• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need your opinion - Chipped core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

What happened, is last night, after a recent installation of Linux, I left the room for half an hour while something was compiling, and I come back, the computer is off. My first suspicion is that the power supply finally decided to die. I'm pretty sure that's the problem, as nothing powers up under that PSU, but after connecting a crap test PSU, the mobo emitted a single (and quite piercing) tone until I shut the PSU back off. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a POST code, there's nothing documented on my motherboard for a single, non-ending beep. It does it regardless of whether or not the processor is in. So I'm asking your opinion on a (possible) chipped core.

dcfc0203io4.jpg

I have a fairly crappy digital camera, hard to take high-quality close-ups. Excuse that. I'll take more pictures tomorrow when it's bright out.

I had a tbird that had similar damage to die edges that worked despite the fact. It actually still runs great today. I suppose it's the luck of the draw as to whether it will still functoin when you start taking chunks out of it. :(

I really wish I could test the motherboard, but I don't have any spare SA processors, and same for the processor, no spare motherboard. It's hard to tell just which component has gone bad with such a lack of test hardware...

It doesn't really matter, it's nearing time to upgrade, I'm getting an A64 S939, so I'll be happy :beer:

The back of a die had no circuits eteched into it so chips there only affect the cooling. Dies are mounted face down on the lead carrier (the thingy with the pins sticking out the otherside). Look for fissures running into the base. those would surely sever the cuircuits. This may be an issue with the board or that MayPop psu is not supplying enough 12V.

I don't know if it could be that the die is chipped, but I'm doubting it due to my experiance with chipped cores.

My 2600+ has a chip on the die and a chip on the edge, and it's still running fine.

My 3800+ X2 has been chipped on the two longest sides, all the way down each side, because of the Scythe Ninja's way of being installed, and I don't experiance any problems.

See if you can borrow a friend's CPU to test it, or possibly take it to a comp shop and ask them to put a CPU in and test the motherboard for you. It's better than buying a new CPU if it actually turns out to be the motherboard.

If the thing was running when you left the room, I don't really see how the chipped core could be the issue. I'm not ruling it out. Just funny that it was running fine then, while under load, POP. Perhaps the mobo just let go. Or, well could be the proc anyhow.

Either way, welcome to S939

soulfly1448 said:
If the thing was running when you left the room, I don't really see how the chipped core could be the issue. I'm not ruling it out. Just funny that it was running fine then, while under load, POP. Perhaps the mobo just let go. Or, well could be the proc anyhow.

Either way, welcome to S939

What he said

Was it chipped when you installed the sink?
If yes, look how long it was good for.

If not, looks like you chipped it when removing the sink.

I got a 2600+ for free, good condition, tried using one of those 'shims' to protect it, busted the corner off the core lol, cpu was dead

Sorry for the small bump, but...

Amazing, this entire time, it was the video card. Why I didn't think of it before is beyond me, but now I'm quite glad I did. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 AMD64 version, and DAMN it is fast.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
Sorry for the small bump, but...

Amazing, this entire time, it was the video card. Why I didn't think of it before is beyond me, but now I'm quite glad I did. I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 AMD64 version, and DAMN it is fast.
Rock On! :thup:

despite you finding out the problem and what not at the same time if it was the processor it is just a duron

Niku-Sama said:
despite you finding out the problem and what not at the same time if it was the processor it is just a duron
Hey, I could overclock that thing like mad. I got a 60% overclock on that. It was hot as hell, but it was stable :bday:

Back