• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Core Temp" - CPU Temperature monitoring tool for the K8 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Version 1.6 - 18th February, 2017

- Fix: Runaway memory leak on some machines.
- Fix: Bus clock detection on Apollo Lake processors.
- Fix: Occasional 'to TjMax' appearing on some cores on Intel processors. Improved, hopefully fixed.

- Change: Subversion will now be shown in the title and About dialog if it's not 0.

Version 1.7 - 18th March, 2017

- Fix: 'to TjMax' appearing on some cores on Intel processors, should be completely resolved now.
- Fix: Incorrect build date displayed in the About dialog.
- Fix: Power draw figures are all N/A on some Intel systems.

Version 1.8 - 10th June, 2017

- New: AMD Ryzen support.
- New: Power consumption notification area (system tray) icon. (Intel only)
- New: Intel/VIA, right click the Frequency to select which core's frequency to display.

- Fix: Power draw figures are only available on CPU #0 in multi processor systems.
- Fix: BSOD on some Intel systems.
- Fix: Core Temp locks up after waking up system from suspend/hibernation due to overheating protection.
- Fix: AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual Core recognition.

Version 1.9 - 8th July, 2017

- New: Intel Skylake-SP and Skylake-X support.
- New: Preliminary Kaby Lake-X support.

- Fix: Windows 10 support.
- Fix: Sandy Bridge-E/EN/EP, Ivy Bridge-E/EN/EP, Haswell-E/EP, Broadwell-E/EP codename recognition.

Version 1.10 - 5th August, 2017

- Fix: Add correct temperature offsets for AMD Ryzen Threadripper X1920 and X1950.
- Fix: In multi-socket AMD systems, switching into MiniMode would bring up all hidden windows of all running applications and services.
- Fix: Support for MCM AMD CPUs. Only the highest temperature per CPU is displayed.
- Fix: Socket C32 and G34 Opteron code names.
- Fix: On some AMD Opteron systems the CPU model number is not displayed.
- Fix: Detection of the C32 and G34 socket types for some Opteron CPUs.
- Fix: Corrected TjMax on some older desktop Atom chips.

Version 1.10.2 - 7th August, 2017

- New: Support for AMD Bristol Ridge APUs.

- Fix: 1.10 version crash on AMD processors or only populating temperature of first 1-2 cores.
- Fix: Add correct temperature offsets for AMD Ryzen Threadripper X1920 and X1950.
- Fix: In multi-socket AMD systems, switching into MiniMode would bring up all hidden windows of all running applications and services.
- Fix: Support for MCM AMD CPUs. Only the highest temperature per CPU is displayed.
- Fix: Socket C32 and G34 Opteron code names.
- Fix: On some AMD Opteron systems the CPU model number is not displayed.
- Fix: Detection of the C32 and G34 socket types for some Opteron CPUs.
- Fix: Corrected TjMax on some older desktop Atom chips.

That's cool!
Apparently 3Dconnexion is a subsidiary of Logitech. This is the same LCD\driver used on the G series Logitech keyboards, like the G19 etc.
Neat to see it working on stuff I haven't even planned for.
It'd be interesting to see how this screen breaks on CPUs like the AMD ThreadRipper :p

There is arrow keys you can move up and down with, similar to a keyboard I have as well.
Yeah just caught me by surprise that it shows up, and yes it is controlled by the G code. Pretty slick. Another device it can work with :) Add it to your list

Version 1.11 - 4th November, 2017

- New: Support for AMD EPYC (Naples) processors, Stoney Ridge APUs.
- New: Multiple processor group support. Fixes detection of CPUs on multi-socket systems with more than a total of 64 threads.
- New: Support for Intel Coffee Lake, Denverton, Gemini Lake.
- New: Support for Intel Xeon Phi (untested).

- Fix: AMD processor or core recognition issues on multiple generations.
- Fix: Some AMD processors reported incorrect Max temperatures when other hardware monitoring utilities are used.
- Fix: Power detection on multiprocessor Intel machines.
- Fix: Correct topology information on high-end, high-core systems.
- Fix: Check for updates on older operating systems.
- Fix: Settings window Tab control background when themes are disabled in Windows.
- Fix: L1 Instruction cache was reported as L1 Unified cache on most processors.
- Fix: L2 cache was incorrectly reported on newer VIA processors.
- Fix: Multiple other VIA related improvements and fixes.

Hi guys,
Just wanted to let everyone know that a lot of work has gone into this version, mostly internal restructuring/refactoring/fixing/tweaking etc.
I made sure to test this version as thoroughly as I could, especially on different AMD systems, considering the issues the last release has had.
I Hope that this release works well for everyone, and would appreciate feedback if something looks wrong or broken to you.

Version 1.12.1 - 20th May, 2018

- New: Support for AMD Pinnacle Ridge (Ryzen 2) and AMD Raven Ridge (APU).

- Fix: Frequency is always at maximum for early Core iX and Core 2 models.
- Fix: Recognition of some Sandy Bridge Xeon models.

Last edited:
Thank you for making such an awesome program! And updating / perfecting as new CPU generations come onto the market. A must-have tool for every enthusiast overclocker. I have been using on all my rigs for many years.

The only CPU that I have not had luck with is the AMD 970 Black edition rev PH-E0 (Thuban). Core temp works fine when the CPU is locked in as a 4X core, however, when you use ACC to unlock the chip to run a full six cores, it reports a static temp of 32* across all six cores. But I am thinking this is just a consequence of unlocking and not a problem with the program itself. In this case the only accurate reading is the temp sensor for the CPU and not the individual core sensors. I wonder, is there any way you could get core temp to link up with the still working sensor instead of trying for the individual core readings?

Last edited:
The only CPU that I have not had luck with is the AMD 970 Black edition rev PH-E0 (Thuban). Core temp works fine when the CPU is locked in as a 4X core, however, when you use ACC to unlock the chip to run a full six cores, it reports a static temp of 32* across all six cores. But I am thinking this is just a consiquence of unlocking and not a problem with the program itself. In this case the only accurate reading is the temp sensor for the CPU and not the individual core sensors. I wonder, is there any way you could get core temp to link up with the still working sensor instead of trying for the individual core readings?

No core unlocked CPU has working temp sensors. :)
It is a bi-product of the unlock.
You know that AMD only has one sensor, right? They do not have individual core sensors.

No core unlocked CPU has working temp sensors. :)
It is a bi-product of the unlock.
You know that AMD only has one sensor, right? They do not have individual core sensors.

Obviously :) That's why I said it is a consequence of the unlock.

As for temp monitoring, I can only monitor real-time from within AIDA64 and I was asking if it would be possible to modify core temp to read the proper registers as a work around.

aidi64.PNG

It's very likely that AIDA is using the motherboard based CPU temperature sensor rather than the one used by Core Temp.
This has been a long standing issue for AMD processors. Once the ACC option (which is what's used for unlocking) is enabled in the BIOS, there are no temperature reported by the CPU.

It's very likely that AIDA is using the motherboard based CPU temperature sensor rather than the one used by Core Temp.
This has been a long standing issue for AMD processors. Once the ACC option (which is what's used for unlocking) is enabled in the BIOS, there are no temperature reported by the CPU.

Thanks for your response. I assumed it had to do with ACC. Oh well, just thought I'd inquire. Quest goes on for real time temp monitoring.

Version 1.13 - 8th January, 2019

- New: Add support for 2nd generation Threadripper processors
- New: Socket FP5 support.

- Fix: Crash when 5 or more cores exceed overheat protection temperature setting.
- Fix: "No supported CPU detected" on Ryzen processors.
- Fix: Constant frequency readings on Ryzen processors.
- Fix: Incorrect readings on Ryzen processors.

Last edited:
Version 1.14 - 18th May, 2019

- Fix: Ryzen max temperature spikes.
- Fix: Ryzen APU frequency detection.
- Fix: Incorrect frequency detection on some UEFI enabled systems.

- Update: Improve Skylake-X stepping detection.

Back