• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SuperCinema: >60" HDTV/LCD Projector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Fx-53 said:
Not supposed to be doing that. Hes building this projector(unless i misread something) off of plans bought at lumenlabs.com. Those plans are sold, and ar proprietary. If your interested in looking at the basics, drop into there forums. If you want details.....your going to have to buy the guide.

BTW, this has nothing to do with an overhead projector. If you want to see what hes doing, go to lumenlabs...

uh We can ask for all the pictures in the world of it. If the plans are proprietary then he could refuse to give us those BUT pictures of everything excluding those are fine and free.

One question about this, does this work the same as using a 32" LCD tv as a monitor?? You end up with a 60" monitor that only does 1024x768?

If that is the case I can see using it for a HTPC or similar but I have never been able to grasp why you would want a 60" equivalent of a 15" screen.

On the site they tell you that use the highest quality LCD you can. Smaller is better, but you can only go so small before resolution drops below something useful, and/or cost becomes prohibitive.

They suggest 15"-19" LCDs with the highest resolution and lowest response times you can afford.

Maviryk said:
...You've got vignetting! Get a precondenser!...
By precondensor I assume you mean colliminator(SP?) lense? I do have one. Once you start trying to take pictures of the screen you'll find it greatly exagerates the darkness of the corners, especially that close to the screen.

No no, it's an additional plano-convex lens that's placed between the collimating fresnel and lamp. It helps the light distribution and uses more of the light emitted from the lamp.

Some pics:

Having fun with LCD w/o polarizer, and some excess polarizer

From top left to bottom right: 19" Widescreen LCD, LCD frame, large fresnel lens sheets, overhead projector lens(sitting on the covered lenses) LL Pro triplet, LL Reflector:

My box materials. I've decided against MDF, too heavy and bulky for my tastes, so I got some aluminum angle and some gatorboard.

The box will be built this weekend. Bulbs will be ordered on Friday when I get paid.

i didnt know your were makin a projector when you posted the pics with the film off of it, and this is an interesting way of doing a projector, i am gonna keep up on this and you should publish how your doing this some place, some times other people dont explain it as well.

i've had a old 19 inch LCD for a while i got for free with out a power supply and base so i want to do something like this

Ballast just came in for the lamp. My lamp mount and the lamp itself should be coming by Friday.

I've also got the base of the projector cut out of some plywood.

Pictures of the Schematics. I didn't have any CAD software and don't feel like pirating any.

Projected dimensions of the completed projector will be 1'x1.5'x2.5'

Did you remove the polarizer on purpose or did it come with the anti-glare? I too have been recently exploring lumenlab; I will be following your results.

I recently threw together an OHP setup; 3M 9800 with a dell 153fpb. I am extremely happy with the results. I will eventually build something of higher quality but for now as a college student I will stay on the cheap. The entire setup cost me about $130. I snagged the dell 153fpb on ebay as nonfunctional and as I suspected it was just bad backlight. I paid $25 for it and it doesn't even have a bad pixel! I have been meaning to remove the anti-glare; it works so well however that I hesitate to potentially cause the problem of replacing polarizer. I will post pics if I ever get a digital camera. Good luck.

Polarizer was an accident. I meant to only take off the AG. Whoops!

Just got a call from the etailer I orderd my lightbulb from... it's on back-order and I won't get it until Wednesday... bah!

So much for having it ready for Halloween.

Any updates on the project so far?

By the way, where did you get that screen and how much did it cost? My school has ones like that, but my school replaces projectors every few months so it's really hard to tell how much their stuff costs.

Hey I've got a question only tangentially related to the project. Is it easy to replace the polarizer on most screens? Reason I ask is I think the polarizing filter in my notebook is damaged (everything looks perfect head on but if you view it from an extreme angle the backlighting looks like it is leaking out at certain places.). How much does a sheet cost and where can I get some?

thanks.

Seven said:
Any updates on the project so far?

By the way, where did you get that screen and how much did it cost? My school has ones like that, but my school replaces projectors every few months so it's really hard to tell how much their stuff costs.

Updates yes. Lotsa pics, not enough words, will put together later.

Screen was off of Woot.com. $35 + $5 shipping.

SuperFarStucker said:
Hey I've got a question only tangentially related to the project. Is it easy to replace the polarizer on most screens? Reason I ask is I think the polarizing filter in my notebook is damaged (everything looks perfect head on but if you view it from an extreme angle the backlighting looks like it is leaking out at certain places.). How much does a sheet cost and where can I get some?

thanks.

Not sure if that's a polarizor issure. It's relatively easy to remove using the soak technique. I got my replacement polarizor from polarization.com .

Bah, uploading pics. Updates in a sec.

Picture of my awesome kitchen counter... Since I can't afford a garage or a proper table, I have to make do. This is a pic of me clamping down aluminum channel for cutting.

The main framework for the projector is made from this, joined together with pop-rivets. I also used it to mount the frame of my stripped down LCD panel.

Added some crossmembers near the midsection of the framework to mount the LCD, and eventually, the fresnels.

Made a height adjustment for the light/reflector tray. Anyone else reminded of a waterblock mount on a mobo?

Made the light assembly mount out of some 1/4" oak sheet. I love my B&D jigsaw.

Put the light assembly in place, after drilling some holes and cutting out a circle for the reflector. I also found a way to mount the reflector using a few washers. Haven't mounted the lightbulb mount yet since I dont' know how big it is or where the filament will sit.

Mocking up the placement of all the hardware. Its missing the pair of fresnels that will sit underneath the LCD.

I still need to make a front surface mirror. I bought a mirror today and stripped it, but for some reason the rear of the mirror was gold, not silver. So I'll have to look for a different one tomorrow.

That's it for tonight. See ya'll next time.

OMG OMG OMG. I got my lightbulb in... it's really bright... OMG OMG OMG. Pics in a few hours. I'm not going to bed til it's finished!

oh come on. be a trooper. You have to be the one to blaze the path!!! Actually I am up trying to save all my sisters computer files after her harddrive decided to go crazy. Fun stuff. Hopefully I will be turning in soon myself. Look forward to seeing the finished product. A little side note: My sisters computer is an old IBM Thinkpad A22p. 5 years old. Want to know what the NATIVE resolution is on that baby? 1600x1200. On a 15". That would be a sweet projector but alas I believe laptop screens are basically junk if seperated from the computer at all....

Teaser, it's not done yet. But it's working. I have neck cramps from staring up at it.

That little bright screen on the lower right is my 21" Samsung 215TW. For reference sake.

Back