• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confused and frustrated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greyharte

okies so here's what it boils down to

i can clock my cpu prime stable to 304x9 (2.73ghz) but can only drive my ram to 195.4mhz

or i can push my ram prime stable to 225.0mhz but can only drive my cpu to 275x9 (2.47ghz)

any attempt to loosen or tighten ram timings fails

mushkin basic pc3200 2.5-3-3-8 1t

should i be considering doing the v-mods, is this an issue w/ the ram or something else im missing like maybe installing heatsinks on the ram?

and which variation am i more likely to get better gamming performance from?

Last edited:
I would think 2.7ghz is better for gaming..

Hmm if you use A64Info v0.5 you can set dividers like 140, 150, 180. I'm sure this will give much better options for you. i.e for 304 you could use 140 giving 210mhz on RAM or 150 giving 228mhz on RAM. :beer:

Not sure about your RAM but you can find out if it reposnds to voltage, some do some don't. Also I would definitely do vcore mod to 1.55v, the VID mod would be prefect for it, might find a higher CPU OC but then might start running into HTT barrier which would need maybe the HTT [Vldt] and north bridge mods [Vdd]!!

CPU VID mod is very easy, most simple way is using some conductive paint and an upside down pin then just touching the small blob of paint between gap.. it will spread and join the two joints naturally no problem.

Imo Asrock deserves it's own subsection now don't you think? I think Nvidia has baught ULi but still, Asrock stands strong now amongst it's competitors.

Last edited:
RAA said:
I would think 2.7ghz is better for gaming..

Hmm if you use A64Info v0.5 you can set dividers like 140, 150, 180. I'm sure this will give much better options for you. i.e for 304 you could use 140 giving 210mhz on RAM or 150 giving 228mhz on RAM.QUOTE]

hmmm ... okies running a64 v0.6 beta ... doesnt have those options ... ill go d/l the 0.50 and give it a try certainly cant hurt

nm ... found it in the 0.6 version just looking in the wrong place

Last edited:
greyharte said:
okies so here's what it boils down to

i can clock my cpu prime stable to 304x9 (2.73ghz) but can only drive my ram to 195.4mhz

or i can push my ram prime stable to 225.0mhz but can only drive my cpu to 275x9 (2.47ghz)

any attempt to loosen or tighten ram timings fails

mushkin basic pc3200 2.5-3-3-8 1t

should i be considering doing the v-mods, is this an issue w/ the ram or something else im missing like maybe installing heatsinks on the ram?

and which variation am i more likely to get better gamming performance from?

Grey,

I think you need the vcore and vdimm mods. Your symptoms are typical. This board only puts out about 2.7v for your RAMS and you are probably way past for overclocking. It doesn't take much of an OC to push your RAMS from their default 2.6v to 2.8 and over. Might as well do both mods. It's exactly what's holding me back. RT

Last edited:
RollingThunder said:
Grey,

I think you need the vcore and vdimm mods. Your symptoms are typical. This board only puts out about 2.7v for your RAMS and you are probably way past for overclocking. Might as well do both. It's exactly what's holding me back. RT

thanks for the feedback ... ill look into it a bit more then ... was hoping to avoid that

greyharte said:
thanks for the feedback ... ill look into it a bit more then ... was hoping to avoid that
Use a64info this way:
set cpu speed to 224 (your ram's highest stable speed is 224 ?)
then set memory divider to 200/400 in bios. this put the ram @ 1:1 ratio.
set the memory timings (CL, TRCD, TRP, etc..) to auto.
set command rate to 1T.
leave other bios settings the same as you have them now.
boot to windows. open A64info, and take a screenshot of it.
your ram speed should show 224, same as your cpu fsb.
A64info, has a memory calculator. play with the calculator and see at what divider your ram speed will be close to 224 and cpu to 2.7 ghz.
since the bios only has 100, 133, 166, 200, use any of bios dividers that falls below the a64info other dividers (140,150,180)
Lets say A64inf shows 2.7ghz using 150 divider mem @ 225.
go to bios and use 133 divider. come back to windows and change all timings shown on screenshot (that you took before).
change the timings located on top row after you change the timings in the columns below it. hit set botton every time you change a number. do it one number at the time and press set botton.
final step is to change the divider from 133 to 150.
your done.

appreciate the info OC

ochungry said:
Use a64info this way:
set cpu speed to 224 (your ram's highest stable speed is 224 ?)
then set memory divider to 200/400 in bios. this put the ram @ 1:1 ratio.
set the memory timings (CL, TRCD, TRP, etc..) to auto.
set command rate to 1T.
leave other bios settings the same as you have them now.
boot to windows. open A64info, and take a screenshot of it.
your ram speed should show 224, same as your cpu fsb.
A64info, has a memory calculator. play with the calculator and see at what divider your ram speed will be close to 224 and cpu to 2.7 ghz.
since the bios only has 100, 133, 166, 200, use any of bios dividers that falls below the a64info other dividers (140,150,180)
Lets say A64inf shows 2.7ghz using 150 divider mem @ 225.
go to bios and use 133 divider. come back to windows and change all timings shown on screenshot (that you took before).
change the timings located on top row after you change the timings in the columns below it. hit set botton every time you change a number. do it one number at the time and press set botton.
final step is to change the divider from 133 to 150.
your done.

not sure i completely understand this ... perhaps if i explain better ...

if i set my htt to 275x9 and my fsb frequency to 166 my ram frequency will read as 225/450mhz prime stable in cpu-z

if i set my htt to 304x9 i have to drop my fsb frequency to 133 and my ram freq will read as 195/390mhz prime stable in cpu-z

if i set to 225x9 i can take my mem freq to 1:1 (200) and read 225/450mhz prime stable in cpu-z

ANY attempt to boost or change mem settings in a64 results in a freeze or restart, the only change i could make and maintain stability was to go to 3-3-3-10 1t (stk 2.5-3-3-8), but i cant seem to make ANY other timing or memory changes any my ram definately not prime stable above 225/450

so essencially to hit 2.7ghz on my cpu i have to underclock my mem to be able to oc my mem i dont realize the full potential of my cpu maxing at only 2.4ghz

Last edited:
greyharte said:
appreciate the info OC

not sure i completely understand this ... perhaps if i explain better ...

if i set my htt to 275x9 and my fsb frequency to 166 my ram frequency will read as 225/450mhz prime stable in cpu-z

if i set my htt to 304x9 i have to drop my fsb frequency to 133 and my ram freq will read as 195/390mhz prime stable in cpu-z

ANY attempt to boost or change mem settings in a64 results in a freeze or restart, the only change i could make and maintain stability was to go to 3-3-3-10 1t (stk 2.5-3-3-8), but i cant seem to make ANY other timing or memory changes any my ram definately not prime stable above 225/450

so essencially to hit 2.7ghz on my cpu i have to underclock my mem to be able to oc my mem i dont realize the full potential of my cpu maxing at only 2.4ghz
here what you do then:
save the A64info setting (275x9 mem @ 225) to a folder and name the file (like "mem225").
Then reboot to bios and change to 300x9 using 133 divider (it's called divider, not htt fsb). 300x9, using 150 divider will put memory speed @ 225/450mhz.
then boot to windows, open A64info window, and then press "load" botton.
choose the file you saved "mem225".
press open (in choose a file window).
then press set botton, will load the "mem225" settings.
After this is loaded, then choose "150" divider, and are done.
you can use 304x9 and "150" divider, but memory will be # 228/456 mhz. It could be stable, But if not, lower it to 303x9, and try againg. do it 1 mhz at the time untill you are stable.

NOTE: I said take a screenshot in my former reply, but forgot about the save and load options of A64info. So, dont need to take screenshot, just save the good setting to a folder and lad it when you need it.

also noticed an interesting annomoly ... when set to 300x9/133 divider the spd settings in cpu-z reads slot 1 as 320mb ... reads 512mb when using 275x9/166

greyharte said:
also noticed an interesting annomoly ... when set to 300x9/133 divider the spd settings in cpu-z reads slot 1 as 320mb ... reads 512mb when using 275x9/166
well cpuz does that once in a while, specially when ram is not stable. close and open cpuz couple of times until it corrects it.
try 300x9 first (using 133 divider). Then this time change the timing one # at the time (the columns below cl, tras,trp,trcd). Then change CL, set, TRP,set, TRAS,set, TRCD,set. last, change divider to 150 from 133.
If @ 300x9 does not work, try lower speed (295x9, and work your way up)
BTW, post all your bios settings and let me see if anything needed to change.

thanks oc ... here's my current settings:

oc mode: cpu, pcie async
cpu freq: 300
pcie freq: 100
boot failure guard: enabled
spread spectrum: disabled
cool n quiet: disabled

multiplier voltage change: manual
processor multiplier: x9 1800mhz
processor voltage: 1.400 v

memory clock: 133/266
flexibility option: disabled
cas: 2.5
tras: 8
trp: 3
trcd: 3
trrd: 2
trc: 11
ma timing: 1t
burst length: 4 beats
bank interleave: auto
memory hole: disabled

agp apature size: 128
agp data rate: 8x
agp fast write: disabled
primary graphics adapter: agp

cpu nb link speed: 600mhz
cpu nb link width: 16bit
nb-sb link speed: 600mhz
nb-sb link width: 16bit
htttopci bridge decode scheme: auto
dram voltage: high
gated clock: disabled
agp p2p deep fifo: disabled

Last edited:
Did the changes in red color.
cpu freq: 300
pcie freq: 100
boot failure guard: enabled
spread spectrum: disabled
cool n quiet: disabled

multiplier voltage change: manual
processor multiplier: x9 1800mhz
processor voltage: 1.450 v

memory clock: 133/266
flexibility option: disabled
cas: 2.5 try 3 also
tras: 8
trp: 3
trcd: 3
trrd: auto
trc: auto
ma timing: 1t
burst length: 4 beats
bank interleave: auto
memory hole: disabled

agp apature size: 64
agp data rate: 8x
agp fast write: disabled
primary graphics adapter: agp

cpu nb link speed: 800mhz
cpu nb link width: 16bit
nb-sb link speed: 800mhz
nb-sb link width: 16bit
htttopci bridge decode scheme: auto
dram voltage: high
gated clock: disabled
agp p2p deep fifo: disabled

Doesn't boot failure guard need to be disabled?

I found out that default for Max Async Latency is 9 and default for read preamble is 6. These helped make things more stable on my system.

Found this out from the bottom of memory timings in bios is an extra timings options with these settings in it. Don't change them in biois but put to manual and make note of them, then set back to auto and use those settings in A64Tweaker. Reason got to set to auto is because I found it wouldn't post sometimes on manual.

Good tip too is to load stable settings after a crash, load windows then reboot to keep OS running ok.

Last edited:
well even after going thru my settings as above ... the only way i can hit a 150 mem divider is dropping htt all the way down to 275x9 everything else results in a reboot or freeze ... pushing my vcore past 1.425 results in no boot

i did go ahead and disable boot failure guard no difference ... and from elswhere i tried putting agp fifo to auto, also no help

my max async lists as 7ns and read preable as 7.0ns in a64 ... im not sure where you are pulling that info from RAA as i dont seem to have that in my bios and my ram is mushkin basic -5b not corsair ... im thinking that i may need to break down and replace ram before i can go any further w/ this and maybe the v-dimm mod jury is still out on that

so im still stuck in that mode of tweek for max cpu or tweek for max mem ... but not both

Last edited:
greyharte said:
well even after going thru my settings as above ... the only way i can hit a 150 mem divider is dropping htt all the way down to 275x9 everything else results in a reboot or freeze ... pushing my vcore past 1.425 results in no boot

i did go ahead and disable boot failure guard no difference ... and from elswhere i tried putting agp fifo to auto, also no help

my max async lists as 7ns and read preable as 7.0ns in a64 ... im not sure where you are pulling that info from RAA as i dont seem to have that in my bios and my ram is mushkin basic -5b not corsair ... im thinking that i may need to break down and replace ram before i can go any further w/ this and maybe the v-dimm mod jury is still out on that

so im still stuck in that mode of tweek for max cpu or tweek for max mem ... but not both
The new bios's don't have preamb and async anymore, RAA is probably using older version.
I think your are right about the ram reaching its limit. vdimm mod may help some for this kit but almost necessary for any new memory kit you buy.

OC,

What's "memory hole" and "agp p2p deep fifo" in the latest BIOS?

I suspect the latter is not relevent if I am using a PCIe card?

RollingThunder said:
OC,

What's "memory hole" and "agp p2p deep fifo" in the latest BIOS?

I suspect the latter is not relevent if I am using a PCIe card?

Memory Hole Creates a memory hole between 15M and 16M in order to have the PC compatible with some old video cards using this memory area. About 1mb of memory is lost if enabled. keep it disabled.
According to ASRock, the Deep FIFO setting is a patch for the 6600LE AGP video card. FIFO= fist in first out

okies .... im back ...

managed to work out a deal ... traded my 3 sticks of mushkin basic pc3200's for 2 sticks (maybe matched pair) of corsair cmx512-3200c2's (xms32c2v1.2)

starting from the begining .... lets see where i can go now :)

Last edited:
Back