• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the heck?! Odd FF issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

Just got this when trying to post on another forum (uses IPB software). For some reason, the normal Reply button has completely vanished, so I use the Quick Reply which is almost identical to the QR we have here (except it opens a Javascript window that isn't there normally). The board admin knows zip about coding so has no idea what's happening or on whose end.

So I went to Quick Reply to a thread, and get this from FF:

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1" :confused:

That's never happened before... I am using NoScript, but have the forum page allowed while blocking the ad sites it has.

Isn't 127.0.0.1 your own computer? If your having problems with that, it's something to do with your TCP/IP.

Sometimes an agressive adblocker will make pages and any elements act wonkey. Try disabling the blockers. Just to see how localized it is.

Then maybe even whitelist it in the adlbocker/noscript. Most ask that you [i.e. - @@www.sitename.com or whatever]. To be able to see blocked stuff on a blocked elelment domain.

I know I had to open up parts of my host after a firefox extension automatically updated and blocked some of my favorite pages and some parts of them.

If you determine it is the adblocker or the noscript. Then it is easier to wittle it down.

Here is a little primer on how it works.
http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/filters.html

Last edited:
Aha. Thanks. Quick Reply does show up only after allowing googlesyndication.com (which is a tad annoying). I'll poke around and see what I can do (given the timing of the vanishing reply button, it seems to have something to do with a recent new site skin, but I'm the only one on that board who uses FF so it can't be duplicated).

If your good with the site dev. Ask him/her what has changed between the skin elements so you can whitelist it. Might make it easier to narrow it down.

I am not fond of whitelisting googlesydication myself. Seems alot of sites are starting to use it too. Least you found part of the issue and can localize it to the site skin/theme. Now it is a matter of finding the whitelists that opens up the elements to you.

Back