• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the best CPU. Not for ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M-Bonez

Registered
I will be building a new rig soon, and would like to know what a good cpu(s) would be. I will not be overclocking it at all (at least for now) so I don't want a CPU that OCs well.. Just a stock CPU that plays video games very well.. I was wondering, are the conroes a good choice?

:welcome: to the forums!

ya, the XE Conroe is shaping up to be the best stock performer for gaming in the near future.

the conroe will be ideal for you if you can wait the 3 weeks coming.

And even if it is not, the drop on AMD prices could let you get a good AMD chip for gaming even.

either way, you will have plenty of good options

What other hardware were you planning on for this system and what is your budget?

Mr.Guvernment said:
the conroe will be ideal for you if you can wait the 3 weeks coming.

And even if it is not, the drop on AMD prices could let you get a good AMD chip for gaming even.

either way, you will have plenty of good options

What other hardware were you planning on for this system and what is your budget?

I am looking to go ATI DX10 Video card so that will give me time to save up for the E6600 or 6700 processor... I am really not sure what other hardware I will want...

I want at least 2GB ram
DX 10 video card
160 GB HD

I just want a good processor/Mobo to expand from...
I don't care about the ram and HD as long as they run...
what are the MOBOs that conroe can run on again?
and what are the canadian stores that sell them/will sell them?

Last edited:
Give the mobo selection the same time your giving your GFX and CPU selection, you will get MUCH better advise closer to time to buy.
The ones that do work are few compared to a month or two from now.

i know you said you don't want to overclock, but please understand that a moderate overclock on air can be done both safely and easily. The rig i'm typing on was my first oc'ing experience and it literally took me one day to figure it all out, start to finish. I have subsequently decided on a speed that is both sufficient for gaming and easy on the volts. I definitely respect your wish to NOT oc, but i just wanted to chip in that it is nothing to be apprehensive about if you take 30 minutes to learn:beer:

BTW, E6600, yeah!!!

greenmaji said:
Give the mobo selection the same time your giving your GFX and CPU selection, you will get MUCH better advise closer to time to buy.
The ones that do work are few compared to a month or two from now.

Ditto on the mobo advice ... only a few expensive conroe ready boards out now. And while all the cedar mill/presslers will do a modest oc easily on air, i too would advise one of the afordable conroes, especially if you pay your own electric and AC bills.

And :welcome: to OCF :)

cozmo_d said:
Thats going to be a 1000$ Processor, unless you have money to burn, Check out these processors.

Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor..... http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=3

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116239

What is the difference between these two? basically, i see a single core with HT versus a dual core without HT. which one of these two will perform better?

also, what about this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001
it is about half as much, will it perform?

The 940 has two phisical cores, and the 640 doesnt have HT IIRC but even if it did it wouldnt perform as well in multitasking. Even if I was to give pressler advice I would have recomended the 930 a few months back ;)

Back