• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

micro soldering service?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

I wanted to get to as many people as possible if you're wondering why (general computer disc)

I have an odd request. A very odd request. I was wondering if there's anyone here or if anyone knows of a place that would be able to do a really tiny soldering job for me. I'm not even sure this is a possible thing to do but I'd like some input from here.

Briefly, I want to replace the connector on a laptop DVD-RW drive. Is this or is this not possible? The reason is, I have an IBM DVD-RW that I want to put in my sony but for some reason IBM had their drives made with a proprietary connector instead of the standard 50 pin. It's really the same thing but slightly different and thus won't fit.

all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Um, are you sure the IBM drive isn't simple in a detachable caddy that includes an adapter? Apple is the only modern manuafacturer that I know of that uses non-standard 50-pin ATAPI connections (theirs are roated 180-degrees.)
Every IBM drive I've bought on Ebay had standard 50-pin ATAPI. What's the make/model number of the drive?

THanks for the quick reply capt. You know what they say, you learn something new everyday.

So here it is. The proprietary Ultrabay slim connector.

up next is the standard 50 pin connector that is on the old drive.

and the following is another image from different angle. Blurry but as you can see.....A LOT of pins. Somehow I don't see a possibility of a connector switch?.... Unless we have miracle makers here.

some additional info which I pretty much just went over,
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_build_your_own_UltraBay_drive

Back