• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

server problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmt391

alright this ones gonna be tough.....

i work at a chain of clothing stores and I go to different ones different days (my dad is the manager of a efw so i pretty much go where he goes when i have work bc hes my ride n stuff) - I just do stock work and whatnot

at one of the stores the server is being a real pain in the *** (each store has a server and 2 or so PC's that function as a register) When they "poll"(not 100% sure what it is but it involves inventory with the other stores n stuff) it takes about 10 minutes to get to 99% then about another 30 until it freezes n they have to start all over. All the other stores get through it 5 mins no problem. Other apps in windows run fine. (BTW OS is winxp idk if its server edition or pro or what)

and then later in the day, i was putting hangars on shirts, and the server just shut down. No BSOD or error code or anything. I have come to these 2 conclusions -
it could be a RAM problem, but that would give you a BSOD no?
or a heat problem.

problem is, I didn't have time to get CPU-Z or anything like that so all i know about it is it has a p4 in it bc of the sticker on the front. (we needed to leave when we closed bc we had company coming over so next time i go there I'll do that) The PC brand is CAM, they make PC's specialized for retail stores.

also, There's no way i can run memtest because they need it running during the day, and in order to run it overnight I'd need to be going there 2 consecutive days(the people there aren't exactly the most computer literate) which is rare.

btw the reason I'm working on the PC there is bc my dad knows i know a lot about PC's so i offered help.

So what do you guys think? sry for the long post btw

SeasonalEclipse said:
Sounds like it might be the PSU to me. Id suggest checking that out first.

I have no spare ones, and that would take a lot of time, and there really isn't much of that.

what makes you think It's the PSU?

jmt391 said:
I have no spare ones, and that would take a lot of time, and there really isn't much of that.

what makes you think It's the PSU?

A lot of times a random shutdown with no BSOD means the PSU could not keep up.

Back