. So AMD could probably swing it and if ATI wasn't against the idea, it'd probably be pretty easy.

]-[itman said:
Actually, I saw a website which was analyzing this possibility and they said that AMD has over $2 billion in cash right now and I think (don't quote me) they showed that to take ATI over would take just over $3 billion. So AMD could probably swing it and if ATI wasn't against the idea, it'd probably be pretty easy.
Trouble is AMD needs 2.5B to upgrade Fab 30 to the next level, I wonder if they would risk meassing with a video card company.

AlabamaCajun said:
Trouble is AMD needs 2.5B to upgrade Fab 30 to the next level, I wonder if they would risk meassing with a video card company.
or, they already paid for it...not to mention the money germany is giving them

Seems a lot of people dont really understand economics fully. If a company needs to buy something they dont always need cash - why do you think there is are entries for DEBT and EQUITY when you look at any balance sheet? Also its quite possible any takeover/merger could be handled merely with an equity swap.
What AMD has in cash is somewhat irrelevant - what is far more important is whether the two companies are a good fit and whether synergies can be released from any merger/takeover. Another question here I guess is whether AMD, and ATI for that matter, perceive a big future in fully integrated PPU's (physical processing units) way down the line.

Good explanation here of debt v equity v cash for anyone interested.

http://www.performancetrading.it/Documents/AdValuing/AdV_Structuring.htm

well put ocdetective, it's not all about cash(unless we talkin bout the shareholders :p)

technology sharing, equities, and as ocdetective stated, debt

found the real Secret Weapon from AMD....
props to StyM @ xtremesystems on the find...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106812
chuckcpu0sm.jpg

rofl2.gif

Back