• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enter The Matrix: Slice out and get the best part from your hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hiya bud.

Having run a few different types of Matrix Raid now, and also run Windows Home Server... I would recommend having a bit of a read about the latter.

I know nothing about Linux and didn't really find the sort of 'file-serving' function in any of the XP/Vista/W7 builds I did, so looked at WHS, and now recommend it for both backing up and media serving in a home network environment. As an aside... it actually makes a lot of sense in some small business situations as you can do bare-metal rebuilds from the backups on the WHS.

In short... it will take any drives you give it and simply bundle them all up together as a storage drive. Within that, you can tell it to store everything in two places, so that if a drive fails, it's still safe in another place. You can also do that with the media that you have in place to share across the network.

I've been running one for several months now and really like it. I'm still learning the 'best' way to have everything, but it is pretty straightforward. I still have backed up individual users data to their own folders, but in reality, it could all simply be on their main PC's and backed up in the usual WHS manner... I just wanted a good start-point of having all the data saved in one central place.

On the other hand... if you do want to set things up using another O/S in a matrix array... I'd be seriously thinking about running a Raid5/Raid5 setup, as O/S speed will not be an issue for what you are doing. That way, if a drive drops its breakfast, the others simply carry on until you replace the stuffed drive, rebuild the new one when introduced (automatically) and carry on. Raid0/Raid5 on the other hand will simply not work when a drive does that, and rebuilding your Raid0 part will potentially give you a bit of grief, and leave your system down until the drive gets replaced and the Raid0 part rebuilt.

If you still want the questions you've listed answered... come back with them again, but in short...
1. If your Raid5 drops a drive, simply replacing the troubled drive as I said, is really simple... the O/S takes care of it all by itself.
2. You want the O/S part slightly larger than you need, as changing it later could cause you some grief (another advantage of WHS... it just takes whatever it needs).
3. O/S... I believe WHS to be the simplest and best for the role you've described, and haven't found other MS O/S's to do the job as well.
4. This is where you do need to experiment a bit with the Matrix... in general, defaults work jst fine, but for those using mainly large files (so not MP3's or the like) then larger sizes can provide a slight advantage in speed.

Hope that helps put you on the right path... "Which pill will you choose?" comes to mind.

Hey mate thanks for getting back to me.

I've definately thought about WHS, though I probably need to do a little more research.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe WHS works via software raid?

I guess the main reason I was thinking Matrix Raid is because I'm planning this build to be quite portable, so I can take it with me when I have a Lan with mates etc.. and I can get really quick read/write speeds when sharing movies etc..

So could I still set up a matrix raid then use WHS as my OS or will this not work?

Cheers

Sam

No worries Sam.

Re this...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe WHS works via software raid?

So could I still set up a matrix raid then use WHS as my OS or will this not work?

WHS used it's own type of software kinda raid, so NO... you can't use Raid+WHS.

I guess another advantage of WHS is (if you have a problem) you can still read the data off the drives in another machine if you have to Vs Raid5 where you cannot.

As for speed of access... not sure, but definitely worth checking/researching.

Sorry guys,
could someone help me to figure out why I'm not able to resize a Raid Matrix setup where I deleted the Raid0 part? I'm using IRSP and is avalable that options, but I'm getting an unknon error when I try to perform that operation...

Thanx,
Adriano

Sorry guys,
could someone help me to figure out why I'm not able to resize a Raid Matrix setup where I deleted the Raid0 part? I'm using IRSP and is avalable that options, but I'm getting an unknon error when I try to perform that operation...

Thanx,
Adriano

Adriano...

Sorry man... I've been flat out doing work for a while.

Did you get this sorted?

If not... can you explain a bit more please what happened and what you are trying to do / recreate?

Thanks

No probs at all mate, and many thanks for you reply :)

I was able to delete then recreate the Raid1 Volume using the Raid Config Utility at startup, where the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) inside W7 was failing, but I forgot to update the topic, my bad, sorry :rolleyes:

Still many thanks & Respect,
Adriano

No probs at all mate, and many thanks for you reply :)

I was able to delete then recreate the Raid1 Volume using the Raid Config Utility at startup, where the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) inside W7 was failing, but I forgot to update the topic, my bad, sorry :rolleyes:

Still many thanks & Respect,
Adriano

Awesome... that was going to be my advice. Any time I have to any changing or re-creating, I virtually always do it in there.

B

At one time or another I have read quite a bit of this thread.
I needed some info/help on a new install. I installed windows 7 64bit. I have 4 250GB seagates. I setup a raid 10 array on the 4 HD's size 80gig. I can create a 2nd volume
but I'm not sure if I need to go back in to bios to setup the 2nd volume or if I can use the storage manger.
My thought wast to setup the 2nd volume as a raid 10 also and use it for storage and applications. That would keep the 80gig volume for OS and games.
I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

At one time or another I have read quite a bit of this thread.
I needed some info/help on a new install. I installed windows 7 64bit. I have 4 250GB seagates. I setup a raid 10 array on the 4 HD's size 80gig. I can create a 2nd volume
but I'm not sure if I need to go back in to bios to setup the 2nd volume or if I can use the storage manger.
My thought wast to setup the 2nd volume as a raid 10 also and use it for storage and applications. That would keep the 80gig volume for OS and games.
I'm not sure of the best way to go about this.

You can use either route... just go ahead and create an additional Raid10 array from the free space - probably easier in Windows if you like.. very 'paint by numbers' approach.

Thanks fritzman. Here is what I got with the new rebuild
specs.
DFI LP UT P35T2R
X6800 Conroe
8800GTX
GSkill 2GB PC8500
4xSeagate7200.10 ST3250820A 250GB
Intel Matrix Raid 10 80GB.

Last edited:
That looks fine... the new 2nd R10 drive is performing about the same as the 1st one, but it looks like the 1st one had a bit going on in the background when you benched it.

I bet they both feel pretty snappy and smooth to use. I still remember the feel of the 6 x drive R10 setups I ran... they were awesome like that.

I'm still holding out for a special on Intel G2 SSDs so I can get back into some multi-drive action. Amazing how we oh so quickly get used to speed and feel.

I'm still holding out for a special on Intel G2 SSDs so I can get back into some multi-drive action. Amazing how we oh so quickly get used to speed and feel.
Ditto :thup:

If I had something that was super fast as a single drive, I wouldn't need to futz around with RAID 0 and I could work on a huge redundant array that was also pretty fast.

Unless you are going to build a light speed xTB RAID 10 or 5 array with those SSDs.

That looks fine... the new 2nd R10 drive is performing about the same as the 1st one, but it looks like the 1st one had a bit going on in the background when you benched it.

I bet they both feel pretty snappy and smooth to use. I still remember the feel of the 6 x drive R10 setups I ran... they were awesome like that.

Feels great, very snappy. Boot times are pretty quick. I setup the second Raid 10 volume using matrix software. LOL simple, simple, stuff.
Can't remember if i can use windows to do a partition on that 2 raid 10 volume. I would basically have
C: my 80GB raid 10
D: my secondary raid 10
Put a partition on D: and then I would have E: Storage

one thing that has been messing with me and I've narrowed down to the Matrix software/ raid array is a Kernel-power Critical error, that pretty much renders the computer unresponsive. No hard crash or BSOD. I still have to do a hard restart, then I end up with the array's being fubared and the arrays have to repair themselves.

Feels great, very snappy. Boot times are pretty quick. I setup the second Raid 10 volume using matrix software. LOL simple, simple, stuff.
Can't remember if i can use windows to do a partition on that 2 raid 10 volume. I would basically have
C: my 80GB raid 10
D: my secondary raid 10
Put a partition on D: and then I would have E: Storage

one thing that has been messing with me and I've narrowed down to the Matrix software/ raid array is a Kernel-power Critical error, that pretty much renders the computer unresponsive. No hard crash or BSOD. I still have to do a hard restart, then I end up with the array's being fubared and the arrays have to repair themselves.

Good skills...

That error... I have never seen one like that... does sound like it's happening deep in the bowels of your array though (I hate the word "kernel" in relation to anything to do with computers!)

I take it you've googled it?

Failing that... I would give Intel themselves a call, and test their support... they may have improved from the early (Matrix) days, and have some tech support available now.

I went so far as to uninstall matrix software. that's when the critical error stopped
I've reinstalled it now, and went in to services and set it to manual. see if that solves the problem. I really don't think I need matrix software running 24-7. if I need it I'll open it myself. May just contact intel support and see if they have had any similar instances of the Kernel - Power error.

Ok... here I am again, two years later. Here's where I left off.

I do have the 4xWD6400AAKS setup running. Been running almost since I made that post... and yep, once again I'm running out of space. In fact this array has been hosted on a P35 platform and it may be time to just make a full upgrade to the rig. SO... with all that said. Where do I go now with my RAID setup?

I'm a fan of WD drives... they've always done well by me. I almost feel that 1TB drives aren't going to be enough of an upgrade in another 4x setup. I'd only be gaining a little over 1TB of usable space vs. my current 4x640GB setup. So I'm thinking I've gotta go w/at least 1.5TB drives.

Looking at the EVDS vs. EARS. Can anyone shed any real world light on the difference besides cache?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136495

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136513

...then there's the Black.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136592

Heat generation and power consumption is definitely an issue for me as I'm an avid Folding@Home contributor (Audio can vouch for me). ;) :D So although the black looks nice... I'm not sure it's the best fit. Looks (based on Egg reviews) that most folks are going for the Green line (probably based on price), but they also probably aren't RAID'ing them either.

Ok... here I am again, two years later. Here's where I left off.

I do have the 4xWD6400AAKS setup running. Been running almost since I made that post... and yep, once again I'm running out of space. In fact this array has been hosted on a P35 platform and it may be time to just make a full upgrade to the rig. SO... with all that said. Where do I go now with my RAID setup?

I'm a fan of WD drives... they've always done well by me. I almost feel that 1TB drives aren't going to be enough of an upgrade in another 4x setup. I'd only be gaining a little over 1TB of usable space vs. my current 4x640GB setup. So I'm thinking I've gotta go w/at least 1.5TB drives.

Looking at the EVDS vs. EARS. Can anyone shed any real world light on the difference besides cache?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136495

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136513

...then there's the Black.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136592

Heat generation and power consumption is definitely an issue for me as I'm an avid Folding@Home contributor (Audio can vouch for me). ;) :D So although the black looks nice... I'm not sure it's the best fit. Looks (based on Egg reviews) that most folks are going for the Green line (probably based on price), but they also probably aren't RAID'ing them either.

Hey... Welcome Back!

I don't personally have any experience with those two drives so can't speak for the differences...

I do understand however, that the Blacks should be kept away from Matrix arrays... iirc, I think it's to do with TLER.

Given the reliability you're used to and the length of time you are keeping the drives... why not go to Raid Edition drives? I think the W/D ones have 64Mb cache and also have the two read heads like the Blacks, just designed for the purpose.

Just my 2c

Hope it helps.

Hey... Welcome Back!

I don't personally have any experience with those two drives so can't speak for the differences...

I do understand however, that the Blacks should be kept away from Matrix arrays... iirc, I think it's to do with TLER.

Given the reliability you're used to and the length of time you are keeping the drives... why not go to Raid Edition drives? I think the W/D ones have 64Mb cache and also have the two read heads like the Blacks, just designed for the purpose.

Just my 2c

Hope it helps.

I've had two blacks in matrix for almost two years now and haven't had any problems...

On another note though: I'm eventually going to switch to another motherboard. Is this going to have any effect on my RAID array? Or should it still function as normal?

I've had two blacks in matrix for almost two years now and haven't had any problems...

On another note though: I'm eventually going to switch to another motherboard. Is this going to have any effect on my RAID array? Or should it still function as normal?

Yeah... I actually ran 4 of them in Raid5 or Raid10 for a similar timeframe and only ever had problems when I was overclocking the hell out of the system., but as I say... they apparently are not recommended.

Maybe someone who has done the transfer more recently than I can assist, but I'm pretty sure that as the information about the array is actually held on the drive itself... you should be fine.

Back