• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Network Difficulties

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

babygrinder

Right now I have a home network with 2 computers connected wirelessly and then my personal computer wired to the router. All computer's currently have an internet connection. The problem is that only 1 of my wireless computers refuses to be seen in my network places on both of the other computers. The computer that cannot be seen on the other hand, can see and interact with my other 2 computers. I have tired turning off all firewalls and still this issue persists even after running the network setup wizard multiple times. The only time I can see that the computer is there is when I view workgroup computers, but when I click on the computer I tells me I do not have access to the computer :bang head . Is there another way to configure my network without using the network setup wizard, or is there someway I can get this computer to be seen? Any help would be greatly appreiciated. :)

Go to Start > Run > Type services.msc and hit ok. Make sure the Computer Browser and Server service is running. Make sure every PC has these 2 services turned on. Also, if you don't have something shared, the other computers wont see the computer. If you do have something shared and you get a username/password prompt, that means you need to enter the username/password of someone who has access to that share.

Those services are running on all computers, and I never get a password prompt, instead I get a access denied message.

babygrinder said:
Those services are running on all computers, and I never get a password prompt, instead I get a access denied message.

Then your shares are configured incorrectly. Try setting the share permissions as full control to everyone and then lock down security permissions. Security (ntfs) permissions always take precedence over share permissions which is why it's easier to just make share permissioins full control and then locking it down in the security tab. To access the security permissions (the way win2k was), you have to disable simple file sharing by going to a folder > tools > folder options > scroll all the way to the bottom and disabling simple file sharing. This will bring back the security tab. From the security tab, grant access to the username of the username who is going to be connecting. Typically, you want the same username's on all machine's in the workgroup. If you don't want to do it like that, you don't have to. You'll just be prompted for a username of someone who has access to that share instead.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

So I tried reseting the share settings(not sure if I did it correctly) but still nothing is working. My computer and the one other computer can interact flawlessly, yet the problem computer can see my other 2 computers but gets invalid network path messages. So I'm pretty sure the problem lies with only this one computer. All computers are running win xp w/ sp2. The problem computer did have a nasty spywear/malwear infection previously which I think may have caused the problem. This is really an issue because I have all my backed-up files on this computer.

bump, I have the same problem. I have two computers...one running Windows XP SP2, another running Windows XP x64. I also have an Xbox with XBMC. The x64 computer can see the Xbox and XP computer but no one can see the x64 computer.

I've already checked all the basics...

Anyone have any ideas for us?

Back