• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32-SLI Deluxe settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
QuietIce said:
Did you look at the bottom of the list? On mine the 2.5 option is the last option - I don't know why ... :dunno:
ROFL I was just comming here to edit that it IS on the bottom for some stupid reason. I have mine set at 2 right now because i have like a 2.5 OC on this right now till the other one gets here and it seems to be fine.

Excellent post and very helpful. Made me rethink my OC and change some things around.

Hello to QuietIce!
I'm new to the Forum, and have been guided here by following a link whilst trying to get to the bottom of probs I am having with my Studio PC.
I have recently built my new PC with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD 4800+ and Corsair TWINXMS4400PRO memory, and was never entirely sure that I was getting the most out of it. Going by the Ai Booster's info, the FSB was around 800 - which at the time I thought to be pretty low, considering the Motherboard advertised 2000 mHz.
I had a few probs with it running sluggishly after a while, so Formatted the Program drive and re-installed XP pro - - now the FSB reads 200 at best, and is VERY irratic! ..sometimes going as low as 90. I have spent most of the day reading up on OC Forums and trying to contact ASUS (no luck!).
I followed your MOST ENLIGHTENING guide! (Cheeeers! :)..) - and have tweaked a couple things (USB Legacy, Onboard Devices), and read that I could Manually set the FSB.
Thinking that I had previously run with 800 FSB, I took it up to 500 to see how that went - I thought I'd killed my PC!!! ...now back at 200 after realising it only goes up to 500!!!! ...what am I missing? I'm sure I can't change the Multiplier, so what am I doing wrong???
To be honest, I don't really want to O'Clock all that much - I just have what should be a NIIIICCCE PC which is running pretty flat!
Sorry this is a bit of a novel.. and thanks LOADS for your time - but I'm pretty foxed here!
Any help with this would be ace..... Thanks again for the info above - all the very best.......graham

Hello to QuietIce!
I'm new to the Forum, and have been guided here by following a link whilst trying to get to the bottom of probs I am having with my Studio PC.
I have recently built my new PC with Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD 4800+ and Corsair TWINXMS4400PRO memory, and was never entirely sure that I was getting the most out of it. Going by the Ai Booster's info, the FSB was around 800 - which at the time I thought to be pretty low, considering the Motherboard advertised 2000 mHz.
I had a few probs with it running sluggishly after a while, so Formatted the Program drive and re-installed XP pro - - now the FSB reads 200 at best, and is VERY irratic! ..sometimes going as low as 90. I have spent most of the day reading up on OC Forums and trying to contact ASUS (no luck!).
I followed your MOST ENLIGHTENING guide! (Cheeeers! :)..) - and have tweaked a couple things (USB Legacy, Onboard Devices), and read that I could Manually set the FSB.
Thinking that I had previously run with 800 FSB, I took it up to 500 to see how that went - I thought I'd killed my PC!!! ...now back at 200 after realising it only goes up to 500!!!! ...what am I missing? I'm sure I can't change the Multiplier, so what am I doing wrong???
To be honest, I don't really want to O'Clock all that much - I just have what should be a NIIIICCCE PC which is running pretty flat!
Sorry this is a bit of a novel.. and thanks LOADS for your time - but I'm pretty foxed here!
Any help really would be ace... Thanks again for the info above - All the very best.......graham

gnoelalexmay said:
Hello to QuietIce!
Any help really would be ace... Thanks again for the info above - All the very best.......graham
You can change the multilier set the FID/VID to MANUAL
Then you will see the options for Voltage and Multipier
Also when you are talking about the FSB running at 2000MHz Are you sure you don't mean the HT Link?
Which is dependent on what you set the real FSB(at least that is how it is labeled) and the K8 to NB Frequency(mine is set at 4X). Where if you are using CPUZ 2000 would actually be 1000 since there are 2 cores.. My suggestion is to read reread and read again this guide. I used NOTHING but this guide :D
Good Luck

Alot of this i would not know if it were not for QuietIce
Yet another reason to make this STICKY!!!

GJ QuietIce :clap: :thup:

Last edited:
:) Hi there QuietIce!
Thanks LOADS for getting back to me... yes - I believe I was confusing the FSB with the HT. It now seems to make more sense now you mention how it is set out. There are three numbers on Ai Booster - one: 200 which I assume is the HT - two:2400 - which I now assume is the overall FSB - three: 200(HT repeated?) ..and the x12 multiplier, which I assume is how the 200 HT becomes the 2400mHz FSB. Hmm.. I think I'm getting it!!:)
In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure of the basics of this, and have been looking for a basic introduction to setting up BIOS/memory/CPU for a short while, but am always a bit scared to try things out, in case I cause irreprable damage to my hardware!
Thanks for the Multiplier tip - Mine is set to x12 - is it a good idea to mess with this?:confused:
I have to admit to not knowing how to work out the best settings for K8 to NORTH/SOUTH-Bridge Freq. and Width, so have the default settings - but I suppose this is integral to the setup?

I read CPU-Z in the previous text, and don't think I have this....?
My setup is...
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual-Core CPU
2xWD Raptor 150gig (Audio Drives)
1xWD 200gig
4GB Corsair TwinXMS-Pro 4400
GIGABYTE NVidia GeForce 6600 GT
E-mu 1820m 18in 20out Soundcard
TC Electronic POWERCORE Firewire Audio Processor

So the PC should fly!!

Sinse my last post, I changed the Ai OVERCLOCKING to 'Standard', so now the HT is variable with the demand on the processor - and the PC is back to how it was - running okay, but I'm still not convinced it's all it should be!
I also changed the Memory voltage to 2.8v (though it says 2.85v on Ai Booster?!) as this was quoted as the testing voltage on their website. I intended to set the latency/timing (CAS?) - but read in your text that the numbers are in a different order, so didn't want to mess it up!!!!!!!!:confused:

Thanks again for your time, Q-I! I am at least happy with the fact that it's running Cubase okay agian, so I can get on with my music! ..can you recommend some good reading for understanding the basics? CHEEEERS.......graham
p.s. STICKY?:confused:

:welcome: gnoelalexmay to the boards!

I know this is all a little over-whelming and some of the naming conventions - both popular use and ASUS - quite frankly suck but we're stuck with 'em. :)

The FSB (Front Side Bus) - or "CPU FSB Frequency" in the ASUS BIOS - is the same as HTT on the CPU-Z read-out and is really a reference clock or "clock" for short. Do not get this confused with the HT Bus speed, which is another part of the system based off the FSB. Since FSB is the most popular term I'll use it (but try not to get too confused when others use something else). The FSB is used to determine the Processor Frequency, RAM Frequency, and HT (Hyper-Transport) Bus speeds. The default FSB is [200].

Processor frequency (CPU speed) is calculated by taking the FSB times the Processor Frequency Multiplier (CPU multiplier or CPU multi), as you've already guessed. Your 4800 has a stock speed of 2400 MHz, which is derived from the stock FSB of 200 MHz times the stock CPU multiplier of 12X. "200x12" is the format often used to show CPU frequency. Using the pics above my CPU frequency is 233x12. This is the most critical number when over-clocking - all other over-clocks are secondary to making the CPU frequency as high as possible.

RAM frequency (RAM speed) is roughly calculated by taking the FSB times the Memclock Value (aka "RAM divider" or "memory divider") divided by 200. This is a very rough value (the actual formula is a little more complicated than that) but it's good enough to get you in the ball park. The default Memclock Value is [200 MHz] and, along with our default FSB of 200 gives us a default RAM speed of 200 MHz (200FSB x 200Memclock / 200 = 200). Since a lot of RAM is built to run at the default of 200 MHz we want to keep the RAM speed near 200 until we find our fastest CPU speed. This is the second most important over-clock but the CPU speed is much more important. I know you've got good RAM there and you can make good use of it after the fastest CPU speed is found.

HT Bus speed is calculated by taking the FSB times the HT multiplier - or "K8 to NB Frequency" in the ASUS BIOS. The default "K8 to NB Frequency" setting is [5X] making our default HT Bus speed 200 x 5 = 1000 MHz. This is the least important speed of our trio and (for the time being) shouldn't go over the default of 1000 MHz.

To recap:

FSB (CPU FSB Frequency [200] default) is the base clock and is used to calculate all other speeds.
CPU speed = FSB x CPU multiplier (Processor Frequency Multiplier [12X] default)
RAM speed = FSB x RAM divider (Memclock Value [200 MHz] default) / 200
HT Bus speed - FSB x HT multiplier (K8 to NB Frequency [5X] default)

To start off use the guide above but set:
CPU FSB Frequency [210] instead of [233]
Processor Voltage [1.200v] instead of [1.325v]

CAS Latency (CL) [3] instead of [2.5]
TRAS [8] instead of [6]
TRP [4] instead of [2]
TRCD [4] instead of [3]

Use all other settings exactly as they are in the pics above (except RAID - don't change your settings for that!) then save your settings and exit.

Good luck and get back to us ...

WOW! Feels like X-mas!
Though I'd make a quick reply to thank you for my welcome, and what looks to be fabulous advice and some insightful info... I'll give it a whirl and get back to you with the results...!
All the best.......graham

:thup: Hi - just in case you get this... I'm half way through the BIOS setup, and am not entirely sure about the 'PROCESSOR VOLTAGE' -

Processor Voltage [1.200v] instead of [1.325v]

I thought I'd better mention that my PROCESSOR VOLTAGE already reads 1.4125 ...is this set too high??:confused: Should I still reduce it to 1.200v..? ..hmm - I think I will, just in case the other settings in your text require this.:-/
Please let me know if this is likely to cause a problem. Thanks!!:)
Will be in touch soooon.......graham:)

:confused: EEEEEK!!!
...just saved settings and exited - and nothing.... Tried the RESET button, and nothing again - though when I by mistake set the HT really high before, the LEDs on my memory were out - this time they're just flickering.
I turned it off, and have left it for 30 seconds - so am gonna try it again.....:burn:

:( :cry: Nope... no good - It said 'Overclocking setup failed' ..or something like that?! ..and to press F1 to re-enter setup...

Luckily I wrote down all changes I made, so can get things back to the way they where, and perhaps try again later. I don't quite have the courage to start making my own alterations yet!

Any idea what went wrong? MEGA-thanks for all your time - :beer:
any ideas would be ace! ...let me know if you fancy a free album!?!?!?!:santa: :attn: (...crazy acoustic-based-sample-laced tunes..! :eek: )
All the best.......graham:)

Just to keep ya up to date on my PC soap-oprah.....!
Whilst returning the settings as they were - I thought I'd try leaving the MEMORY settings (1T - CAS..etc.) - but it was havin' none of it!
It even managed to change the BOOT system, I think..? As after returning the settings, it wouldn't boot, and was asking for me to insert the boot disk, or reboot and change settings.
It's now as it was - but the HT or FSB is still irratic, and before I reinstated the Ai O'clocking to (NOS 5%) it was going down as low as 88.02!!
I'm now working on some audio stuff, and it's taking loads of time to do a pitch transposition which by rights should only take a few seconds. Whilst it was doing this i took a peek at the Ai Booster, and though the CPU meter was reading 80% (which it shouldn't even reach for this opperation) it still wasn't kicking in the Booster until briefly once it was 'too little too late'! (he-he!)
I'm still not sure it's right.... If the BIOS Ai O'clocking is set to [manual] then surely the 200mHz HT should remain exactly that - and not fall to 88.02 at times? ...or should it? hmmmm.....
I queeried this sort of thing with SCAN, who I bought it from - they told me to contact ASUS, but they tell me that the Serial Number is wrong when I try to register for support!?!?!??! ..ODD?
My gosh... I'm writing a short Novel again... sorry! Well, that's it so far. Thanks for all your help. All the best.......graham
p.s. What do you do?? Gaming? Video, Audio? Work?
Cheeeers!

At this point I'd say it's time to start your own thread. It looks like we're quickly leaving the basic settings of the motherboard and moving into an OC tutorial. Starting your own thread will help b/c many who have already seen this thread might look at your new one and I need a fresh look at what you're having problems with. :)

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44 ... and click the "new thread" button on the right hand side. Be sure to include "A8N32" in the title so everyone will know what board you've got ...

Back