• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no boot MSI K8NGM2-FID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbaz

I just put together a comp with a MSI K8NGM2-FID, and the dam thing will not boot... hit the power button and no beeb, no nothin. the fans turn on the drives will open when i press the buttons, but i get no bios screen or error beebs. the psu is good, i just pulled it from another comp to test the mobo. the cpu and rem were from old comps also. i reset the cmos did not help...

bad mobo? or any one have any other ideas?

K8NGM2-FID
2x 256 ddr 400 ram mushkin
using onboard vid and sound
510w psu

try starting it with a graphics card installed and entering the bios. also, what kind of monitor are you using? are you using the vga port or the dvi. the dvi doesnt work with analog converters.

Mine somtimes doesnt like to boot from cold. somtimes i have to try twice to get it to post.
try a a64 cpu too. im not sure if the stock bios supports the opterons or not.

using onboard graphics, tryed a dvi lcd, and a vga crt. did not have a a-64 to try. msi said to rma it, so sent it back to new egg last week. if i have same problems will try installing a vid card. without anny error beebs i have no clue what the problem could be. lets see how the new one will do.

O, and how do you like that 7600? was thinking of getting one if the onboard vid really sucks...

I really like my 7600GS. when i first got it, it was mainly for a low cost hold me over untill i could afford a 7800gtx or whatever. I thought it wouldnt clock untill recently, and i got it going nicely. It outperms my old 6600GT hands down and its passivly cooled, pretty happy with it. also, with a voltmid, it can clock to almost 800mhz, which is somthing i fully intend to try out.

as for the onboard graphics, they are really quite resonable. its not as sophisticated as ati's but its a lot faster and generally performs better. you only get 2 pixel units, but you get a much faster graphics system and it has a hardware vertex unit. so it performs about as well as a 6200 TC card. The dual display feature on the FID is nice too. overall, im very happy with this board and i can link you to a pinmod to get 1.6 volts out of it.

find somone who will let you try an a64 if it doesnt work after rma.. i didnt read anywhere that it supports opterons, and if im not mistaken, most full atx boards dont support it without a bios flash.

thanks for the advice. ill try to "borrow" one out of my moms comp while shes not looking if i have the same problems.

send that link over if you have a chance. I like breaking hardware...

good to hear about that 7600, it looked like a really nice card for the price.

I think the on board vid will work for me. i really want to use this thing as a htpc not a gaming box. just got the tv card in a week ago, trying the new one from NVIDIA.

If you go Here you will find a interactive pinmod just down the page. just put in your starting voltage and desired voltage and it shows what pins to bridge.
I havent done it myself personaly but im looking forward to trying it out when i get my liquid cooling in order.

6150 is perfect for htpc. it even comes with a hdtv and svideo tvout bracket specificly for that purpose. I played games on it. it works heh.

thanks again. I may give it a shot if my opte will not oc a little... will post again when new egg gets the mobo back to me.

new mobo just got in. It booted, but would not install windows. Turns out it does not like my ram. So changed the settings and it installed with no issues. Need to do some reading on the bios settings one of these days, and what drivers you need to install.

you need to get the nforce drivers that support 430's for this board. they are version.. 7 or somthing heh. quite a jump from the 5.10 i ran only a week earlier on nforce 3.

that will give you graphics too if you enable the onboard and it will give you pci express. the bios is kinda limited, but it gives you some memory control. it works just like your A8N =)

Had found this link http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985 , they suggested:

Obtaining Drivers

"Drivers included in the MSI Drivers & Utilities CD are older versions. Download the latest chipset drivers.

ForceWare v91.31 (north bridge driver)

nForce 430/410 Drivers v8.26 (south bridge drivers)

ALC 880 Driver (audio driver)

Unzip and burn them on a CD-R."

seemed strange, but it did not cause a system crash...

also updated the bios to 3.50, did not help my ram issues though.

the anand tech mobo guide is actually pretty good, if you have the time to read it all.

I havent tried to flash my bios yet. I hear if you flash to 3.1++ it allows you to give up to 3 volts to the memory and .01 volts to vcore by disabling cool and quiet. One of these days ill try it out to see. you have a superior chip to me though. if anything, im coming to you in that end =)
so tempted to get a 170 or somthing since prices will start falling soon, but.. thats money i can spend on a 7900GT or even towards a conroe =O!
I guess ill have to play with my chipped, decapitated naked winchester for a few more months =( well, that and saving for my first car "$16,500"

ill give these bios's a shot. I havent tried running foreware 91+ since i have heard of some issues with multiple displays with it *points to sig* the 88 series seems to support the 6150.
glad your board is working. lemme know how the onboard sound is for you. i might use it over my sound blaster live to get more space ^^;;;

Back