• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Explorer defaults to "search"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

When opening up any window either via Windows Explorer or from "My Computer" the window goes to search this folder rather than displaying its contents. How can I change this back to the Windows default?

Start | Run | Type... regsvr32 /i shell32, and click OK. If running that command doesn't work for you, check in the registry under the following key...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Directory | shell

The (Default) String Name should have a Value data of none. To modify the value, right click (Default) and select Modify | In the Edit String dialog that opens, type none into the Value data field | You'll need to reboot after making either of the above changes. This is what the registry key should look like...

Attachments

• Shell key.JPG
    Shell key.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, I didnt have much success tho, the comp didnt recognise the command. I checked the registry option and it was already set to none. Comp still goes straight to search tho. Any other ideas? Anything I can do to help you?

When you typed regsvr32 /i shell32 into the Run box, a dialog appeared informing you that the command wasn't recognized? Which OS are you running?

Back