• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SuperCinema: >60" HDTV/LCD Projector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Objective: Build a digital projector capable of creating 60" and larger high definition images, capable of accepting Component, Composite, S-video and VGA inputs.

Materials:
10,000-30,000 Lumens projection lamp (400-600watts)
400-600watt transformer
Large Fresnel Lense
15-17" LCD screen and controller
MDF
Aluminum Square
Heat sheild
GlassReports
Projector lense
Wood glue
Fans

Requirements:
$600 budget limit
Accept VGA, Component input
720p Capable
Reliable for extended usage (1 year+)
Low noise

General workplan:

MDF will be used to house the entire setup. Fresnel lense, projector lense, and power source will be obtained from an overhead projector. General plan is that Lamp will be the white light source. Light will pass through the fresnel lense and redirected through the LCD screen. Projector will then focus the image onto a flat surface.

Plans will have to be modified in order to project the image onto the screen at an offsett angle, so that the image is not distorted and maintains its aspect ratio.

Last edited:
been to lumenlab eh?

if i find funds ill try to build one as well, im lookin for a 350 or 400 price range, many used parts from ebay. inverter and lcd, not sure for lenses yet tho.

Well, been putting it off for a while, but got some parts now:

76" 16:9 Projector Screen $35
19" Xerox Widescreen LCD 1440x900, 2 VGA inputs, 1 DVI input $155
Pro Kit (Feild fresnel, condenser fresnel, and a pro Triplet) $205
Lumenlabs Pro Reflector $15

~$400 out of 600 spent.

Got the projector screen off of woot. Ordered the Prokit and reflector off of lumenlabs last night. Today I found the Xerox widescreen monitor.

So far I've only dismanted the LCD monitor. I would have posted pics, but my apartment is a mess... so not now. In the process of soaking the LCD screen to remove the Antiglare in order to improve projected brightness.

I still need to build a box and get a lamp + ballast.

Some good news and some bad news.

Good news: Anti Glare removal was successful.

Bad news: I took off the polarizing filter along with the antiglare.

Now I either have to buy a polarizing lens or some polarizing film to replace it. But on the bright side whatever I get it's bound to be better than the stuff that was previously on the LCD.

High Contrast Polarizing Film $90

Looks like I'm now down to $120 for the rest of my projector.

Sounds interesting. Interested in some pictures (Your apartment couldn't be THAT bad, could it?).

SICK I love these kind of projectors!!

Good luck I'll be watching closely!

Parts update:

Replacement Polarizer film arrived today, so did my 76" widescreen projector screen from Woot.

I cut the polarizer down to size to fit the LCD screen. Doesn't look like much of an improvement over the original polarizing film, but that can't be helped since I've ripped up and wrinkled the old film.

Found out what "refurbished" means when woot says it. The projector screen was all banged up. I had to take it apart and tweak the wind up mechanism so it would roll itself back up. That and pound/bend out a few dents and dings. But still a good screen for 35 bucks.

My triplet and fresnels have arrived at lumenlabs, they will be shipping it within a week or so.

Ordered an Avermedia TV Box 9 for $100. I really didnt' need this, but I have some games I'm still partial to on my Xbox. Plus I figure it won't hurt to give the projector S-video, Composite, and Component input capability.

That leaves me about $20 bucks to buy material for the box, a lamp and ballast, and w/e else I need.

Looks like I'm going over budget after all.

That and I have a $134 ticket for expired plates, my car needs new tires, $800 in bills are due, and worst of all, an extremely messy apartment.

I hate the end of the month.

Pics will come this weekend when I get done paying bills and cleaning the apartment.

Some teaser pics:

LCD Screen before I stripped the antiglare off of it.
dsc01092ie6.jpg

The 76" Projector Screen
dsc01093ak1.jpg

Took a pic of the door for reference on how big it really is.
dsc01094ga2.jpg

Sorry about the large pics, I can't do thumbnails for some reason.

what guide are you referencing ? i read a few back in the day and have always wanted to build one .. you are a lucky man once its all done :D

Sweet!

The only downside to these Overhead LCD Projectors is the poor glass quality that is used in Overhead projectors

jcw122 said:
Sweet!

The only downside to these Overhead LCD Projectors is the poor glass quality that is used in Overhead projectors

Who said anything about OHPs? The quality of the finished image will rival that of $3-5,000 commercial projectors.

No new pics this post, but updates on what is going on.

I'm switching from the 400w MH bulb to a 150w ceramic MH bulb. It is a more efficient light engine that converts more electricity to light than heat. I won't have to worry about my projector being a space heater now! This also means that I can now use a couple ADDA fans instead of the Sanyo Denkies I was planning on using.

This weekend was mostly research into optics and where to place all the lenses I will be using. Apparently using a 19" widescreen monitor is not the wisest of choices, due to it's width I'm having a very hard time finding fresnel lenses big enough to encompass it.

I'm also in the process of rearranging and cleaning up my living room... the dirty laundry has been picked up and put away. Spare computer parts however... I bought a shelved plastic tote to put away my tools and miscellaneous computer components, IE screws, wires, fans, cords.

My breakfast room is filled with shipping boxes from the stuff I've bought on OCF.

This week is dedicated to cleaning up my apartment and waiting for more parts to come in. Yes my apartment is very dirty. I'm a bachelor.

DvBoard said:
Sounds interesting. Interested in some pictures (Your apartment couldn't be THAT bad, could it?).

Not supposed to be doing that. Hes building this projector(unless i misread something) off of plans bought at lumenlabs.com. Those plans are sold, and ar proprietary. If your interested in looking at the basics, drop into there forums. If you want details.....your going to have to buy the guide.

BTW, this has nothing to do with an overhead projector. If you want to see what hes doing, go to lumenlabs...

Actually, the "plans" are free. I haven't designed the box yet, hence why I've not posted any pics. I'm waiting for the parts to get here. The plans are FREE and OPEN to the public... But I'm not following those plans. o_O

then theyve changed the policy since last year. Sorry havent even been on the forum recently.

Im thinking about building one after i get the WC loop setup. I want a bigger monitor, but i dont want to spend that kind of $$ to get a big LCD

I'm not sure how bright a 150W bulb is gonna be but you're more than welcome to try :D I finished my Lumenlab projector about a year ago and was blown away with the result. Here's a sample of mine.
mesurfacemount1.jpg
I used the standard light kit from lumenlab and the pro refelctor.

The 150 watt bulb is supposed to be a lot better, lower heat and better clarity. The arc length is smaller so it has less wasted light.

You've got vignetting! Get a precondenser!

UPDATE:

I've gotten the triplet, lenses, and box materials.

Will be making the box out of aluminum square and gatorfoam.

Still need to order my lamp, ballast, and mount.

As for the messy apartment, the living room and bedroom are clean. Bathroom, kitchen, and breakfast room are still a mess. Breakfast room has a million boxes in it.

w00t!! Awesome, I recall hearing about this before but never realized how cool it could be :) So much for my idea of buying a 24"+ widescreen TV.. im going LARGE now :)

I cant wait to see the pics log :)

Maviryk said:
Who said anything about OHPs? The quality of the finished image will rival that of $3-5,000 commercial projectors.

My bad, I guess the design your working on is different that what I thought it was...I was thinking you were mounting an LCD screen to an overhead projector as I've seen in the past for makeshift LCD projectors...

Got a picture or example of what your projector will look like, or a picture of the design?

Back